NCL Breakaway - Solo dining reservations

JKMBC

I know the odds of going on my cruise this April is slim to none. However I'm trying to book reservations on the website. Since I'm traveling solo and when I try to make my specialty dining reservations, it will only allow me to book in Even (2, 4, etc.) numbers. 

If possible, can I book my reservations before I arrive on the ship? Do I book for 2 people and just show up? Will NCL charge me for 2 people? I've never traveled solo before and really excited since I got myself a balcony room. 

TIA!

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to say. I have made reservations online for one on other NCL ships (Gem and Epic).

I've seen before that the online reservation is sometimes hinky when reservations first open. If it doesn't clear up, don't hesitate to telephone.

12 minutes ago, JKMBC said:

I know the odds of going on my cruise this April is slim to none. However I'm trying to book reservations on the website. Since I'm traveling solo and when I try to make my specialty dining reservations, it will only allow me to book in Even (2, 4, etc.) numbers. 

If possible, can I book my reservations before I arrive on the ship? Do I book for 2 people and just show up? Will NCL charge me for 2 people? I've never traveled solo before and really excited since I got myself a balcony room. 

TIA!

Make reservations for 2. You can update your guest count on embarkation day or at the restaurant. Unless you are at a fixed price restaurant (e.g., teppanyaki, moderno, dinner show), there is no additional charges for fewer people. I would avoid booking for more than 2 people because you will be taking a larger table... in which case book on embarkation day. 

We just made [hopeful] dining reservations for our April cruise and did not have any problems booking 2-tops for all nights. 

• Like 3

I believe all, or most anyway, specialty venues have 2-tops as the smallest table.  Even if you were to just show up and ask for a table it'll be a 2-top.  For the a-la-carte venues this isn't really a problem, just book the 2.  When I went on Bliss in October 2019 there were 3 of us, we booked Le Bistro for 4, showed up as 3 and they told us it was going to be the 4-seat table so it didn't matter anyway.

You could always book for 2 (or more) and see if someone from the solo meetup wants to join you.  On my first Bliss cruise there was a group that met up on the previous cruise (they were solos and all doing B2B) and had reservations for 6 the first night and only 4 of them.  They asked if anyone was interested so I joined them and ended up having dinner with them 2 more nights and toured the city at one of the port stops with a couple of them.

• Like 3

In general you should be able to book on board with no problem, also as someone mentioned you could also see if any other solos want to join you, they can usually accommodate

I really enjoyed my time on the Breakaway and hope to return one day to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Common question! No problem to book for 1 more than your party size. I have done that many times.

And the opposite is also true.  On occasion, I've been able to book for 1 when we are 2, but since two-tops are the minimum seating, there is always room for two.  Once on board, I've confirmed the reservation and NCL staff said there was no issue doing this.

• Like 2

A few years ago my travel mate did not have the correct papers and was not allowed on board (ship would have let her on, but customs most probably would not have allowed her back into the country). I sailed without her and had no problem at the restaurants telling them my companion had not been allowed onboard. In fact, the wait staff could not have been kinder to me (a single, older woman) and I felt pampered. You could also try not  making reservations and simply show up at the time you'd like to eat--although it helps to be flexible--there are always tables kept open for walk-ins.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that, at the main dining rooms, you may ask the host to be seated at a “sharing table” with 3-7 other passengers.  Some enjoy this option (I do), some don’t.  When I do dine alone, I bring my Kindle along.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 11:13 PM, JKMBC said:

TIA!

Book the table for 2. Think about going to the solo meetups that happen around 5. I have met up with people who I ended up going to dinner with who have booked a table and have had extra space available. Also if you have a good solo coordinator, they can help you get a table reservation and sometimes even arrange for a group to go to a specialty restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

Sometimes when I reserve a table and come alone I am offered a table for four persons. I mean usually I try to enjoy myself but not take too much of my time to allow a company of people to also arrive and enjoy their stay. While those lone tables, I usually spend there a lot of time - especially when I can charge my phone or a laptop 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JKMBC said:

Thanks everybody! I went ahead and booked Cagney's and Ocean Blue. I'm really looking forward to Ocean Blue as I have never eaten there before.

Warning: If you dine alone at Ocean Blue, the server will still bring out enough bread for two people. It's so addictive that you will eat most of it, leaving less room for dinner. And you might not care.

Ask me how I know...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1