Escape took a scratch in Rome

FreestyleNovice

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And how did your employer act on your incident?  Did they simply fire you and carry on?

Fired and carry one. In UK you don't have rights against unfair dismissal unless you had been at the company for 2 years then they have show cause. I had not been there 2 years. Lets just leave it at that on public forum.

Edited by ace2542

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

International Safety Management Code, in this instance.

One more question to consider. For any cruises DEPARTING from Rome in the future won't NCL have to take on stock at the next port? Because I don't see they can stock a ship up in the water. So logistically could be a problem depending upon the itinerary.

48 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

One more question to consider. For any cruises DEPARTING from Rome in the future won't NCL have to take on stock at the next port? Because I don't see they can stock a ship up in the water. So logistically could be a problem depending upon the itinerary.

Again, I ask you to point out where I can read that the "rules" in Civitavecchia have changed and require tendering, and how the damage done at the point on the jetty where it happened would affect cruise ship dockings.  Also, how many cruises are going to depart from Rome before the repairs are completed?

As for taking stores in the next port, many ships do this, if the home port does not have a supplier who will give a good contract price, or where the line feels they can control quality better at a different port.  In fact, if I remember correctly, the NCL ships out of NYC were storing in Florida because of the cost of doing business in NYC. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Fired and carry one. In UK you don't have rights against unfair dismissal unless you had been at the company for 2 years then they have show cause. I had not been there 2 years. Lets just leave it at that on public forum.

Not really talking about the employee's rights, but the maturity of the industry to get away from having to blame someone, and yet not fixing the problem.  Many industries have not yet adopted the ISO 9001 type of "quality management systems" that go beyond blaming an individual, but look to improve quality by seeking the root cause and improving the company's policies to prevent them again.  Quality management systems have been around since the 1980's, so this is not a new concept.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

She's undergoing repairs at San Giorgio del Porto in Genoa, if my Italian Google translation is correct.. the port was quite happy to welcome Escape and would love to see NCL on a weekly basis in the future. :classic_smile:

https://www.themeditelegraph.com/en/2021/01/10/news/norwegian-escape-in-bacino-a-genova-dopo-l-incidente-a-l-incidente-a-civitavecchia-1.39756444 (can't find the English article, if there's even one..)

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

So, since the gash seems to be part of the hull art and impacts it visually, I'm wondering if they'll need the artist to fix the artwork or will they be able to complete the damaged area themselves. Any idea Freestyle?

They have a template that they project on the ship, and they will likely fly in a "tiger team" from Indonesia (in this case just one or two) to paint the design.

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Quite the gash. Might take a bit more than buffing to get it out, I'm thinkin'.

It's not really a gash, just a severe inset of the hull plating.  The "strange" grid pattern that the original article mentions is the framing behind the hull plating.  Because the first two (from forward) frames are inset quite a bit, those will need to be cut out and inserted, and the sharpness of the crease is what requires the plating to be renewed.  Many times, a moderate or "gentle" dent that does not have a severe crease in it, they will leave the plating until the next scheduled drydock, and only replace any severely deformed frames, cutting the frame inserts to match the "new" curve of the hull plating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They have a template that they project on the ship, and they will likely fly in a "tiger team" from Indonesia (in this case just one or two) to paint the design.

It's not really a gash, just a severe inset of the hull plating.  The "strange" grid pattern that the original article mentions is the framing behind the hull plating.  Because the first two (from forward) frames are inset quite a bit, those will need to be cut out and inserted, and the sharpness of the crease is what requires the plating to be renewed.  Many times, a moderate or "gentle" dent that does not have a severe crease in it, they will leave the plating until the next scheduled drydock, and only replace any severely deformed frames, cutting the frame inserts to match the "new" curve of the hull plating.

Thank you so much @chengkp75 for your great explanation. Always interesting to learn details of how things are done and get the accurate terminology.  

Thanks again. 😉 

On 1/12/2021 at 7:40 AM, ace2542 said:

This is video from people onboard breakaway. I can't seem to find of when cruises go wrong UK channel 4. But recorded video onboard below. Ship took damage. Water damage internally? So damage to electrics goes without saying.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, ace2542 said:

The line has no luck. What happened to the Captain of the breakaway who sailed through the very edge of that storm on Christmas 2017. There was damage to the ship including flooding when it got back to new york. Was he sacked, jailed, keelhauled? What?

what happened to the Epic that hit and SANK a docking platform in Puerto Rico pier?
Also, how much did NCL have to pay for the platform?

On 1/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I have read where a cruise ship could handle close to 40 degrees roll...wow? I admit, that would scare me...and things would be tumbling..

i... would pay extra for that feature :p

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

what happened to the Epic that hit and SANK a docking platform in Puerto Rico pier?
Also, how much did NCL have to pay for the platform?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I have never heard of that incident.

I believe that what happened was that the ship hit a dolphin (stand alone docking station) that collapsed. Again, NCL paid for the damages, but no consequences for the Captain.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe that what happened was that the ship hit a dolphin (stand alone docking station) that collapsed. Again, NCL paid for the damages, but no consequences for the Captain.

I had no doubt there would be no blame.

Water and wind were fast! (40+ knot  gusts)

How much were the damages?

53 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

I had no doubt there would be no blame.

Water and wind were fast! (40+ knot  gusts)

How much were the damages?

No clue, but likely around $150-200k.  Comes from their P&I insurance.

Mainly pointing out the lack of "blame culture" to "ace", who thinks every ship Captain needs to be fired.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, chengkp75 said:

No clue, but likely around $150-200k.  Comes from their P&I insurance.

$200k for a new docking platform + installation in the harbor?

wow.. a full dock isnt cheap

Edited by fstuff1