Questions - No Costal cruise - time needed to exit the ship when returning to Bergen and distance to airport from pier

Peggy Sue

Hi,

We are booked on a September 2021 Norway Coastal cruise.  This will be our first experience with Hurtigruten and hope someone will be able to assist with our questions.  The day we return to the port of Bergen, which I believe is a 2:30 PM arrival time, how long does it usually take for passengers to be able to leave the ship, collect luggage, etc?  We only have experience with the mainstream cruise lines, where you do need to add in at least an hour+ after arrival to plan arrival at your next destination. 

Also, we will be flying from Bergen to Oslo on the day we return to Bergen .. how far is the airport from the cruise pier what type of transportation is available?  Should we make an advance reservation with someone, and if so, any suggestions for a vendor.   We are a party of 3.  

We are from the Boston and Seattle area and we sincerely hope we will be able travel in September and enjoy this cruise.

Thank you for your kind assistance.   

I can't answer your questions but would like to make a suggestion. If you haven't already booked your air, could you spend at least a night in Bergen and take the (famous) train to Oslo,spend a night there and then fly home. The train is supposed to be incredible and we liked Bergen a lot. We had actually planned a OW after a RT last year but it got canceled. We had planned a little time in Oslo. 

• Like 1

The new time of arrival in Bergen is 2:45pm.

Distance to airport is about 10 miles. Normally it will take 30 minutes to leave the ship and collect luggage. You can purchase transfer through Hurtigruten - can be purchased onboard - alternative is taxi.

The train from Bergen to Oslo as suggested by Clo is a very nice option.

Hurtigruten is different from ‘traditional’ cruises. Many short stops along the route - one longer stop (about 3 hours) each day. Just ask all your questions.

How many days and early/late September? September is good time for Northern Lights.

you can get some inspiration at my northern Lights Cruise

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peggy Sue said:

Hi,

We are booked on a September 2021 Norway Coastal cruise.  This will be our first experience with Hurtigruten and hope someone will be able to assist with our questions.  The day we return to the port of Bergen, which I believe is a 2:30 PM arrival time, how long does it usually take for passengers to be able to leave the ship, collect luggage, etc?  We only have experience with the mainstream cruise lines, where you do need to add in at least an hour+ after arrival to plan arrival at your next destination. 

Also, we will be flying from Bergen to Oslo on the day we return to Bergen .. how far is the airport from the cruise pier what type of transportation is available?  Should we make an advance reservation with someone, and if so, any suggestions for a vendor.   We are a party of 3.  

We are from the Boston and Seattle area and we sincerely hope we will be able travel in September and enjoy this cruise.

Thank you for your kind assistance.   

Bergen is certainly worth spending time in and the rail journey to Oslo is well recommended. Having done western part of it I can recommend that.

Re disembarkation & journey to airport:

Disembarkation is by deck (largely as this is the sequence that bags are unloaded in). You collect them from single airport style carousel in terminal. If you're in a rush you can keep your luggage and carry/wheel it off ship yourself.

I have never had issue getting flights from 1700-1730 onwards. Hurtigruten do offer flights so suggest asking them the earliest flights they would offer after a Bergen arrival.

It is worth being aware that whilst airport is pretty close to city/quay the traffic can get (very) busy from mid-afternoon onwards.

If you want to get a cab (as "cheap" as Hurtigruten shuttle for 3 I think) it's worth booking in advance.

Having booked cabs in past they may not be much/any quicker than the shuttle coaches.

Hope this is helpful.

Fair Winds & Weather.

Thank you for all the very helpful information!

Our travel plans to Norway were originally booked for September 2020.   We moved our cruise to September 2021 last spring with the offer from hurtigruten to move forward due to Covid.   
We will be flying into fly Oslo and will spend a couple of nights and then take the train to Bergen.  We are looking forward to this train journey. 

which brings me to another question....what ticket vendor do you recommend.  We did not have a good experience with our chosen vendor last year...they would not refund or offer a credit for use in 2021.  We never received the tickets we paid for.   Any suggestions for purchasing tickets, best place to sit etc will be appreciated.

In 2020 Icelandair was flying out of Bergen direct to Iceland.  Today, we have to return to Oslo for our flight to Iceland.   We plan to spend a few days in Iceland before returning Home.  We hope we have opportunities on board our cruise and in Iceland to see the northern lights!  

thank you!

peggy

Thanks for the more detailed descriptions.  This makes it easier to make recommendations.

I usually buy my tickets at vy.no - the possibility of changes or refunds depends on the type of ticket.  If you buy ‘Flex Refundable’ you can get your ticket refunded for any reason.  They should also be able to purchase cancellation insurance.

Tickets can be purchased no earlier than 90 days before the trip.  You can possibly use the vy app for purchases and as a ticket.

Regarding flights to Reykjavik, you can either travel from Bergen (BGO) via Oslo (OSL) or Copenhagen (CPH) to Reykjavik (KEF).  It should be possible to travel the same day - alternatively an overnight stay either at Oslo or Copenhagen Airport.

Excellent  with the additional days in Reykjavik- enhance the possibility to see the Lights. Good chances for Northern Lights in September.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, Peggy Sue said:

We plan to spend a few days in Iceland before returning Home.

As touristy as it sounds (and honestly is) don't miss the Blue Lagoon. We adored it.