Can crew be vaccinationed by April?

nini

I was pondering the "Vaccination Schedules" for our different countries

and then it struck me. If the schedules are determined by age and medical need,

how does this affect the majority of crew members?

I imagine most are in the younger groups and very healthy and thus,

do not fall into these categories. And I am sure the various health

organizations would hardly classify their occupation as "Essential"

or whatever term is used.

Thoughts?

If cruising does start in April, I don't see any way for crew to be vaccinated by then.  If the big cruise lines are going to be sailing in April or May, it will be without all crew and passengers being vaccinated. I assume you picked April because that is the target date  for resuming sailings and I expect more cancellations to be announced.  

• Like 1

If cruising does restart in April it will only be with a few ships.  That means far less crew members than if the entire were starting up at onetime. So yes I think the crew needed to be in on the beginning will be able to get the vaccine by the cruise line in order to start business again.

Edited by Potstech

39 minutes ago, skynight said:

A lot depends on where they live. For example Israel expects to vaccinate the entire population by the end of January.

I have never seen a crew member from Israel on Princess...

I have seen quite a few from Ukraine in dining.   Ukraine doesn't expect to BEGIN

vaccinating people until 2022.

Perhaps princess will work with a doc-in-the-box near ports to vaccinate crew.

Given the chaos Ron DeSantis has created in Florida, it seems to me to be pretty likely

that enough corporate cash could get a supply of vaccine to:

Some cruise line...

Or professional sports team...

Or college sports team...

I have seen lots of news reports of people in florida waiting in long lines (even overnight)

for a shot.   

The other day, I saw a pickup truck on the highway ... with a porta-potty in the back.

A dream vehicle for long waits.

With an opportunity to make some extra money from your waiting-in-line 'neighbors'.

If I had such a truck, I wouldn't be posting, I'd be driving it to Florida.

• Haha 1

Among the topics that are really at the crux of this concern are the issues stocking enough vaccines in the Philippines and the new variant originating from UK and South Africa, the latter of which has prompted concerns of vaccine efficacy (whether or not this issue will be solved tomorrow or months from now, it is still a massive PR debacle if cruise lines naively went ahead without considering crucial medical guidance). One interesting tidbit to note is Indonesia has chosen to prioritize the working over the elderly for vaccinations to try and achieve its unique form of herd immunity. Regardless, Western and developed countries are definitely getting access to vaccines faster, which complicates global distribution matters, especially pertaining to crew members coming from mostly Eastern Europe and S/SE Asia. 

Anyways, when it actually comes to sending crew to ships, I was perusing the RCI board and one who claimed they were a crew member currently onboard a ship said that the new variant was making it much harder to safely gather even the necessary minimum amount of crew. Putting it bluntly, they basically said that in the current state of affairs, nothing is really indicative of any return to normalcy any time soon. In their words: "It's hard enough getting 100 crew to a ship right now. 2500 for the big ships is damn near impossible at the moment."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ships all have an onboard medical staff, fully equipped ER etc.  They could easily vaccinate the entire crew quickly if they can get the vaccine.  I would think that wherever the ships get their medical supplies, they can also procure the vaccine for their crew.  This is not a challenge and does not depend on a particular country or state like FL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The ships all have an onboard medical staff, fully equipped ER etc.  They could easily vaccinate the entire crew quickly if they can get the vaccine.  I would think that wherever the ships get their medical supplies, they can also procure the vaccine for their crew.  This is not a challenge and does not depend on a particular country or state like FL. 

Sounds as tho cruiselines would negotiate directly with pharma for their needs?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Sounds as tho cruiselines would negotiate directly with pharma for their needs?

I do not know how they obtain their medical supplies but assume it is done from a central office and distributed to the different ships.  They probably contract for it.  I doubt they pay US prices like we pay at the drug stores/pharmacies.  

Another issue besides the vaccine is getting crew back that want to work, given that like us, they may not be allowed to go off the ship by themselves. This was one of the reasons for working on a cruise ship, the ability to visit & see other place around the world. So if they have these restrictions we’ll have to wait see. 

I know someone with Princess on the entertainment staff & they won’t know anything until the end of March. It takes around 90 days with rehearsals before they’re ready to preform. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I have seen lots of news reports of people in florida waiting in long lines (even overnight)

for a shot.   

Some of those lines are just to get an appointment for a shot which will be obtained at a later date.

My guess is that the cruise lines will vaccinate their own crew members. The issue will be having to wait the 3-4 weeks fir the second shot!!  If they vaccinate by Feb then the second shot will be given before April so it should work out!!!

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Some of those lines are just to get an appointment for a shot which will be obtained at a later date.

Not true. The shots are being given on the spot. This is only happening in certain counties. Our county is giving out appointments only no lines. As of yesterday Publix grocery store pharmacies are supposed to start taking appointments also. Still waiting for our day and time...

19 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

No Chaos in Florida, 65+ getting vaccines.  

So, frontline healthcare workers done?

First responders done?

Essential workers done?

Long term care facility staff and residents done?

Those with underlying issues done? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

So, frontline healthcare workers done?

First responders done?

Essential workers done?

Long term care facility staff and residents done?

Those with underlying issues done? 

Well when 45% - 50% say they don't want it or refuse it...  Get outta the way and let the next group roll in.  It's call assessing the battlefield....

• Like 4

20 hours ago, nini said:

I was pondering the "Vaccination Schedules" for our different countries

and then it struck me. If the schedules are determined by age and medical need,

how does this affect the majority of crew members?

I imagine most are in the younger groups and very healthy and thus,

do not fall into these categories. And I am sure the various health

organizations would hardly classify their occupation as "Essential"

or whatever term is used.

Thoughts?

Apologies for any hijacking.  To answer the question posed here.  Does not look logistically possible, but the cruise companies have done some amazing things in the past 11 months.

Cheers