Can crew be vaccinationed by April?

nini

20 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The ships all have an onboard medical staff, fully equipped ER etc.  They could easily vaccinate the entire crew quickly if they can get the vaccine.  I would think that wherever the ships get their medical supplies, they can also procure the vaccine for their crew.  This is not a challenge and does not depend on a particular country or state like FL. 

Getting a vaccine that has super-sub-artic storage and handling requirement to ships at ports around the world is 'not a challenge' ?!?

Maybe you can advise Grant Tarling...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Getting a vaccine that has super-sub-artic storage and handling requirement to ships at ports around the world is 'not a challenge' ?!?

Maybe you can advise Grant Tarling...

There are 5 vaccines & only 1 requires sub-artic storage (Pfizer does, Moderna / AstraZeneca / Janssen / Novavax don't)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

There are 5 vaccines & only 1 requires sub-artic storage (Pfizer does, Moderna / AstraZeneca / Janssen / Novavax don't)

Agreed.  The vaccination does not have to come from the US.  The UK, China and other nations have vaccinations and only one has to be held at subzero levels.  It would not be practical for ships to use the Pfixer version.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Princess is not sailing before May 15, 2021

Yup! I got the word about 4 hours ago from someone on our Roll Call

for the May 2, 2021 British Isles cruise. 😰

Princess has cancelled all cruises through May 14, 2021.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, Roberto256 said:

I have never seen a crew member from Israel on Princess...

I have seen quite a few from Ukraine in dining.   Ukraine doesn't expect to BEGIN

vaccinating people until 2022.

Perhaps princess will work with a doc-in-the-box near ports to vaccinate crew.

Given the chaos Ron DeSantis has created in Florida, it seems to me to be pretty likely

that enough corporate cash could get a supply of vaccine to:

Some cruise line...

Or professional sports team...

Or college sports team...

I have seen lots of news reports of people in florida waiting in long lines (even overnight)

for a shot.   

The other day, I saw a pickup truck on the highway ... with a porta-potty in the back.

A dream vehicle for long waits.

With an opportunity to make some extra money from your waiting-in-line 'neighbors'.

If I had such a truck, I wouldn't be posting, I'd be driving it to Florida.

What chaos?

12 hours ago, pms4104 said:

So, frontline healthcare workers done?

First responders done?

Essential workers done?

Long term care facility staff and residents done?

Those with underlying issues done? 

Since 80% of the deaths in the US being reported as COVID are 65 years old and over.  I think Florida is being smart to include that age group in the first group. Florida has administered the 3rd highest number of shots of any state.   Probably a different group and challenge administering vaccines (and storing them) with Long Term facilities.  I would be very surprised if this is not being addressed.

• Like 3

Vaccine wont be available for everyone here in Europe and in my country of Serbia, before summer... So far we are getting only vaccine for medical staff, old people (65+), army and police.

So even if you want to get this bio-weapon u cant. and you will not be able to get one before summer.... Summer is more realistic than march or april for vaccine.

Only way to get vaccine onboard is to find a vaccine which can be stored on normal temperature like Russian is and MOderna.... but,so far ships are not priority 

• Thanks 1

We just got our appointments with Publix grocery store pharmacy. Mine is today and hubby on Saturday.   YIPPEE!!

The medical ,front line responders and nursing homes have been getting shots since before Christmas. We over 65 folks just started in some counties but not all yet. I have 5 high risk conditions but the Governor bypassed that group and went to all over 65's. He does not do much that makes sense but this time he got it right!

Now if UK would get it under control I will be able to go see my 96 and 99 year old parents as soon as I have my second shot!! Have not been able to see them since Oct 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Since 80% of the deaths in the US being reported as COVID are 65 years old and over.  I think Florida is being smart to include that age group in the first group. Florida has administered the 3rd highest number of shots of any state.   Probably a different group and challenge administering vaccines (and storing them) with Long Term facilities.  I would be very surprised if this is not being addressed.

65 and over....Thanks to our awesome governor!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Our governor here in FL has done a remarkably bad job of managing the pandemic health issues. Much of this misery could have been easily avoided with proper public health protocols. The missteps are legend, with a DeSantis press accompanying each one.

Having lived down here on and off since the mid-60’s, I must tell you I love the natural beauty of this state, and especially its shorelines. The state’s historical sites are fantastic. One word I will never use to describe FL in any way is smart, in fact, dumb wouldn’t even come close to being a strong enough adjective!

I really hope we’re in the top three for vaccinations, as we’re in the top three for population. Top three for new infections, absolutely, as we’re well up top for deaths. Top three in wealth, of course we’re there, and we also jump right into the top three in food insecurity. Unemployment and homeless are rampant, and the shelters are disgusting. Top three for number of our state resident living in temporary housing, top three for residents dying in nursing homes, too!

The hits just keep on coming down here in FL. How can we open the ports, or even the airports, when our positivity rates are 10-15% in the surrounding counties, 5% supposedly is the goal? Lines for tests are huge, lines for vaccinations even longer. Not likely to get any better for the oldsters, or the youngsters or anyone at risk anytime soon either, as distribution on the vaccine is way behind, 

We just can’t wait for a new governor, or better governance wish he was term-limited out now, can we have an election tomorrow? How about a recall vote?

Since Christmas, cases here have been exploding, Two weeks from New Year will be the 14th, we’ll see if the curve has flattened, my prediction is that it will have steepened dramatically instead. Cruising restart out of FLL, MIA or TPA? No tome soon unfortunately. This is really getting old, yes I get the “Glum Gloria” award for today.

Cheers

Doc Ruth

P.S. For those that are interested:

image.png.aa56e1492d0b1b666ab761aac8c53d0b.png

Edited by docruth

Well, as mentioned, April is no longer the target date ...

But, one also has to keep in mind that of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, they not only have to be given with two doses, somewhere around 3-4 weeks apart but, then another 2 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness.  So, the shortest period of time to actually ensure 90%-95% effectiveness would be to get the vaccine starting around the first week of April for a May 15th sailing.  

My doctor seems to feel by spring, everyone here in California will have the opportunity to get the vaccine.  I don't know if that's true or not ... it's maybe what he told me to keep me holding on throughout this lockdown.  You know ... boiling the frog ever so slowly.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ombud said:

There are only 2 that currently have emergency use authorization in USA.

And, the one that doesn't have extreme storage requirements should be targeted to rural, and and other

isolated areas that have no way to maintain the Pfizer storage requirements.

Not to crew,  so Mickey Arison can make money again...

Texas is allowing 65 and over to receive the vaccination by appointment.  Partner received the first vaccination today with a follow up in 4 weeks.  I have an appointment for tomorrow.  They are giving out plastic cards with a CDC approved logo testifying the vaccination was received with the date and agency administering the vaccination.  In our case it is the public hospital outreach program.  They posted the availability of the vaccination, rules (group 1B) and opportunity to make an appointment.   Within 5 hours the slots were all filled until they get another shipment.  

3 hours ago, docruth said:

I really hope we’re in the top three for vaccinations, as we’re in the top three for population. Top three for new infections, absolutely, as we’re well up top for deaths. Top three in wealth, of course we’re there, and we also jump right into the top three in food insecurity. Unemployment and homeless are rampant, and the shelters are disgusting. Top three for number of our state resident living in temporary housing, top three for residents dying in nursing homes, too!

I didn't believe it when I read it here, but I checked, and it is true.   Florida is about middle of the road in vaccinations per capita.

However, DeSantis excells at not controlling the spread of the virus.   With no offense to other states, he is the leader!

But, the whole thing is shameful.   States knew that vaccines were 'coming soon' in October.

Apparently they started planning for how they would be used only after they got the Fedex delivery

notification.

Just shameful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, docruth said:

Our governor here in FL has done a remarkably bad job of managing the pandemic health issues. Much of this misery could have been easily avoided with proper public health protocols. The missteps are legend, with a DeSantis press accompanying each one.

Having lived down here on and off since the mid-60’s, I must tell you I love the natural beauty of this state, and especially its shorelines. The state’s historical sites are fantastic. One word I will never use to describe FL in any way is smart, in fact, dumb wouldn’t even come close to being a strong enough adjective!

The hits just keep on coming down here in FL. How can we open the ports, or even the airports, when our positivity rates are 10-15% in the surrounding counties, 5% supposedly is the goal? Lines for tests are huge, lines for vaccinations even longer. Not likely to get any better for the oldsters, or the youngsters or anyone at risk anytime soon either, as distribution on the vaccine is way behind, 

We just can’t wait for a new governor, or better governance wish he was term-limited out now, can we have an election tomorrow? How about a recall vote?

Since Christmas, cases here have been exploding, Two weeks from New Year will be the 14th, we’ll see if the curve has flattened, my prediction is that it will have steepened dramatically instead. Cruising restart out of FLL, MIA or TPA? No tome soon unfortunately. This is really getting old, yes I get the “Glum Gloria” award for today.

Cheers

Doc Ruth

Actually Florida is only the 23rd highest rank state in deaths per million in the US.  Better than the national average.  Also  26th in cases per million.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

Ships are based in places other than USA

Thank you.  I had no idea.

The critical path is vaccinating crew on which ever ships sail first.

In my opinion, these will be sailing from US ports.

That seems reasonable, based on current location of princess

ships -- which is overwhelming near US ports.

You might review this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767404-thread-tracking-princess-ship-movements-and-restarts-winter-2020-onwards/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-60656819

Edited by Roberto256

Those Princess ships are foreign registered and their crews are foreigners. Why would you think that vaccines due to be administered on American soil should be diverted to anyone outside this country? 
Yes we are frequent cruisers, but cruising is not a necessary industry and the crews are not first responders, health care workers, teachers or part of the elderly population that needs protection first! The fact that Florida is allowing Canadian snow birds to get vaccinated there is part of what is wrong with the control of administering the vaccines in an equitable fashion.

Hal

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Thank you.  I had no idea.

The critical path is vaccinating crew on which ever ships sail first.

In my opinion, these will be sailing from US ports.

That seems reasonable, based on current location of princess

ships -- which is overwhelming near US ports.

You might review this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767404-thread-tracking-princess-ship-movements-and-restarts-winter-2020-onwards/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-60656819

Sorry I was so snarky but ships based in Europe or Asia I think would be able to staff with people receiving those vaccines which would broaden the availability as they're already using AstraZeneca. The EU is approving faster too. China (Sinovac) & Russia (Sputnik V) have ones too.

Plus Japan has started vaccinating workers 1st. 

Edited by Ombud
Added name of Russian vaccine

7 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Those Princess ships are foreign registered and their crews are foreigners. Why would you think that vaccines due to be administered on American soil should be diverted to anyone outside this country? 
Yes we are frequent cruisers, but cruising is not a necessary industry and the crews are not first responders, health care workers, teachers or part of the elderly population that needs protection first! The fact that Florida is allowing Canadian snow birds to get vaccinated there is part of what is wrong with the control of administering the vaccines in an equitable fashion.

Hal

Thank you for a much-needed reality check.

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Sorry I was so snarky but ships based in Europe or Asia I think would be able to staff with people receiving those vaccines which would broaden the availability as they're already using AstraZeneca. The EU is approving faster too. China (Sinovac) & Russia (Sputnik V) have ones too.

Plus Japan has started vaccinating workers 1st. 

You might be right.

But, I think it might be a while before Japan starts allowing cruises, after Ruby...

Realistically, depending on their country, many crew members work with a crew manning agency.

I think it's likely that princess will simply require crew to be vaccinated prior to leaving their home

country -- possibly facilitated by the manning agencies.

If you bring un-vaccinated crew to ships, you have two problems -- do they have to quarantine for

some period in the state/country where they will join; and what to do with them

in the period between first and second dose of the vaccine.

Crew already has to have a medical certification completed prior to joining.   Covid vaccination

is probably just one more check box the cruise lines will require.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, docruth said:

Cheers

Doc Ruth

I might worry more about how NYC is handling the Pandemic~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1