April Sailings

fudge

I think zero chance, at the moment. Until a huge percentage of the population has been immunised, surely cruises cannot possibly start. Sorry to be a party pooper but April isn't far away and look what a mess we are still in.

We have booked the 14 day Gems of the Venetian Empire  (Piraeus to Piraeus) itinerary departing Sept. 18, 2021.  We decided that April or May journeys are more likely to be cancelled than those departing in the fall.  We'll see.  This will give us time to get vaccinated.

15 hours ago, offtoalaska said:

We have booked the 14 day Gems of the Venetian Empire  (Piraeus to Piraeus) itinerary departing Sept. 18, 2021.  We decided that April or May journeys are more likely to be cancelled than those departing in the fall.  We'll see.  This will give us time to get vaccinated.

Getting a vaccination will not be enough.  You will need to provide some sort of evidence and at the moment governments show no interest in this so-called 'Covid Passport' because having a vaccination might still mean you are a carrier.  Also, even if you solve these issues, you need to know that every country you are scheduled to visit will allow cruise ships at their ports and that's unlikely this year.  You also need to know that each country has conducted its own vaccination programme to allow shore excursions etc.  Every cruise line will have to somehow guarantee that every crew member has received a vaccination.  And there is the issue of travel insurance which is a quagmire at present.  And finally you need to be quite relaxed about the possibility of a two-week quarantine somewhere along the line.

Edited by Fletcher

On 1/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, fudge said:

We are looking to book a cruise around the Greek Islands in April, on a scale of 1 to 10 what are the chances of it going ahead do you think?

If you are thinking April 2021 then it's not even a 1....I'd go for zero....If April 2022 then a 9 from me!

On 1/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, Fletcher said:

Getting a vaccination will not be enough.  You will need to provide some sort of evidence and at the moment governments show no interest in this so-called 'Covid Passport' because having a vaccination might still mean you are a carrier.  Also, even if you solve these issues, you need to know that every country you are scheduled to visit will allow cruise ships at their ports and that's unlikely this year.  You also need to know that each country has conducted its own vaccination programme to allow shore excursions etc.  Every cruise line will have to somehow guarantee that every crew member has received a vaccination.  And there is the issue of travel insurance which is a quagmire at present.  And finally you need to be quite relaxed about the possibility of a two-week quarantine somewhere along the line.

We’ve booked on this cruise as well but seriously thinking of cancelling.  The virus is spreading rapidly here in Spain and I cannot see the Spanish government permitting cruise ships to arrive.  Roll on 2022 but let’s hope that Seabourn will honour our FCC, we had enough trouble with our current one.

This was sent to me from Trip Advisor.  Not good news.

Dear traveler,
Are you considering an international trip? If so, read on. The CDC has issued a COVID-19 order that may impact your plans for re-entering the United States.
Effective January 26, 2021 travelers arriving in the U.S. must:
1) Get tested for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before departing to the United States and show a negative test result to the airline before boarding OR 2) show documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding.
This new order applies to all air passengers — including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents — aged 2 years and older. It also applies regardless of the length of time spent outside of the United States.
Acceptable documentation of recovery from COVID-19 includes both a positive viral test result within 3 months of travel (or the time period specified in current CDC guidance) AND a letter from a healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger is cleared to end isolation.
Passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will need to delay their travel until they meet the criteria to end isolation; learn more here.
Need more information? Visit this FAQ page at CDC.gov.

We just got our “65+” first covid shot via one of our county’s vax centers.  In California.  Got an appointment two weeks after registering.  Lots of friends and family also getting them.  All adult Americans should be good to go by July:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/there-will-be-enough-covid-vaccines-for-the-entire-us-adult-population-by-june-doctor-says.html

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

All adult Americans should be good to go by July:

Unfortunately the vast majority of the world will not be in that position so I fear you won't be going anywhere, at least not on a cruise ship.  My earliest expectation for any kind of serious resumption of international cruising is early 2022.  

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Unfortunately the vast majority of the world will not be in that position so I fear you won't be going anywhere, at least not on a cruise ship.  My earliest expectation for any kind of serious resumption of international cruising is early 2022.  

I agree. And although a vaccine prevents you from getting very sick, you can still carry the virus and infect others. Not many countries will therefore welcome you. 
I can see exceptions however. Bermuda expects to have all residents vaccinated by March so sailing from the US to Bermuda with only vaccinated Americans on board could happen this summer. 

Edited by florisdekort

On the subject of future cruising and when they might go I am afraid that there is no clarity yet. On the other hand I take comfort that we are making slow but steady progress with the vaccines as we envision down the road a recovery of the business.

Fletcher and florisdekort have hit on the big issues. Might I suggest that anyone considering a cruise itinerary do so with these practicalities in mind. We have a Silversea cruise in Nov., 2021 for 16 days which I hope will go. It’s from Athens to Dubai. The only stops are Israel, Egypt and Oman. Assuming the ship is in position and we get to join in Athens the itinerary looks promising since Israel, Oman and Dubai are reportedly doing well with their vaccinations and can probably continue to treat their people with whatever top up vaccine may be developed to cope with the new strains. I expect that Egypt will be dropped.

We have bought the air and hotel package from the cruise line so we are protected in the event the cruise is cancelled. Not only that but the fares were far better than I could find online- so another suggestion.

Happy and healthy sailing!

There is at least 40% of the adult population (some sources state more) who will not take the jab for whatever reason.  So, hopefully the pharma companies have the vaccine for everybody but that doesn’t mean all will take it.

More cancellations to come and now I think my 4th quarter prediction for a resumption of cruising is optomistic

Ragnar, the cruise is the Silver Moon, 1-17 Nov., 2021. I booked it onboard sister ship Muse last Feb. 

I find the Muse, Moon and Dawn FAR more appealing than the other ships of the line. I tried Whisper and Cloud. No comparison.

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Haha, at this point I would do a “cruise to nowhere”, with everyone on the ship having been vaccinated.  Especially a ship with a “toys” platform and zodiacs, in a tropical setting 🙂

Us too.  We have the 21-day holiday Panama Canal on hold for December and have already discussed still going even if it ends up being mostly onboard time (it’s already something like 13 sea days) because right now we are excited by the prospect of leaving our house and having someone else look after us for a bit.

• Like 1