Alaska Excursion Question

buckeyedonna

We are booked for Alaska in August. We were planning to do the White Pass rail excursion. But then we saw one that combines the rail trip with a crossover into BC for a hike and suspension bridge. I like the sound of the combo tour, but I want to make sure we get a good, scenic ride on the railway. Any advice from those who have done one or the other, or both? 

8 minutes ago, buckeyedonna said:

We are booked for Alaska in August. We were planning to do the White Pass rail excursion. But then we saw one that combines the rail trip with a crossover into BC for a hike and suspension bridge. I like the sound of the combo tour, but I want to make sure we get a good, scenic ride on the railway. Any advice from those who have done one or the other, or both? 

I'm not aware of this particular excursion, but I can tell you that it goes into the Yukon, not BC.

We choose to rent a car and drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake.  The ships excursion on the WhitePass seemed to end just at the point we were getting to the good stuff.   There may be excursion that go farther but to us, when we passed them and kept going it just got better.  Great scenery and we met some interesting locals along the way.  I will say we encountered some pretty dense fog ( white knuckle)  on our return to Skagway.  

29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We choose to rent a car and drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake.  The ships excursion on the WhitePass seemed to end just at the point we were getting to the good stuff.   There may be excursion that go farther but to us, when we passed them and kept going it just got better.  Great scenery and we met some interesting locals along the way.  I will say we encountered some pretty dense fog ( white knuckle)  on our return to Skagway.  

Absolutely.  Renting a car from Sourdough Rentals.  Do it way ahead of time.  It the best.  You can visit Dyes, pioneer graveyard, White Pass, lunch in Carcross - everything for a few dollars.  The road is excellent.  Have done the drive into the Yukon maybe a dozen times.  Rainy twice the rest sunny.  Absolutely the best way to see it all and still have time to visit town.

Be absolutely sure that everyone has their passports as you cross into Canada and back to the US.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

On our first cruise to Skagway, we took the White Pass Rail and enjoyed it.  The next time we took a van (I think) that traveled on the highway across the valley from the RR and we actually got to get out at the turnaround point and "touch" that part of Canada (B.C.) <g>.  Plus, we also got a view of the train!

On 1/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, Fouremco said:

I'm not aware of this particular excursion, but I can tell you that it goes into the Yukon, not BC.

The train stops and disembarks people in Fraser, BC, but most of the tours go into the Yukon from there.  

I much prefer to do Bennett Lake.  Your stop at the lake includes about 45 minutes to wander around and you can access the Chilkoot Trail from there.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Absolutely.  Renting a car from Sourdough Rentals.  Do it way ahead of time.  It the best.  You can visit Dyes, pioneer graveyard, White Pass, lunch in Carcross - everything for a few dollars.  The road is excellent.  Have done the drive into the Yukon maybe a dozen times.  Rainy twice the rest sunny.  Absolutely the best way to see it all and still have time to visit town.

Be absolutely sure that everyone has their passports as you cross into Canada and back to the US.

I would stay away from Sourdough Rentals. The cars they rent are old and filthy. We stopped at the same sites as someone who had rented with them. I think they felt safe they kept seeing us so that we could drive them back to Skagway if the car broke down.

8 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

The train stops and disembarks people in Fraser, BC, but most of the tours go into the Yukon from there.  

I much prefer to do Bennett Lake.  Your stop at the lake includes about 45 minutes to wander around and you can access the Chilkoot Trail from there.

You're right, I had forgotten about stops in BC. :classic_blush:

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Agree with this advice.  We've done the train several times, but the excursion that included Bennett Lake that we did in 2019 was the best! We were blessed with really nice weather that day, too. 

If you plan to rent a car in Skagway order Murrays Guide to the South Klondike Highway.   You can download the latest issue.  It is a mile by mile guide of the highway written by a local. We saw a black bear eating dandelions at the exact spot along the road that Murray said to watch for bears.  You can google his website or *****

Edited by oaktreerb

37 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

Arizona Wildcat: (And anyone else who rented a car & drove in Skagway) - did you see Moose/bears anywhere along this drive ? Do you have to know where you're going (directions), or just hit the highway & make stops along the way? Thanks!

See my previous comment.  The author is Murray Lundberg.  

Really the ride on the highway is much the same scenery as the train, just the opposite side of the valley.  I would suggest taking a bus or van tour that goes into BC, as previously mentioned destinations/stops are wonderful.  Comes to mind many years a local was selling moose burgers on pemmican, so delicious stuffed a second one. If you decide to drive just remember to pack your passport and warm clothing as we hit a snow storm near Bennet. Been unlucky with wildlife on this route every time, just 1 coyote.

Just a quick note about the train.  I belive it is a real hit with train enthusiasts, being not only somewhat historic but a special narrow gage, cant remember.  If that is your thing then you may want to book early as it can fill up on busy ship days in Skagway.

3 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Really the ride on the highway is much the same scenery as the train, just the opposite side of the valley.  I would suggest taking a bus or van tour that goes into BC, as previously mentioned destinations/stops are wonderful.  Comes to mind many years a local was selling moose burgers on pemmican, so delicious stuffed a second one. If you decide to drive just remember to pack your passport and warm clothing as we hit a snow storm near Bennet. Been unlucky with wildlife on this route every time, just 1 coyote.

Just a quick note about the train.  I belive it is a real hit with train enthusiasts, being not only somewhat historic but a special narrow gage, cant remember.  If that is your thing then you may want to book early as it can fill up on busy ship days in Skagway.

One additional comment on the train.  They do a limited number of trips behind a steam locomotive.  I have been there 3 times and have not been able to book a steam trip.  It would have been fun to do so.  Also, you do not have to book through the cruise line if a DIY train trip gives you more flexibility.

DON

6 hours ago, lobsternight said:

I have done the train several times, have rented a car several times and also done a bus tour. I find the scenery different from the train vs bus/car. There are places it is the same but many places where it is different. I recommend train one way and then van the other way.

I have seen bears several times. Randomly.