the Daily for Saturday Jan 9, 2021

richwmn

today is Aviation in America Day, International Choreographers Day, and National Vision Day

There's a fine line between courage and foolishness.  Too bad it's not a fence.

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic & Herb Turkey Roulade

Drink of the Day - Tanqueray Almond

Wine of the day - Leonetti Cellar Reserve - Washington - Red

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0109Torquay.png

0109USA.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the last daily of the first full week of 2012, Rich.  A tough time for aviators and choreographers.  I'm overdue for a vision check but will get it within the next 2 weeks.  So true on the quote.  I like the meal while my alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Strawberry Sundae, as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes09.jpg

My suggested snack of the day is Panama rolls, also as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2019. 

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/panama.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

Himself exposed to Covid

RIP Tommy Lasordta

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Chinook Wind

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

A new cruise for USN59-79

Billionth view of Johns Hopkins Covid tracker

First jab for Sea Viewer

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting maps.

I was lucky to get my eyes checked and new glasses about a month ago, before the latest lockdown here in Ontario.

I agree, it's tough times for aviators and choreographers.  Hope there are better days ahead.

Great quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestions, not sure what we'll have.

I think I would like the Drink of the Day.  I'm looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for everyone.  Cheers to all who have something to celebrate.

Have a great Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 14

Good morning.  I missed being here yesterday morning but there's always a lot to read all day long.  Trying to catch up in the evening takes a while!

Jan. 9 & 10, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

Destination Montevideo, Uruguay

January 9th was our final formal night plus we had a 6:15 pm farewell and Gala night presentation in the Grand Salon (theater).  Everyone attended and the Captain gave a very nice speech.  Then they showed us on a big screen the 30 minute video made by the husband/wife team of photographers to document this journey.  Each cabin received a copy of it in our cabins on a jump drive enclosed in a nice metal case.  It was more about the places and wildlife we saw than about the passengers and that’s the way we wanted it!  It was absolutely gorgeous and we were so thankful to have received it so that we can always look back on this incredible experience. 

Then after the film was shown to the passengers, most of the ship’s officers, Expedition Team, and a majority of the crew members on the ship marched out to the stage area of the Salon so we could see how many people it takes to run this ship.  Those who waited on us hand and foot for nearly 24 days!  I was seated on the right hand side of the stage so not the best place for photos because I got the backs and sides of the crew most of the time. Our cruise director Jan said she was afraid the ship would tilt on its aft end with the passengers and crew all in that one area!  We applauded and gave them a standing ovation before they filed out.  Many of the crew were switching out this week for new crew members.  I’m sure they were excited to see their families again and we wished them a safe journey home.enhance

enhance

When we left the Grand Salon everyone headed to the dining room.  Somehow they managed to accommodate us all and present us with a fabulous dinner.  Since we took only one photo during dinner, it’s obvious that dessert is the most important part of the meal for me.   Why can’t it be first?enhance

January 10, 2017 Arrival day in Montevideo, Uruguay

Our speed since we left the bad weather behind was about 11 knots so it felt like we’d never get there.  Our “Awesome Captain” assured us we would arrive by about 6 pm on the 10th.  We would overnight in port and have most of the day on the 11th in Montevideo. 

The temperatures had risen considerably and it had been in the upper 70’s yesterday – forecasted the same for today.  A lot of people were hanging out by the pool.  After Michelle our stewardess freshened up our room, we headed back to our suite and began the arduous process of packing everything up.  Since we had arrived on the ship we had collected many gifts and were provided with the two parkas, puffy jackets, Seabourn penguin wool caps, backpacks, plus Herald daily programs, 3 baseball caps DH purchased, my penguin pendant, chocolates, several Antarctica books, arm bands, Seabourn cruise card holders, a penguin T-shirt from Gonzalez Videla base at Waterboat Point, the wine bottle stopper given at Christmas, a key ring, even stationery with our names and suite number which they provide for everyone.  Just in case you needed to write a letter to someone while onboard 😉  The list went on and on.  It covered our king size bed!  Thank goodness our boots were rented and not coming home with us.enhance

The penguin woolen caps were my favorite!! enhance

Well somehow we managed to squeeze all of this into our 2 large and 2 medium pieces of luggage.  We used our luggage scale to make sure we spread out the weight.  After that it was time for happy hour!  Uh, I mean knitters and stitchers hour at the bar.  Same thing, right?

While seated in front of the vast expanse of windows in the Observation Bar we began the arrival process into Montevideo.enhance

The welcoming committee.enhance

Ahead we have a day in Montevideo on the 11th, then our departure from the ship in Buenos Aires on the 12th of January. 

My advice to everyone.  Do what I’m doing right now – watching repeats of “Might Cruise Ships” on the Smithsonian Channel.  It’s better than nothing!

• Like 26

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning.  I missed being here yesterday morning but there's always a lot to read all day long.  Trying to catch up in the evening takes a while!

Jan. 9 & 10, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

Destination Montevideo, Uruguay

January 9th was our final formal night plus we had a 6:15 pm farewell and Gala night presentation in the Grand Salon (theater).  Everyone attended and the Captain gave a very nice speech.  Then they showed us on a big screen the 30 minute video made by the husband/wife team of photographers to document this journey.  Each cabin received a copy of it in our cabins on a jump drive enclosed in a nice metal case.  It was more about the places and wildlife we saw than about the passengers and that’s the way we wanted it!  It was absolutely gorgeous and we were so thankful to have received it so that we can always look back on this incredible experience. 

Then after the film was shown to the passengers, most of the ship’s officers, Expedition Team, and a majority of the crew members on the ship marched out to the stage area of the Salon so we could see how many people it takes to run this ship.  Those who waited on us hand and foot for nearly 24 days!  I was seated on the right hand side of the stage so not the best place for photos because I got the backs and sides of the crew most of the time. Our cruise director Jan said she was afraid the ship would tilt on its aft end with the passengers and crew all in that one area!  We applauded and gave them a standing ovation before they filed out.  Many of the crew were switching out this week for new crew members.  I’m sure they were excited to see their families again and we wished them a safe journey home.enhance

enhance

When we left the Grand Salon everyone headed to the dining room.  Somehow they managed to accommodate us all and present us with a fabulous dinner.  Since we took only one photo during dinner, it’s obvious that dessert is the most important part of the meal for me.   Why can’t it be first?enhance

January 10, 2017 Arrival day in Montevideo, Uruguay

Our speed since we left the bad weather behind was about 11 knots so it felt like we’d never get there.  Our “Awesome Captain” assured us we would arrive by about 6 pm on the 10th.  We would overnight in port and have most of the day on the 11th in Montevideo. 

The temperatures had risen considerably and it had been in the upper 70’s yesterday – forecasted the same for today.  A lot of people were hanging out by the pool.  After Michelle our stewardess freshened up our room, we headed back to our suite and began the arduous process of packing everything up.  Since we had arrived on the ship we had collected many gifts and were provided with the two parkas, puffy jackets, Seabourn penguin wool caps, backpacks, plus Herald daily programs, 3 baseball caps DH purchased, my penguin pendant, chocolates, several Antarctica books, arm bands, Seabourn cruise card holders, a penguin T-shirt from Gonzalez Videla base at Waterboat Point, the wine bottle stopper given at Christmas, a key ring, even stationery with our names and suite number which they provide for everyone.  Just in case you needed to write a letter to someone while onboard 😉  The list went on and on.  It covered our king size bed!  Thank goodness our boots were rented and not coming home with us.enhance

The penguin woolen caps were my favorite!! enhance

Well somehow we managed to squeeze all of this into our 2 large and 2 medium pieces of luggage.  We used our luggage scale to make sure we spread out the weight.  After that it was time for happy hour!  Uh, I mean knitters and stitchers hour at the bar.  Same thing, right?

While seated in front of the vast expanse of windows in the Observation Bar we began the arrival process into Montevideo.enhance

The welcoming committee.enhance

Ahead we have a day in Montevideo on the 11th, then our departure from the ship in Buenos Aires on the 12th of January. 

My advice to everyone.  Do what I’m doing right now – watching repeats of “Might Cruise Ships” on the Smithsonian Channel.  It’s better than nothing!

Love those hats 🙂

• Like 6

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Interesting group of days.  The meal sounds good, although I need to google Roulade.

@StLouisCruiserswow what a haul!  I love your pictures and reading of your travels.

Prayers and shout outs to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tanqueray Almond:

Ingredients
1 ounce gin (Tanqueray London Dry Gin)
1/2 ounce amaretto
Dash bitters
Splash sour mix
Garnish: maraschino cherries

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a snifter with ice, pour the gin, amaretto, and bitters.
Top with a splash of sour mix.
Garnish with maraschino cherries.
Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 7.30.59 AM.png

• Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and for our morning smile 🙂

That’s an interesting combination of days.  Vision is precious & worthy of celebration.  Aviation is missed by many these days.

Love that quote.  It really is true.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion - we didn’t have our chicken last night as DH craved something else which was quick & easy so I humoured him.  Thus, it will be our rotisserie chicken tonight.

@summer slopelove the sounds and looks of that drink - thanks 🙂   The wine sounds like a red 😢 but I still love the descriptions.

@StLouisCruisersyou really cleaned up with ‘gifts’ on that cruise.  Wow!

Looks like I was not the only one that was upset with watching too much news:

7BD32986-8F5A-4109-A8F2-828CD711F438.jpeg.d23247be0aac0bf514ba28b950d0bca3.jpeg

Sadly we have another 18 cases in our province.  More clamp downs including any non essential travel anywhere here at all.  So a lot of people are getting new means of entertainment 😉 

1F103FAA-B232-4FE2-879F-C59A9E1AF363.jpeg.416c9cd479443ee2a2f6c18fb375e655.jpeg

But whatever we do, we can’t let this thing beat us or depress us.  We are all in this together!

67B58C7D-E04C-4AD6-B449-AB33E98CC3C0.thumb.jpeg.ec639125884cd0ce430086a24ff59a2f.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay safe and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and for our morning smile 🙂

That’s an interesting combination of days.  Vision is precious & worthy of celebration.  Aviation is missed by many these days.

Love that quote.  It really is true.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion - we didn’t have our chicken last night as DH craved something else which was quick & easy so I humoured him.  Thus, it will be our rotisserie chicken tonight.

@summer slopelove the sounds and looks of that drink - thanks 🙂   The wine sounds like a red 😢 but I still love the descriptions.

@StLouisCruisersyou really cleaned up with ‘gifts’ on that cruise.  Wow!

Looks like I was not the only one that was upset with watching too much news:

7BD32986-8F5A-4109-A8F2-828CD711F438.jpeg.d23247be0aac0bf514ba28b950d0bca3.jpeg

Sadly we have another 18 cases in our province.  More clamp downs including any non essential travel anywhere here at all.  So a lot of people are getting new means of entertainment 😉 

1F103FAA-B232-4FE2-879F-C59A9E1AF363.jpeg.416c9cd479443ee2a2f6c18fb375e655.jpeg

But whatever we do, we can’t let this thing beat us or depress us.  We are all in this together!

67B58C7D-E04C-4AD6-B449-AB33E98CC3C0.thumb.jpeg.ec639125884cd0ce430086a24ff59a2f.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay safe and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 

Sorry but 18 sounds pretty good.  We are hitting over 10,00 a day in NC.  Over the summer that number was 500 or so.  We are paying the price for all those who selfishly choose to ignore the warning and traveled over the holidays.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Sorry but 18 sounds pretty good.  We are hitting over 10,00 a day in NC.  Over the summer that number was 500 or so.  We are paying the price for all those who selfishly choose to ignore the warning and traveled over the holidays.

I know which is why I hesitated to post the number yesterday.

It’s serious business in New Brunswick.  They don’t fool around when we have cases.  Like you, we are paying the price for those that didn’t listen over the holidays.  Most did listen.  At least everyone in my bubble did.

We all agreed no get togethers inside over the holidays.  We felt it was too risky.

• Like 13

Morning All,

Gin and Amaretto, now who would have thought!

We have just had the coldest couple of days this year. After barely reaching above freezing yesterday we went down as low as -4°C last night 🥶 Just not used to it!

Here are a couple of visitors to our garden this morning.  The fox is enjoying the warmth of the sun on her back and the Robin is just fattening up! 

Stay warm every one.  and wear your mask!

DSC02460a.jpg

• Like 26

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the last daily of the first full week of 2012, Rich.  A tough time for aviators and choreographers.  I'm overdue for a vision check but will get it within the next 2 weeks.  So true on the quote.  I like the meal while my alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Strawberry Sundae, as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2019.

My suggested snack of the day is Panama rolls, also as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2019. 

Today's care list:

Our Nation

Himself exposed to Covid

RIP Tommy Lasordta

HAL (and other crews)

First jab for Sea Viewer

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Ah Roy, I know the 2012 is a typo but just imagine where any of us would be if it was 2012. Dh and I would be in Clearwater Florida for the winter!

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Morning All,

Gin and Amaretto, now who would have thought!

We have just had the coldest couple of days this year. After barely reaching above freezing yesterday we went down as low as -4°C last night 🥶 Just not used to it!

Here are a couple of visitors to our garden this morning.  The fox is enjoying the warmth of the sun on her back and the Robin is just fattening up! 

Stay warm every one.  and wear your mask!

DSC02460a.jpg

Looking at some recent photos around Ireland and I see it is snowing, or has been, resulting in many really stunning snow views of places bringing back fine memories. Any snow in Cork?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Looking at some recent photos around Ireland and I see it is snowing, or has been, resulting in many really stunning snow views of places bringing back fine memories. Any snow in Cork?

We had a little snow on Wednesday night, not enough to be measured in inches, more like centimetres!

I posted a pic on the Thursday Daily, but to h*ll with the expense, here is another posting!

Half our garden is still under snow, as is our driveway as they are sheltered from the low sun by trees.

20210107_092339.jpg

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We had a little snow on Wednesday night, not enough to be measured in inches, more like centimetres!

I posted a pic on the Thursday Daily, but to h*ll with the expense, here is another posting!

Half our garden is still under snow, as is our driveway as they are sheltered from the low sun by trees.

20210107_092339.jpg

Have to tease and say that here we would call that a dusting 😉. We wouldn’t even try to measure it. 

I can send you more snow if you want it 😉 

Seriously, sorry for what is cold weather & snow for you 😢 

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  To celebrate today's special days, I'd put on my glasses and dance all the way down the aisle of an airplane if we could fly to a port and board another Dam ship!

It was interesting reading the various stories yesterday of people's appliances.  Without jinxing myself, I'm happy with my 15 year old white stove, even if the electronic clock doesn't work and there's a paint chip beside the big burner from having dropped a spice jar on it.  Today's appliances are made to be obsolete in 4 or 5 years at best, which is such a waste.  I still use Easy-Off spray on oven cleaner once in a while to get it looking shiny inside again.

@TiogaCruiserthank you for letting me know about the soaker tub; we used them frequently when we visited Japan, but didn't know they had a name.  Our son's Japanese in-laws just referred to them as the tub.  LOL  It's like going to a Japanese onsen (hot springs) where you clean yourself off in the bathing area or shower, then relax enveloped in the warmth of the soaker tub.

I'd love to have a turkey roulade like today's menu suggestion, but it's tough getting such a big turkey breast to make one.  I did make yesterday's chicken fricassee, and it was delicious, but was way too much for the 2 of us, so there are leftovers available to reheat for tonight's dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses with a *clink* to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's care list:

Our Nation

Himself exposed to Covid

RIP Tommy Lasordta

HAL (and other crews)

First jab for Sea Viewer

Roy

Thanks for the prayers I get tested in an hour.  Should hacw the results next week Monday,  I feel great.  No symptoms yet, thank God,

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love today’s combo of days! I will toast the Wright Brothers tonight. 

Roy, thank you again for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! @DeeniEncinitas, I saw you peeking at the post wishing Father well! Great to see you!  It is another red wine, but it sounds amazing, just a bit too pricey for me!

Love the quote. The meal sounds interesting. I do not like gin. But gin & amaretto sounds interesting Summer! Having supper with a friend tonight. Building a cat tower for Finn her new feline family member. And sipping wine, of course. 

To anyone contemplating traveling to Florida - we have more COVID cases, and more COVID deaths than the entire country of Canada. And the number of deaths does not include those who have died, who had any chronic serious problem. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This red blend from Washington has amazing ratings and a price to match. The most recently released vintage, 2017 - has an online price starting at 

$159.97.  The reviewer I picked to share is James Suckling - this might be as close to a HAL ship that we can get for awhile longer.
The 2017 Leonetti Reserve is a richly colored ruby to the rim. Bolder than the Cabernet bottling, this flagship wine boasts a brilliant bouquet of baking spices, rising dough, and brambleberry pie. Cabernet Sauvignon forms the wonderful foundation and aromatics of this wine. Petit Verdot makes up almost a third of this blend and contributes a phenomenal duet of power and elegance. I often describe Petit Verdot as “the rails” upon which the other varietals rest because of the linear way it strikes the palate. Malbec brings laser-like focus and breadth to the overall fruit profile. Blend: 58% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Petit Verdot, 10% Malbec

JS97 James Suckling: A beautiful, very tight red with currants, dark chocolate, black tea and roasted sea weed. Full body and tight, muscular tannins. It is really tightly wound. A beautiful follow up to the 2016. A blend of 58% cabernet sauvignon, 32% petit verdot and 10% malbec. Give it two to three years to open up. Drink or hold.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

Rich:  Thanks for the fleet report, the humor and the meal suggestion. I am not a wine expert thogh I do like Merlow and and a few orger red dry wines once in a blue moon.   Thanks to all who have contributed to this great thread.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Have to tease and say that here we would call that a dusting 😉. We wouldn’t even try to measure it

We rarely get snow, though a couple of years ago the country was badly hit.  Luckily we were in the Caribbean on a Dam ship, so had great fun sending beach photos to family and friends in Ireland as the shoveled snow 😁  I learnt the meaning of 'snow bird' .

• Like 11
  • Haha 1