Shore Excursions from St. Petersburg, Russia

Munga 6

I noticed that the cruise ship spends two days in St. Petersburg, so is it possible to visit more than one site per day? I would like to do Catherine's  Palace, Hermitage and Gold Room, Faberge Museum, Double Decker ride and Spilled Blood, but am unsure if they depart around the same time or do they have both morning and afternoon tours so one can see several sites. Would even consider more tours if time would allow. thanks.

We booked a two day excursion with a Russian Tour Company - TJ Tours. They did an excellent job, eliminating the need for visas and covered multiple sites each day. We saw all the highlights with no delays getting in. Highly recommended. 

Allan

If your cruise is this year, I would be very leary about booking non cruise ship tours due to CDC bubble reqirements.   Currently ships sailing now are not letting passengers back aboard who do not use ship tours.

If the restrictions mentioned by GICNJC are not in force, several large tour companies (such as SPB) give excellent multi-day comprehensive tours of St. Petersburg with well-qualified, English-speaking guides, hitting all the high points with a minimum of waiting in line, etc. They generally use small, comfortable coaches so you may have to do without the double-decker bus. Several of them also service other Baltic ports and give discounts for "bundled" itineraries.

If you go that route make sure you get a company that handles visa requirements and be sure to wear sunglasses to avoid being blinded by all the gold leaf.

• Like 1

Munga 6, I second the recommendation of TJ Tours in St. Petersburg (assuming non-ship tours are allowed).  We had two days in St. Petersburg.  My husband and I hired a guide and driver who took us to all of the places you mentioned, and a lot more.  We told them where we wanted to go in advance and worked out an itinerary.  They also provided the visas.  It was a wonderful two days, with a wonderful guide.  I highly recommend arranging a private tour so you can go where you want at YOUR pace.  Who wants to wait 20-30 minutes while everyone on the bus lines up to use the restroom?  Multiply that by 3 times a day, or more, and that is a lot of wasted time.  Not to mention those people who never seem to get back to the bus on time!  This is a once in a lifetime experience, so it is well worth the extra cost for a private tour. 

Your ability to do more than 1 tour in a day (other than the 2 day excursions mentioned which visit multiple sites) depends a lot on how far away the attractions are and how long the tour takes. For example the Faberge Museum tour (which we loved) could easily be paired with another tour that wasn’t going a long way away or taking a long time to see everything at a site. It is normally risky leaving very little time between tours because there is often a queue to leave the port because of the Russian officials taking time to check passports.

This “recovering” attorney points out that cruise ship passengers do not need a visa for a visit to Russia for up to 72 hours under a specific Russian federal law visa exemption for those who book tours with Russian federally-licensed tour companies. The tour company will supply you with the tour confirmation/booking ticket you need to show the Russian

officials at the port. We enjoyed a lovely jam-packed two days with SPB Tours in 2011 from Marina shared with just one other couple.  At least back then, several of the more crowded sights (like Catherine’s Palace) permitted groups of eight or less to skip many lines for entrance, a terrific bonus.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having spent ten days in St. Petersburg (and still have much to see) I totally understand wanting to pack everything possible into your brief visit.

If you check out the Ports of Call boards for tour operator recommendations. TJ's and SPB are two of the top operators. If you google some of the tour operators you see here on Cruise Critic you will find itineraries that meet your criteria. 

You do want a small group tour. You will find skip the line options and even some offering pre-opening tours at sites like The Hermitage and Catherine's Palace. Just as a FYI, all of the sites you mentioned are relatively close with Catherine's Palace being the most distant.

Forget the double decker tour and focus on your most important choices. You could literally spend days at The Hermitage but most tours lead you through the best known collections in one of many buildings. 

Someone noted that the major operators have tours in other Baltic ports and even offer discounts for multiple tours. This is a great option and you can check out their tours in other ports on the Ports of Call forums.

No matter when you go, and if cruising it will be summertime, you will be in crowds and that is another reason to use a small group tour.

I don't know when you will be traveling but hopefully you will be enriched by your travels in safety.

If possible, I agree using a local tour company is best. I typically avoid O ship tours like the plague when possible.

Now, if your question was in reference to Oceania tours, historically they have not allowed the booking of back to back shore tours. If possible, one must find a 5-8 hour tour they are happy with and do it.

I have been on cruises where the only port tours offered by O were 3-4 hour tours. I have asked and they wouldn’t allow one to prebook a morning tour then one for the afternoon. If one actually returns to the ship, after the morning tour, and then tries to book the second tour, if space A, that might work, but is highly risky.

Not sure if that was your question, but a bit more information for you.

The ship's excursions get a lot of criticism here so I'd like to say something in support of them.  I've been to St. Petersburg twice and went on a couple of them. They're not as awful as some think. None of them have ever been on a double decker bus as some here have mentioned.

The Hermitage is going to be crowded whether you go on a ship's excursions or private. There is no way to avoid it except if you're there on a Monday when I believe it's closed to the public and only open for private tours.  My group was there when they opened in the morning and we waited in line for no more than 10 minutes.  At the Faberge Museum we waited in line less than 5 minutes. It was easy. My group at the Faberge was less than 20 people.  All of the guides were excellent.  

Every person has their preferred way of doing tours and this is just my personal experience. One more thing worth noting is passport control.  In 2019 they changed the process. Ship's excursions are allowed through first and private tours are allowed through after that. So if you're on a private tour, there is no need to rush to disembark. 

We also booked SPB Tours and the owner herself showed up to welcome us.  They were timely, knowledgeable and professional.  TJ lined us right next to us.  Positive feedback about them as well back on the ship.  This was 2017.

Who knows whether you will be able to tour  without  a ship's tour  or if the ship will even sail  this year

Most  ship's tour  you do see  a lot  in the full day tour 

We did  a full day  (not with Oceania)  & a half day one

we were exhausted 

so try not to try to pack too much into one day tour

No matter what type of tour you do  you usually have to stay with the guide/group 

If  you can do private guided tour that is the best option but if not  the ship's tours are fine

The day we were there Catherine's palace was closed to the public  we were the only tour in there so they did not rush us through 

Some advantages to ship's tours 😉

In 2019 we did a Baltic cruise on the Marina with 3 days in St Petersburg.  We used Alta for the 3 day package and were in a group of 10.  The smaller private tours may not be an option under the covid protocol, but when it is available again, I highly recommend it.  Alta was great, but the other tour companies such as SPB and TJs have great reviews as well.  Also, the itinerary with 3 days in SPB would be my choice again.

IN theory (but at this point, we aren't that hopeful) we will be on Marina in early June this year in St. Petersburg.  Not wanting to worry about the possible covid-ship's-bubble issue, we booked O tours.  We had no trouble booking two tours for the first day.... Fabrege Museum in the am, Catherine's Palace in the PM.

If we end up being cancelled and re-book for Sept 2022, then we will book private tours.

18 hours ago, Munga 6 said:

I noticed that the cruise ship spends two days in St. Petersburg, so is it possible to visit more than one site per day? I would like to do Catherine's  Palace, Hermitage and Gold Room, Faberge Museum, Double Decker ride and Spilled Blood, but am unsure if they depart around the same time or do they have both morning and afternoon tours so one can see several sites. Would even consider more tours if time would allow. thanks.

We used Alla Tours both times that we were in SPB and they were wonderful. Once with 4 people and the other with 6.  Out all day and they even took us to the opera at night.  All custom tours.  Could not have been better.  Everything we wanted to see and more.  

3 hours ago, shank63 said:

In 2019 we did a Baltic cruise on the Marina with 3 days in St Petersburg.  We used Alta for the 3 day package and were in a group of 10. 

Never heard of Alta?

maybe it was  Alla  who you used

We booked 2 days with Red October in St P.

They were wonderful at tailoring their standard 2 day itinerary to our interests. One person in our group of 4 had recently recovered from pneumonia and the driver was fantastic at helping her in and out of the van, chatting with her when she decided to skip a palace.

The guide was amazing, interesting, personable.

When we were on a Baltic Cruise on Marina about six years ago, we used Alla Tours.  We were in a mini-bus with eight others and a very good English speaking guide for two days.  The tour was very inclusive with all the highlights taken in, almost no waiting - never exceeded 10 minutes.  I highly recommend Alla Tours.

Donna

Thought the OP might be interested in a sample St. Petersburg itinerary so went back and looked up the 3-day tour we took in 2018 from ALLA. Each van was limited to 16 people which was pretty manageable but I'm sure you could go for a smaller or larger group if you prefer. Cost was US$370pp. Optional evening programs (ballet, traditional dinner, etc.) were extra.

Day 1
09:30   
Meet at the ship
09:30 - 10:30 
City orientation drive tour with the panoramic views on the bridges, squares, palaces, and the Neva river embankments
10:30 - 11:30 
Guided tour of Church on the Spilled Blood
11:30 - 12:30 
Guided tour of Peter and Paul Fortress and Cathedral
12:30 - 13:30 
Lunch at a local restaurant incl. Stolle Pies
13:30 - 14:30 
Guided tour of St. Isaac's Cathedral
15:00 - 16:30 
Guided tour of Yusupov Palace incl. Gregory Rasputin exposition
17:00   
Onboard and/or Optional Evening Program
Day 2
08:00   
Meet at the ship
08:30 - 09:00 
Subway ride and tour of the most beautiful Metro stations
09:00 - 10:00 
Drive to Peterhof Summer Residence
10:00 - 11:00 
Guided tour of Peterhof Grand Palace
11:00 - 12:30 
Guided tour of the Peterhof Fountain Park and Gardens
Traditional Russian lunch at a local restaurant
Drive to Tsars Village (Pushkin)
14:30 - 16:00 
Guided tour of Catherine's Palace incl. Amber Room and a walk through the park
16:00 - 17:00 
Drive back to St. Petersburg
Onboard and/or Optional Evening Program
Day 3
08:00   
Meet at the ship
08:30 - 09:30 
Boat ride: scenic tour along rivers and canals
10:00 - 12:30 
Guided tour of the Hermitage Museum (early entry)
Traditional Russian lunch at a local restaurant
Inside visit to the General Staff Building to admire the Impressionist Art Collection
14:30 - 15:30 
Guided tour of the Faberge Museum
15:30 - 16:30 
City sightseeing tour through the historical downtown and Nevsky Prospect with short walks and photo stops. Time for gift shopping.
Onboard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, Kate-AHF said:

IN theory (but at this point, we aren't that hopeful) we will be on Marina in early June this year in St. Petersburg.  Not wanting to worry about the possible covid-ship's-bubble issue, we booked O tours.  We had no trouble booking two tours for the first day.... Fabrege Museum in the am, Catherine's Palace in the PM.

If we end up being cancelled and re-book for Sept 2022, then we will book private tours.

One disadvantage of ship's tours is they tend to be half day and you waste time going back to ship for lunch and then back to town again.

If the ship is at the new terminal, that's a lot of wasted time.

Private tours tend to be all day with local lunch.

PS If your ship happens to be in town on a Monday, schedule Hermitage for Monday when the museum is closed to the public but open to private tours. We had many of the rooms entirely empty for our group of 6.

We did Alla once and SPB twice - both excellent and equally good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I noticed a few mentioned opera and ballet. Both, if available, and if you have the strength, are generally add ons and are easily arranged. 

Two days is a challenge but on your tour I'd imagine you will also do drive bys and at least see the Peter and Paul Fortress and the bridges and canals of the inner city.

If you can get away to Peterhoff spend your time in the gardens. The palace is just another palace and not as beautiful as Catherine's Palace. The fountains are quite elaborate and fanciful.

I hope you can cruise and enjoy every minute.

• Thanks 1

We booked a private company tour as well, and I have to agree that it is the way to go.  You will cover much more ground and get much more done in a day.  We had three days, so we did take the trip to Catherine's Palace, etc., but there is much to see in St. Petersburg if you cannot.  If you can, I would ask them to add a quick visit to a subway station.  Our guide took us from one station to another and back, and they are incredible.  No photography allowed, but they are indeed beautiful.  Just watch for pickpockets in the subway system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1