The Daily for Sunday Jan 10, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

You had me at chocolate too, and I also have gotten rid of all my houseplants because we (were) gone a lot.   It's much easier to have someone come water the outside plants and take care of the lawn when we're away.  I've known a lot of peculiar people over my life (of course I'm not one of them LOL) 😉  We had sausage last night and I'm not a fan of grits, so will pass on the meal.  I've found some Chilean wine to be very good, so will watch for the wine of the day.

I was sad to hear of the air crash in Indonesia and can't help but worry about our wonderful Indonesian crew.  

It's wonderful to hear that so many are able to get their vaccinations!!!  We're still waiting here, I don't think they have even started vaccinating residents of care facilities -- hope I'm wrong on that.  We're in the group after that, so it's getting closer.

@ger_77 we love salmon patties too (I have used crab, cod, other kinds of fish too) and thank you for telling us about Trisha's poem.  Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I think she would have been on one of my cancelled cruises.  And thank you @rafinmdfor posting the link.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It is evening here already and the sun is just setting over the hills.  It is already noticeable how much of a 'stretch' there is in the evenings.   So, so looking forward to spring.

This is a pic of our 'Marriage Plant'.  DW was given this as a gift at a 'kitchen party' just before we got married.  We often joke that the plant is a reflection of our marriage.  A few cuts here and there, but still strong.  We have this plant for 46 years!  DW talks to it and polishes the leaves, I sometimes think that it gets more attention than I do. Me jealous? Nah!

20210110_162830.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It is evening here already and the sun is just setting over the hills.  It is already noticeable how much of a 'stretch' there is in the evenings.   So, so looking forward to spring.

This is a pic of our 'Marriage Plant'.  DW was given this as a gift at a 'kitchen party' just before we got married.  We often joke that the plant is a reflection of our marriage.  A few cuts here and there, but still strong.  We have this plant for 46 years!  DW talks to it and polishes the leaves, I sometimes think that it gets more attention than I do. Me jealous? Nah!

20210110_162830.jpg

You have two successes to celebrate....the plant and your long marriage. Congratulations on both.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

20210110_162830.jpg

My mother had a split leave philodendron, too, which she named Phyllis.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon. I’m a bit late to the party today. I had trouble sleeping last night after hearing that my friend’s daughter died yesterday afternoon. 

I love any kind of chocolate. I’m a chocoholic. Bittersweet, dark, semi sweet. Love them all.

I love Trish’s poem. I had no idea she was a poet and almost didn’t recognize her since her picture on Facebook and CC was taken a while ago. My 15 year old grandson also wrote a poem which really surprised us.

I have tons of houseplants, including one I got  for my classroom in 1980. It just keeps growing and growing with very little care. When we came home from Florida last March it was blooming for the first time ever. It must be a once in 40 year bloom.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  It is sunny and breezy here today.  Our neighbor where in Texas about 60 miles south of Fort Worth sent a couple videos showing the snow they were getting.  It is definitely measurable, but up north it would probably be a dusting.  Our youngest DD sent a picture of her backyard in Austin.  It was still dusting.

Years ago, we let our oldest DD keep our two house plants (the only two I could get to survive) while we were traveling.  The first winter went fine, but the next winter she left them on the patio and they froze to death.  That was the end of our having houseplants.  😜

I love chocolate, but only have bittersweet when needed for a recipe.  But, then I’m pretty sure I can be called peculiar at times.

Since hearing of the crash of the Indonesian plane, I have been thinking even more about the wonderful people who take care of us on a blue hulled beauty.  Can’t help hoping none of them are affected by this tragedy.

Lenda

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon. I’m a bit late to the party today. I had trouble sleeping last night after hearing that my friend’s daughter died yesterday afternoon. 

I love any kind of chocolate. I’m a chocoholic. Bittersweet, dark, semi sweet. Love them all.

I love Trish’s poem. I had no idea she was a poet and almost didn’t recognize her since her picture on Facebook and CC was taken a while ago. My 15 year old grandson also wrote a poem which really surprised us.

I have tons of houseplants, including one I got  for my classroom in 1980. It just keeps growing and growing with very little care. When we came home from Florida last March it was blooming for the first time ever. It must be a once in 40 year bloom.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Sorry about the death of your friends daughter.

• Like 9

Good morning, all! What a wonderful collection of days! Rich, it was wise to lead with chocolate! You certainly know your crowd! Other than DH, my houseplants are the only beings I can socialize with in person, as they are members of my immediate household. Leading nicely to: I think we’re all getting to be a little peculiar these days.

Sausage and grits lasagna sounds interesting, just not sure in what way. Our plan tonight is roast chicken. Ann, I’m not usually fond of Chardonnay, but the write up mentions there is no taste of wood. I very much like unwooded Chardonnay, so I’ll have a look for it!

Well, yesterday’s beautiful break in the weather is over, and it’s back to grey and rainy here. It was nice to be able to watch the mountains for a day, and I look forward to seeing them next time we get a break.

Happy Sunday from the Amsterdam elevators, and here’s a view of the mountains showing from our window.

F151DD14-A2FA-4F64-871D-AFDB648B8630.jpeg

A94E9167-59DC-4A5F-9C6B-9C306CDF8CAA.jpeg

492555F7-DD04-4DCE-BF5B-ADE67DEAA812.jpeg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is Bittersweet Chocolate Day, Houseplant Appreciation Day, and Peculiar People Day............................

Mahatma Gandi was a peculiar person. 

He walked barefoot everywhere, to the point that his feet became quite thick and hard.

He often went on hunger strikes, and even when he wasn't on a hunger strike, he did not eat much and became quite thin and frail. He also was a very spiritual person.

Finally, because he didn't eat much and when he did his diet was peculiar, he developed very bad breath.

Because of all of this,  he was soon known as a super-calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

We have an Irish guy who comes to the pub ever night and orders two beers at the same time

He was asked about this peculiar practice and said, “I promised me brother in Ireland that I would always have a pint for him while in America”.

This went on for years. The man was a fixture at the bar, ordering his two pints and sitting at the bar drinking them by himself for years.

One day, the man walked into the bar and said, “bartender, one beer please”. Silence fell. After a few moments, the bartender comes over, hands the man his pint, and says, “Hey, I’m really sorry about your brother”.

“What? Me brother is fine! I’ve quit drinking”.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 15

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Houseplant day, interesting, I had to give up our houseplants including multiple orchids when we retired as we were never home.  Perhaps it’s time to get a few new ones.

We haven’t had houseplants in years, nor pets, for the same reason. Our neighbor gave us a plant for Christmas ( have no idea what it is!) which is safe until we can finally cruise again. If by some miracle it’s still alive then we may have to give it back to them to plant sit until we return. 

• Like 6

Call me peculiar, but I love bittersweet chocolate.  I always look for the stuff that is 85-90% cocoa.  

We started out gray this morning, but it has brightened up.  I am going downtown for a prayer service for peace and justice at the Gazebo - socially distanced and masked as well as outdoors - this afternoon.  Not that it will make a huge difference, but for those of us old folks, at least we can feel that we did something.

• Like 12

Good morning, and thanks to all who post! I used to use a lot of bittersweet chocolate in the days I made brownies for the children to take to school, not so much since they grew up.  How nice that we will have a ship to look at for a few days in Fort Lauderdale.  I do hope it has to do with getting ready to sail again.  Maybe crew are getting their vaccines?   I have been wondering recently about the crew/staff in Indonesia and the Philippines, if HAL keeps in touch with them, and if they are getting ready to renew some contracts.  I wonder if we will possibly see some familiar faces when we go back to cruising.   

Mahatma Gandhi was born 150 years ago.  He had a great influence on the world!   and, @Copper10-8, that is my DH's favourite Irish joke.  

I do have a few houseplants, the local garden centre said in their latest newsletter that many people are buying them in this time of pandemic.  I guess in lieu of a pet!  I don't have a great deal of luck with them, my DD said they grow in spite of me, not because of me.

I wonder why my type keeps changing and letters are moving around.  I will sign off and come back  later and see what happens.

(Had to proof this about 3 times!)

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Good morning all -- I'm one of those peculiar people who can't seem to keep houseplants alive. Be advised that I'm reading/replying just after picking up about 50 leaves dropped by my Christmas poinsettia. 🤷‍♀️.  It's a family joke -- my son once said, upon seeing me bring home a new house plant "Why not just toss it out now and spare us the agony of watching it die?"

Not in favor of sausage and grits lasagna (why???) but I will happily indulge in today's alternative meal and the wine sounds excellent. The cocktail too, for a party. Not for a party of one. :classic_sad:

I think we should not be too quick to shrug off kazu's suggestion -- a winery in Italy has a lot going for it. Maybe a nice Orvieto. Small cooperativos are the general rule there -- I would be happy to serve as the onsite quality control.

image.png.3a5f72d7e18e55e055fd9ea07269a19a.png

Oh I am So IN!  Loved Jacqui’s idea, and Italy for sure!  

C15A3ADA-519C-4EC4-9EB6-84BBF6891F4D.jpeg

• Like 9

On the way "home" (San Diego) from her Grand Asia/Pacific voyage, Amsterdam found herself approx. half-way between the Hawaiian islands and the U.S. mainland when we were ready on the bridge for an encounter. That encounter was with HAL's "S"-class vessel Veendam under the command of Capt. Eric van der Wal. She was heading in the opposite direction for those same Hawaiian islands. 

As the closing distance decreased, Veendam's position was followed on radar (PHEO was Veendam's call sign) until one of the eagle-eyed quartermasters/look-outs spotted her on the horizon. Radio contact was made and, as we passed each other, a series of whistle blows (horn toots) were exchanged in the middle of the Pacific. Both vessels then continued their separate ways. The last pic is of Amsterdam, sent to me by my counterpart on Veendam. A very cool moment!   

010.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

040.JPG

042.JPG

044.JPG

048.JPG

050.JPG

053.JPG

054.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Meal suggestion for today - Sausage & Grits Lasagna

???

Did you mean Sauage & Polenta Lasagna?

Or is this a Fusion Cuisine dish?

🤣🤣🤣

Thanks, Rich and all the other contributors of "The Daily. . . ."  It has become a regular part of my morning routine.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2019 Grand South America voyage and is taken from MS Prinsendam's anchorage outside Panama City:

dawn0110.jpg

Roy

We were on this cruise, too. Enjoying reliving the voyage with your posts and pictures. We ended up with one of those stuffed penguins, had to buy a suitcase to get it home!

• Like 6

Thanks Rich!  Love the chocolate and houseplants, and aren’t we all a little peculiar?  

Carol, my condolences!  

Here’s our houseplant of the same vintage as @VMax1700.  Was a good year for a marriage. They come in handy to sub for a Christmas tree.  We are lucky to have a kind neighbour who will watch our plants! 

FA4418D3-714F-4BAE-B5AD-917CC66C4934.jpeg

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

On the way "home" (San Diego) from her Grand Asia/Pacific voyage, Amsterdam found herself approx. half-way between the Hawaiian islands and the U.S. mainland when we were ready on the bridge for an encounter. That encounter was with HAL's "S"-class vessel Veendam under the command of Capt. Eric van der Wal. She was heading in the opposite direction for those same Hawaiian islands. 

As the closing distance decreased, Veendam's position was followed on radar (PHEO was Veendam's call sign) until one of the eagle-eyed quartermasters/look-outs spotted her on the horizon. Radio contact was made and, as we passed each other, a series of whistle blows (horn toots) were exchanged in the middle of the Pacific. Both vessels then continued their separate ways. The last pic is of Amsterdam, sent to me by my counterpart on Veendam. A very cool moment!   

010.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

040.JPG

042.JPG

044.JPG

048.JPG

050.JPG

053.JPG

054.jpg

I am missing all that Blue!   

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Oh I am So IN!  Loved Jacqui’s idea, and Italy for sure!  

C15A3ADA-519C-4EC4-9EB6-84BBF6891F4D.jpeg

Hmmm.... Do you think some of us could pool our unused cruise budget from the past year and BUY a small winery in Italy? Flying there to taste the wine and make sure the vineyards were getting adequate sunshine would count as business. This makes it essential travel🤔I’m in! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A little bit of horn "toots" in the middle of the Pacific - This is from Veendam; I wasn't quick enough (story of my life 🤪 ) to catch Amsterdam's first series we'll see if this comes out 

049.MOV

And in the midst of that huge Pacific two blue-hulled beauties meet and greet!!

Wonderful!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Hmmm.... Do you think some of us could pool our unused cruise budget from the past year and BUY a small winery in Italy? Flying there to taste the wine and make sure the vineyards were getting adequate sunshine would count as business. This makes it essential travel🤔I’m in! 

Now you're thinking!

We definitely need to involve people with more of a green thumb than I have, but as far as testing the product goes, I'm in. (And I speak passable Italian.)

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A little bit of horn "toots" in the middle of the Pacific - This is from Veendam; I wasn't quick enough (story of my life 🤪 ) to catch Amsterdam's first series we'll see if this comes out 

Love those toots.So many memories.

• Like 6