Can crew be vaccinationed by April?

nini

11 hours ago, HS2BS said:

The fact that Florida is allowing Canadian snow birds to get vaccinated there is part of what is wrong with the control of administering the vaccines in an equitable fashion.

Hal

Actually that is good public health policy  making sure that everyone in an area is immunized.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

Actually that is good public health policy  making sure that everyone in an area is immunized.

Miami Herald reports that people are flying to Florida from South American countries just to get the vaccination.

21 hours ago, brisalta said:

15 hours ago, caribill said:

Miami Herald reports that people are flying to Florida from South American countries just to get the vaccination.

Well, yeah other than that.

I read that canada doesn't expect to be vaccinating people until summer.

Which is causing canadians to travel to Florida for the winter and a vaccination...

So, it's sort of a bad public health policy if you squander your vaccine allocation on

people in transit through your state, rather than the residents.

This is probably the guy giving DeSantis advice:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/11/10/meet-the-uber-driving-conspiracy-theorist-blogger-who-desantis-just-hired/

On 1/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, HS2BS said:

Those Princess ships are foreign registered and their crews are foreigners. Why would you think that vaccines due to be administered on American soil should be diverted to anyone outside this country? 
Yes we are frequent cruisers, but cruising is not a necessary industry and the crews are not first responders, health care workers, teachers or part of the elderly population that needs protection first! The fact that Florida is allowing Canadian snow birds to get vaccinated there is part of what is wrong with the control of administering the vaccines in an equitable fashion.

Hal

Where did you hear that snow birds from Canada are getting vaccinated? If they are just down here on vacation there is no way.  If they live here, that's different.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

Where did you hear that snow birds from Canada are getting vaccinated? If they are just down here on vacation there is no way.  If they live here, that's different.

"

Do I have to be a Lee County resident to get vaccinated in the county? 

No. At a press conference Tuesday, Lee County Commissioner Kevin Ruane, chairman of the board, said the county cannot turn away anyone who meets the age requirement because the vaccine comes from the federal government. 

Ruane encouraged out-of-county residents to get the vaccination in their own counties. 

“We are asking them not to come, but, obviously, it’s a federal program, so we can’t turn away anyone ... that’s over 65," Ruane said.  

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/12/28/covid-19-vaccines-questions-answers-florida-where-doses-available-who-can-get-them-lee-collier/4059869001/

"At this time. the state's priorities include protecting the lives of Floridians and making the vaccine accessible to Floridians," Bequer wrote. "As we receive additional allocations and the vaccine becomes more available, the state will work to expand vaccine availability to additional populations in the state."

In a second email, she wrote, “The state is committed to offering vaccines to all Floridians and visitors. Non-Florida residents will be eligible to receive the vaccine in Florida.”

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/12/21/snowbirds-wonder-where-they-fall-in-vaccine-distribution-plan

Officials said there’s no statewide residency requirement but since there’s been some confusion on the matter, News 6 contacted health departments across Central Florida to find out what the residency rules are at vaccination sites.

To sum up their answers, you don’t have to be a Florida resident.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/12/30/some-snowbirds-and-other-florida-visitors-can-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-health-officials-say/

4 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

"

Do I have to be a Lee County resident to get vaccinated in the county? 

No. At a press conference Tuesday, Lee County Commissioner Kevin Ruane, chairman of the board, said the county cannot turn away anyone who meets the age requirement because the vaccine comes from the federal government. 

Ruane encouraged out-of-county residents to get the vaccination in their own counties. 

“We are asking them not to come, but, obviously, it’s a federal program, so we can’t turn away anyone ... that’s over 65," Ruane said.  

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/12/28/covid-19-vaccines-questions-answers-florida-where-doses-available-who-can-get-them-lee-collier/4059869001/

"At this time. the state's priorities include protecting the lives of Floridians and making the vaccine accessible to Floridians," Bequer wrote. "As we receive additional allocations and the vaccine becomes more available, the state will work to expand vaccine availability to additional populations in the state."

In a second email, she wrote, “The state is committed to offering vaccines to all Floridians and visitors. Non-Florida residents will be eligible to receive the vaccine in Florida.”

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/12/21/snowbirds-wonder-where-they-fall-in-vaccine-distribution-plan

Officials said there’s no statewide residency requirement but since there’s been some confusion on the matter, News 6 contacted health departments across Central Florida to find out what the residency rules are at vaccination sites.

To sum up their answers, you don’t have to be a Florida resident.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/12/30/some-snowbirds-and-other-florida-visitors-can-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-health-officials-say/

I think residents and citizens should be first.  

Edited by suzyed

7 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

Incorrect!

Vaccinations started 14 Dec 2020 in Canada.

I left out 'all'!  Thank you for the correction.

"All Canadians who want a shot will be vaccinated by September 2021, public health agency says"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-vaccines-september-2021-1.5844314

See you on I-95 / I-75...

14 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Of course!

My opinion:  doctors, nurses and others who are working in emergency care should be first.

With out them, you will lose many more people; and in the worst case, you will reach a

situation, when the virus can not be controlled.

Elderly in nursing homes -- they are vulnerable as they can not take any action to mitigate their risk,

as members of general population can.

First responders, as they are job-required to engage directly with the public.

• Like 1

It is the same in North Myrtle Beach, SC.  If the vaccine becomes available the State of South Carolina is allowing snowbirds to get a vaccine.  I assume it’s because they don’t want visitors getting COVID19.

My wife and I are down here from New York until April 1st and our oceanfront condo building has only a few cars in the garage.  We heard that only 1/8th of the units have been rented this winter so I am sure the Chamber of Commerce is thrilled the few visitors they have may be a getting a vaccine since it’s good PR for the area.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, Ombud said:

@Roberto256 I absolutely agree! Its just a matter of where they get the vaccine & if it's a 1 (JNJ) or 2 shot (Pfizer/ Moderna) process. Not that familiar with other ones. 

Here’s some things to consider & of course getting the vaccine.  

There is a lot of hurdles that all cruise lines & crew members must go through:

1. Getting the crew back onboard...The crew also have hoops to go through. 

2. Test cruises with crew only
3. Test cruises with some passengers

4. Approval by the CDC

The CDC first has to allow these test cruises. 

I look at 2 different YouTube sites & there is no information about a lot of crew members being brought back. We have a number of Cruise Ships off of California & any cruise staff on board is just what’s necessary to keep the ship operating. 

Tom😀

On 1/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, Roberto256 said:

Well, yeah other than that.

I read that canada doesn't expect to be vaccinating people until summer.

Which is causing canadians to travel to Florida for the winter and a vaccination...

So, it's sort of a bad public health policy if you squander your vaccine allocation on

people in transit through your state, rather than the residents.

This is probably the guy giving DeSantis advice:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/11/10/meet-the-uber-driving-conspiracy-theorist-blogger-who-desantis-just-hired/

Desantis who got rid of  the data analysis for telling the truth then had her arrested because she continued to tell the truth.

1 minute ago, caribill said:

As reliable as the San Francisco Chronicle.

So you are saying it is variable as the San Francisco Chronicle is a shadow of what it used to be decades ago when it actually had foreign correspondents, etc.

Edited by brisalta

16 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Desantis who got rid of  the data analysis for telling the truth then had her arrested because she continued to tell the truth.

Desantis has a new advisor: 

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

Because you can't infected from an asymptomatic snowbird, only from an asymptomatic FL resident?   The virus doesn't discriminate; it ill-behooves public health officials to do so. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Because you can't infected from an asymptomatic snowbird, only from an asymptomatic FL resident?   The virus doesn't discriminate; it ill-behooves public health officials to do so. 

Yeah, but...

Vaccine doses are being allocated to states based on population.

The goal is to vaccine enough of the population to achieve herd immunity.

So, you probably want to spend your does on members of your herd to get to the goal faster.

If you squander some of your does on people who show up simply to get a shot, and then

leave your herd ... it will take longer to vaccinate enough of your herd.

You are also incurring additional risk, as some of the guest herd will be already infected,

giving them the opportunity to infect the locals, and consume medical resources.

The national zoo posted some covid guidelines for their guests

1) Stay with your herd.

2) Stay at least a zebra length away from other herds.

Good advice.

It seems to me what is needed for this is vaccinate the entire population as quickly as possible.

Currently, even the vaccine that is available isn't being fully used.

Time to get every doctor/nurse/etc. from the military and national guard on the job.

Deploy the guard where needed.

And setup a tent on the perimiter of some military bases.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

FDLE seized her computer to keep her from posting.

I found that comically in-effective.

17 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

My opinion:  doctors, nurses and others who are working in emergency care should be first.

With out them, you will lose many more people; and in the worst case, you will reach a

situation, when the virus can not be controlled.

I should have added:

If you can't keep the emergency care facilities staffed, you also have the risk to people

with 'ordinary' medical emergencies.

Heart attacks, automobile accidents, turkey deep-fryers...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I should have added:

If you can't keep the emergency care facilities staffed, you also have the risk to people

with 'ordinary' medical emergencies.

Heart attacks, automobile accidents, turkey deep-fryers...

What is it with Turkey deep fryers...liquid oxygen is much more effective!!!  ; )