The Daily for Sunday Jan 10, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

DH has asked me to make one of his favourite - salmon patties - which are stupidly easy, but he loves them, so why not?  Served with potatoes and a vegetable will be what's feeding us tonight.  And wine

Gerry, I would love your recipe if you can share. I am always looking for new ideas for salmon. 

• Like 5

Thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.  That margarita looks fabulous.  I, too, like no wood chardonnay so it's good I live in Oregon where most Chardonnay isn't woody or buttery like California. 

Yesterday I mentioned a mask frame with a yogurt container.  The pattern came from Made By Barb.  https://www.madebybarb.com/2020/09/09/diy-face-mask-support-frame/

Here's a pic just placing it in an existing mask.  If you have a mask where you already put in a filter pocket, you can just slide it in.  I made a couple of pockets for existing mask (you can't see the frame) and just cut the ends to fit the width of the mask.  It sure makes breathing a bit easier.  Plastic milk jugs work well too.

mask with frame.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

It is evening here already and the sun is just setting over the hills.  It is already noticeable how much of a 'stretch' there is in the evenings.   So, so looking forward to spring.

This is a pic of our 'Marriage Plant'.  DW was given this as a gift at a 'kitchen party' just before we got married.  We often joke that the plant is a reflection of our marriage.  A few cuts here and there, but still strong.  We have this plant for 46 years!  DW talks to it and polishes the leaves, I sometimes think that it gets more attention than I do. Me jealous? Nah!

20210110_162830.jpg

Wow - good for you two.  I had one of those and it moved from Ontario to New Brunswick to Nova Scotia and then back to New Brunswick.  It lasted through it al for over 30 years and then one day if just died.

not sure if it was the stress from all the moves or what but nothing I could do could save it and I do love my plants and will do anything.

I’m jealous in the good way 😄 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

It's wonderful to hear that so many are able to get their vaccinations!!!  We're still waiting here, I don't think they have even started vaccinating residents of care facilities -- hope I'm wrong on that.  We're in the group after that, so it's getting closer.

Quoting myself, I just talked with DSIL who said WA is in fact vaccinating residents of care facilities now.  So I guess we're more on schedule than I thought, and hopefully will be getting our jabs in arms in a few weeks.  It would be a great birthday present 🙂  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We had some dark chocolate (65% I think) and red wine for dessert last night after the "spaghetti pie". Tonight might be pulled pork using Friday's leftover roast. 

We were in Georgetown, Cayman Islands today in 2019. It was an overcast day and tendering was a bit difficult due to the number of ships. Including the sadly missed Veendam -

DSC_0630.thumb.JPG.f998f5ec892410b47ebfa698b1b66bd0.JPG

So we stayed onboard and enjoyed the new ship -

376925566_DSC_0631(2).thumb.JPG.119c6fe8f252d78c5667b765cf4333a5.JPG

You had me at chocolate also.

I have visited Grand Cayman - several times, but only tendered the first time. Tendering is not fun with mobility issues [plus I'm very short] - even though the crew is splendid help.  I do like an empty ship at mealtimes 😄

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.  That margarita looks fabulous.  I, too, like no wood chardonnay so it's good I live in Oregon where most Chardonnay isn't woody or buttery like California. 

Yesterday I mentioned a mask frame with a yogurt container.  The pattern came from Made By Barb.  https://www.madebybarb.com/2020/09/09/diy-face-mask-support-frame/

Here's a pic just placing it in an existing mask.  If you have a mask where you already put in a filter pocket, you can just slide it in.  I made a couple of pockets for existing mask (you can't see the frame) and just cut the ends to fit the width of the mask.  It sure makes breathing a bit easier.  Plastic milk jugs work well too.

mask with frame.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Good instructions.  I'm going to try this!

• Like 6

missed a day so sorry.  I'm going to see if my dh can post some pictures of me in Helsinki eating the wonderful salmon soup they had at the market down by the waterfront and the batch I made the other night. love that soup.  I'm going to count myself as a peculiar person so I guess today is my day. sorry don't care for grits so I will pass on that menu but I do like the alternative listed but we are having beef ka bobs (remember I don't have an oven so the grill will have to suffice). I have killed more house plants than I can count but I have a windowsill full of air plants and things I haven"t killed yet, give me time though you never know.  love all the jokes cartoons, people who haven't killed their houseplants (and have actually kept them 46 years). wow. stay safe everyone.  Linda

windowsill.jpg

samon_soup_helsinki.jpeg

samon_soup_homemade.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon. I’m a bit late to the party today. I had trouble sleeping last night after hearing that my friend’s daughter died yesterday afternoon. 

You, your friend and your families are in my prayers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

A little bit of horn "toots" in the middle of the Pacific - This is from Veendam; I wasn't quick enough (story of my life 🤪 ) to catch Amsterdam's first series we'll see if this comes out 

John, you did good! Thank you for bringing a smile to my face!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It has been a sad week for those of us watching and studying the attack on the Capitol and the related events.

I guess that is partly why so many read and post here, partly to escape the current day and relive our pleasurable times onboard and traveling.

Reading in todays Tampa Bay Times about Neil Diamond, you know that guy who sang Sweet Caroline that you still hear onboard at the piano bar/Billboard Onboard every cruise.  He  was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 years ago and quit touring, but he says it hasn't hurt his voice and can still sing.  He is 79 years old; how can that be when we are all still so young?  His album, America,  was the story of his grandparents coming to America for that freedom.  His grandmother came to the US on a HOLLAND AMERICA ship when she was 12, escaping Jewish oppression in Russia.  Maybe one of the old Rotterdam's???

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Rich!  Love the chocolate and houseplants, and aren’t we all a little peculiar?  

Carol, my condolences!  

Here’s our houseplant of the same vintage as @VMax1700.  Was a good year for a marriage. They come in handy to sub for a Christmas tree.  We are lucky to have a kind neighbour who will watch our plants! 

FA4418D3-714F-4BAE-B5AD-917CC66C4934.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!

• Like 4

We have no pets, but quite a few houseplants.  DW likes them for their Feng Shui attributes.  We have often cruised as long as 71 days, but they survive.  We have a two story house on a hillside, so the bottom floor is usually 10 degrees F cooler than the upper, main living area.  A day before we leave I put down a plastic sheet on the tile floor, bring down all the plants, and give them as much water as the pot can handle.  They always survive until we get home.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

It has been a sad week for those of us watching and studying the attack on the Capitol and the related events.

I guess that is partly why so many read and post here, partly to escape the current day and relive our pleasurable times onboard and traveling.

Reading in todays Tampa Bay Times about Neil Diamond, you know that guy who sang Sweet Caroline that you still hear onboard at the piano bar/Billboard Onboard every cruise.  He  was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 years ago and quit touring, but he says it hasn't hurt his voice and can still sing.  He is 79 years old; how can that be when we are all still so young?  His album, America,  was the story of his grandparents coming to America for that freedom.  His grandmother came to the US on a HOLLAND AMERICA ship when she was 12, escaping Jewish oppression in Russia.  Maybe one of the old Rotterdam's???

Huge fan of Neil Diamond here, we've gone to 25 of his concerts.  And he and I share a birthday this month, he will be 80!   (I know, hard to believe!)  At his last concert I could tell something was wrong, so sadly wasn't surprised at his diagnosis.  Still, he put on an amazing show even then. These are from 2012.  Sorry for the quality, these were before DH got a better camera!

ND2.JPG

ND3.JPG

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Mahatma Gandi was a peculiar person. 

He walked barefoot everywhere, to the point that his feet became quite thick and hard.

He often went on hunger strikes, and even when he wasn't on a hunger strike, he did not eat much and became quite thin and frail. He also was a very spiritual person.

Finally, because he didn't eat much and when he did his diet was peculiar, he developed very bad breath.

Because of all of this,  he was soon known as a super-calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

We have an Irish guy who comes to the pub ever night and orders two beers at the same time

He was asked about this peculiar practice and said, “I promised me brother in Ireland that I would always have a pint for him while in America”.

This went on for years. The man was a fixture at the bar, ordering his two pints and sitting at the bar drinking them by himself for years.

One day, the man walked into the bar and said, “bartender, one beer please”. Silence fell. After a few moments, the bartender comes over, hands the man his pint, and says, “Hey, I’m really sorry about your brother”.

“What? Me brother is fine! I’ve quit drinking”.

I have heard that one before==even told it a few times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobpatj said:

We’ve been able to register for getting our shots, but that’s all we know so far.  Ohio has been slow, so far.

We can't register down here in Portage County.  Not much news from our Board of Health - just check our Facebook page.   Big Help.  

My new exercise regime.

wine aerobics.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Gerry, I would love your recipe if you can share. I am always looking for new ideas for salmon. 

I'm more than happy to share this with you: 

1 box of Stovetop stuffing

1 cup cooked salmon or 2 cans of salmon (drained)

1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1 cup shredded cheese

3/4 cup water

2 or 3 green onions, chopped up

Dill - as much or as little as you like

Mix all together well, cover with saran wrap and put in fridge for about 30 mins.( I have done it after 15 mins and it was fine).  Form into patties using approx 1 heaping Tablespoonful for each and fry in pan, for about 3 mins on each side until they brown and melt cheese.   I used a non-stick pan and didn't have to use any extra oil. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon. I’m a bit late to the party today. I had trouble sleeping last night after hearing that my friend’s daughter died yesterday afternoon. 

So sorry, condolences to you and your friend's family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Here’s our houseplant of the same vintage as @VMax1700.  Was a good year for a marriage. They come in handy to sub for a Christmas tree.  We are lucky to have a kind neighbour who will watch our plants! 

FA4418D3-714F-4BAE-B5AD-917CC66C4934.jpeg

What is the name of your plant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Huge fan of Neil Diamond here, we've gone to 25 of his concerts.  And he and I share a birthday this month, he will be 80!   (I know, hard to believe!)  At his last concert I could tell something was wrong, so sadly wasn't surprised at his diagnosis.  Still, he put on an amazing show even then. These are from 2012.  Sorry for the quality, these were before DH got a better camera!

ND2.JPG

ND3.JPG

Good for you.  I do wish I had seen him concert.  Wouldn't it be nice to have perform on a Holland America ship?