DINING DISASTERS onboard ship...

CGTNORMANDIE

11 hours ago, Lowiepete said:

There is an adjunct to this story. Mr. and Mrs. H had travelled the World on a previous Caronia Cruise. Not long into my gathering of ephemera from the ship I happened upon a PaxList from this earlier cruise. Back in those days, women pax outnumbered the men by factors, they maybe still do. It seems that back then one or two were pretty determined in their "manhunts". Were these women always called "Cougars"?

Said PaxList had brief annotations beside almost every male passenger and not too few couples either. This previous lady owner did not mince her words! Beside one notable entry came the description of "Queer and Rich"; there were other quite disparaging remarks with few compliments, quite unbecoming really. Beside the names of our heroes above, she'd appended: "Loud"...

Should I disagree?  😉  

Regards,

Steve

LOL...I think the author was being kind!  I would have called them obnoxious...LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, Lowiepete said:

Hello Folks,

While Caronia was in Belfast having her 1965 refit, I went to work on board the RMS Windsor Castle on the 6 week Cape Mail run. On the station next to me there was a deuce table with an elderly couple from Switzerland as its occupants. They travelled both ways with us and they never missed a single meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner, even during the extended stay in Cape Town on our way back.

While they spoke to their waiters in English, they spoke in French between themselves. One lunchtime I was watching the station while the waiters took a smoke-break and happened to overhear one of their conversations. I could barely believe my ears. After a few more of these furtive, but no longer accidental eavesdrops, I felt had to pass on what was being discussed.

Basically, no matter what the meal, there was always something "wrong" - oh the tea wasn't hot enough or the bacon was too salty. They were also pretty rude about one of their waiters who shall we say was "a bit camp". "Oooooh, right", he said as I related the goings-on, "I'm gonna fix them!" Heck, you're not going to dob me in are you? A quick shake of the head was assurance enough. 

So, the weeks blended, one into another, when I'm summoned to "Come and watch this..." It's the last meal of the voyage and the ship is not far from passing the Isle of Wight. I go and take up station, propping up the dumb-waiter as I often did, when, with a deep intake of breath this couple are treated to the full farewell speech: hope you enjoyed your trip; hope you enjoyed the food and the service etc. Once one of the pair had done his party-piece, his mate then took his place and delivered an equally impassioned entreaty, of course, wishing them a safe journey back to Switzerland.

Nothing untoward so far? What I've omitted from the story is that both speeches were delivered in phrase-perfect French! If only I could have taken a picture of their faces... What these guys had done was to persuade one of the Head Waiters in the other restaurant to coach them. You might have wondered about the warning placed in my previous post; just mind that nearly 60 years on this story is again being related.

Regards,

Steve

LOL LOL LOL!!  GREAT STORY Steve!  Another vignette for the TL.

Switzerland was mentioned so it brought to mind our table onboard the eastward crossing on the QE II in 1975.  We had a convivial group of 6.  Two of the people were young ladies...teachers who said they were from Switzerland.  They had been traveling through the US and were returning home.  In the course of each evening they would talk in French.  I really think they were French because I never once heard them conversing in Alt Deutsch.  I was able to converse with them in my limited French.  They told me they were very embarrassed as they had spent every last cent they had getting on the ship.  DW and I invited them for pre-dinner cocktails each evening and they thanked me profusely.  They left the ship without leaving tips for our two waiters.  Our waiters were so bad that it didn’t seem to phase them.  These were the waiters that ended up wearing  more food than they were serving.  When they found out that they had left the ship in Cherbourg they just looked at each other and said “Oh Well”.  Normally this would be a sad event but with these two it was slightly comical.  I did tip them both...against my better judgment.  This was the closest I ever came to withholding a tip...they were that bad.  

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL LOL LOL!!  GREAT STORY Steve!  Another vignette for the TL.

Sadly, it doesn't have much to do with the Caronia... 😞

I meant to add that at the tender age of 18, I'd learned that it didn't do to "cross an old queen" - bearing in mind that at my age anyone over 50 was positively ancient! 😉

Edited by Lowiepete

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Maybe there should be a separate appendix entitled “Seagoing Experiences”. 

What do you mean? Having invited my virtual cruising companions to relax with a suitable libation, they can't be spitting it back out again while reading about such a dining disaster; aboard the RMS Caronia? Tsk.

I'm reminded of a time when we were on a Caronia transat to NYC and we had 2 sittings in the Sandringham Restaurant. Suddenly, I find myself "promoted" from Commis to Cabin Waiter, just for this meal as a guy had been taken off at short notice. There were no Deck Buffets held at lunchtimes on transats, so everyone was in the restaurant for the bedlam that was 2 sittings. The first lot had to be out and tables relaid before the 2nd lot could be admitted.

Flies with shiny blue backsides would not come close to describing how well organised we had to be! The standards expected on any Cunard ship were still fully expected and the crew attitude was such that "I'm not going to be the one who is seen to fall short". You stood out if you did!

Having said that, there was no extra money from Cunard and there was no overtime payment either. If we wanted extra income, it would be vital to look after your bloods, in the hope that their tipping was just reward. However, even as a master of understatement that I'm often accused of being, I can only describe 2 sittings on board a ship in heavy seas as a blithering nightmare!

All these years later, I still wonder if I dreamed about this, or did it actually happen? Unlike on cruises, to save time when the table orders were taken, they would include the dessert as well as any starter/main courses. First sitting diners would be dissuaded from taking starters beyond a fruit juice, simply because there was so little time for them to enjoy it. Now, I knew my new "mate" on nodding terms, but had no idea about his waiting skills. I'm not claiming any superiority here, after all I was just a "jumped-up Commis"!

Nevertheless, together we had to very quickly formulate plans for the service and make it as efficient as possible. There were 50 or more other waiters all chasing the same goal, so there was no choice. It was still the Head Waiters who took the meal orders, and they were clever enough to steer the table's occupants toward quick and easy to serve dishes. You always saw good Head Waiters as your "best friends" because their skills would save you a whole lot of shoe-leather. They had all been there!

Anyway, I know what the dessert was for one poor soul. It was apple charlotte and custard. Only, my rather flustered mate had brought a portion in, along with his main course dishes. Next thing I know, I'm pointing down at the dish, quietly reminding him that this was the dessert...

The very hot serving dish, along with the custard in a gravy boat, was being held in his cloth and he was about to go and push someone's roast beef, roast potatoes and gravy aside on their plate, add the apple charlotte and pour the custard over it. You should have seen the look of realisation and relief on his face! Us commis waiters were not allowed in the "Pig" where the adult ratings drank beer, instead I got a can or three of "Tennents: A Baby in Every Tin" lager smuggled to me by a guy grateful that I hadn't mocked or dobbed him in.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Lowiepete
punctuation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lowiepete said:

What do you mean? Having invited my virtual cruising companions to relax with a suitable libation, they can't be spitting it back out again while reading about such a dining disaster; aboard the RMS Caronia? Tsk.

I'm reminded of a time when we were on a Caronia transat to NYC and we had 2 sittings in the Sandringham Restaurant. Suddenly, I find myself "promoted" from Commis to Cabin Waiter, just for this meal as a guy had been taken off at short notice. There were no Deck Buffets held at lunchtimes on transats, so everyone was in the restaurant for the bedlam that was 2 sittings. The first lot had to be out and tables relaid before the 2nd lot could be admitted.

Flies with shiny blue backsides would not come close to describing how well organised we had to be! The standards expected on any Cunard ship were still fully expected and the crew attitude was such that "I'm not going to be the one who is seen to fall short". You stood out if you did!

Having said that, there was no extra money from Cunard and there was no overtime payment either. If we wanted extra income, it would be vital to look after your bloods, in the hope that their tipping was just reward. However, even as a master of understatement that I'm often accused of being, I can only describe 2 sittings on board a ship in heavy seas as a blithering nightmare!

All these years later, I still wonder if I dreamed about this, or did it actually happen? Unlike on cruises, to save time when the table orders were taken, they would include the dessert as well as any starter/main courses. First sitting diners would be dissuaded from taking starters beyond a fruit juice, simply because there was so little time for them to enjoy it. Now, I knew my new "mate" on nodding terms, but had no idea about his waiting skills. I'm not claiming any superiority here, after all I was just a "jumped-up Commis"!

Nevertheless, together we had to very quickly formulate plans for the service and make it as efficient as possible. There were 50 or more other waiters all chasing the same goal, so there was no choice. It was still the Head Waiters who took the meal orders, and they were clever enough to steer the table's occupants toward quick and easy to serve dishes. You always saw good Head Waiters as your "best friends" because their skills would save you a whole lot of shoe-leather. They had all been there!

Anyway, I know what the dessert was for one poor soul. It was apple charlotte and custard. Only, my rather flustered mate had brought a portion in, along with his main course dishes. Next thing I know, I'm pointing down at the dish, quietly reminding him that this was the dessert...

The very hot serving dish, along with the custard in a gravy boat, was being held in his cloth and he was about to go and push someone's roast beef, roast potatoes and gravy aside on their plate, add the apple charlotte and pour the custard over it. You should have seen the look of realisation and relief on his face! Us commis waiters were not allowed in the "Pig" where the adult ratings drank beer, instead I got a can or three of "Tennents: A Baby in Every Tin" lager smuggled to me by a guy grateful that I hadn't mocked or dobbed him in.

Regards,

Steve

Priceless!  Thanks so much for your narrative Steve.  Details like this are priceless!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, Lowiepete said:

So, the weeks blended, one into another, when I'm summoned to "Come and watch this..." It's the last meal of the voyage and the ship is not far from passing the Isle of Wight. I go and take up station, propping up the dumb-waiter as I often did, when, with a deep intake of breath this couple are treated to the full farewell speech: hope you enjoyed your trip; hope you enjoyed the food and the service etc. Once one of the pair had done his party-piece, his mate then took his place and delivered an equally impassioned entreaty, of course, wishing them a safe journey back to Switzerland.

Nothing untoward so far? What I've omitted from the story is that both speeches were delivered in phrase-perfect French! If only I could have taken a picture of their faces... What these guys had done was to persuade one of the Head Waiters in the other restaurant to coach them

🤣🤣🤣

On 1/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I did tip them both...against my better judgment.  This was the closest I ever came to withholding a tip

I wrote a message about your statement and I have had experiences such as yours.  I deleted all that I wrote.  I don't want this thread to evolve into a "tipping" discussion.  

I surely appreciate learning of lowiepete's experiences.  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wrote a message about your statement and I have had experiences such as yours.  I deleted all that I wrote.  I don't want this thread to evolve into a "tipping" discussion.  

I surely appreciate learning of lowiepete's experiences.  

Agreed...thank Heavens the usual lurkers are not following here...LOL.  We are fortunate to have such a convivial group.  

Lowiepete’s experiences are pearls for ocean liner historians.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago I was working on HAL’s Volendam. At that time, some genius in the Corporate Office decided to cancel all non-essential maintenance in order to increase profits.

We were struggling with broken elevators, leaking water pipes, and tenders out of service. I was constantly complaining about the problems, but our Engineers were unable to make repairs with no spare parts.

One of the more nagging problems was the ventilation in the main dining room. The main fan had been broken for over one year and there was no sign that it would be repaired anytime soon. My guests were constantly complaining about the dining room too warm and stuffy. They were right. But there seemed to be nothing I could do about it. One of our new Junior Engineers had heard my constant complaining, and decided to do something about it. He spent most of one day in the fans room next to the dining room. Finally he was able to fix the problem. He decided to surprise me and the Chief Engineer by making the thing finally work properly.

It was 6pm on a formal night, and the main courses were just being served in the dining room. The new engineer flipped the switch, not thinking about all the dust and debris that had accumulated in the fan space over the many months it was inactive.

A large black cloud of dust blew into the upper reaches of the 2-storey dining room, and rained down on all the diners seated below. Panic and mayhem ensued, as the waiters and Maitre d’ tried to get things under control. They telephoned me in a panic and I rushed to see what had happened. The diners were all gone. The Maitre d’ had sent them all upstairs to the Lido to start the dinner all over again. All beverages were complimentary for that evening. 

As I looked around the deserted dining room, all the sparkling white tablecloths had changed to a brown-black color - except the bright white circles where the dinner plates had been when the dust cloud descended.

Our laundry spent the remainder of the cruise trying to salvage the formal clothes of our guests. I spent the remainder of the cruise issuing refunds for damaged clothing and apologizing profusely for all the trouble. We had to purchase all new table cloths for the dining room.

The new engineer did not lose his job, but was sternly reprimanded for trying to operate outside the chain of command.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Donald said:

Several years ago I was working on HAL’s Volendam. At that time, some genius in the Corporate Office decided to cancel all non-essential maintenance in order to increase profits.

We were struggling with broken elevators, leaking water pipes, and tenders out of service. I was constantly complaining about the problems, but our Engineers were unable to make repairs with no spare parts.

One of the more nagging problems was the ventilation in the main dining room. The main fan had been broken for over one year and there was no sign that it would be repaired anytime soon. My guests were constantly complaining about the dining room too warm and stuffy. They were right. But there seemed to be nothing I could do about it. One of our new Junior Engineers had heard my constant complaining, and decided to do something about it. He spent most of one day in the fans room next to the dining room. Finally he was able to fix the problem. He decided to surprise me and the Chief Engineer by making the thing finally work properly.

It was 6pm on a formal night, and the main courses were just being served in the dining room. The new engineer flipped the switch, not thinking about all the dust and debris that had accumulated in the fan space over the many months it was inactive.

A large black cloud of dust blew into the upper reaches of the 2-storey dining room, and rained down on all the diners seated below. Panic and mayhem ensued, as the waiters and Maitre d’ tried to get things under control. They telephoned me in a panic and I rushed to see what had happened. The diners were all gone. The Maitre d’ had sent them all upstairs to the Lido to start the dinner all over again. All beverages were complimentary for that evening. 

As I looked around the deserted dining room, all the sparkling white tablecloths had changed to a brown-black color - except the bright white circles where the dinner plates had been when the dust cloud descended.

Our laundry spent the remainder of the cruise trying to salvage the formal clothes of our guests. I spent the remainder of the cruise issuing refunds for damaged clothing and apologizing profusely for all the trouble. We had to purchase all new table cloths for the dining room.

The new engineer did not lose his job, but was sternly reprimanded for trying to operate outside the chain of command.

Great story...thank you Donald.  Please...keep them coming!

19 hours ago, Donald said:

A large black cloud of dust blew

Your post reminds me of when my school building was being remodeled/reconstructed.  On a very cold Spring morning before the new heating heating/AC system had been connected, the old system started.  Decades of black coal dust spewed out of the vents into the rooms.  I remember spending quite some time cleaning my classroom that day.

This was several years ago on a Carnival ship, with a group of 30 Deaf and signers (ie ASL interpreters off-duty, family members, CODAs, etc). We were seated in the dining room, split amongst several tables. 12 of us sat at one window-side table, another 8 across two four-person tables across the main aisle, and another 12 at the table next to the first. Anyone familiar with the Deaf community will understand how conversations are not kept to individual tables, but rather, cross over (as we as signers have the benefit of not needing to shout to be heard across the room). 

Not being familiar with the protocols of interrupting the conversation waves, the wait staff were at a lost of what to do - how to politely interrupt us when it was time to place orders ("Sir? Ready to order? Sir?" followed by silence as the waiter spoke to the back of the person's head *facepalm*), how to navigate the aisle without blocking someone's sight-lines, and how to not panic among the flying fingers. 

One waiter stood off to the side, looked around, surveyed his options, and limboed through the conversation WHILE carrying a loaded tray, thinking if he walked down low, we could see across his belly. It was a VERY good limbo, going through 6-8 feet before returning to upright pose and walked on as if it was a normal thing to do. It had the opposite effect that he had hoped - the conversations stopped, fingers froze in midair and all 30 heads swiveled to the waiter in shock. Laughter soon followed. 

They did eventually figure it out (through observation, change of position when speaking to us, using gestures and mimes and pointing to menus, etc) and actually asking us "Okay, how do we do this? Hold up the menu? Wave to get your attention? Okay. Taps to shoulders okay? Yes? What's the sign for *point to object*?, etc)

For the record - the most polite thing is just WALK through. Don't stop, don't apologize, don't make a big show out of it, don't walk in and pause and apologize. Just walk through normally. Yes we'd miss a sign or two but we are good at figuring it out and asking for clarification when needed. 

But that limboing waiter.... that was a priceless scene. (We did ask for a reenactment to see if he could do it again without falling to the floor - he bent down SO LOW doing it). 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

how 30 people, at 3 different tables, can all converse simultaneously without missing a word. 

It's an art form!

Have tons of those stories about Deaf/hearing interactions (including on ship too).  My favorite ones are when the crew/staff try to kick us out ( er, make that "shuffle us along") of a venue because they needed to close down for the night - but the "Deaf Goodbye" is LONG, and can last for an hour or more.

Ie a group of us in a closed-off venue (reserved for happy hour for us - so I guess it is dining related? We had snacks?) and they were trying to shoo us out without being too rude/obvious. Problem? Every time they'd tell one knot to "please exit venue', another 10 would move back in, so it became. a one step forward, two steps backwards situation. Remembering a similar situation at Starbucks on land (the Deaf Coffee Chats), I flagged an interpreter and whispered to a staff, "My suggestion, if you want us out, is to turn the lights off. Don't be wishy washy - just do it." 

They didn't believe me at first and continued to "herd cats" until one threw the towel in, headed over the light panel, and shut all the lights off. Guess what happens when lights are extinguished? Conversation stops. 

Like magic, the knots of Deaf passengers moved out into the interior promenade area to continue chatting and the relieved staff literally closed the doors on our back. 

The following night, word spread and they learned if they wanted us out a venue, "kill the lights" works wonder 🙂

But yes, we can not only talk across tables, but across atriums (even from different floors - I had a conversation from Deck 2 with someone on Deck 8 because we were too lazy to use the stairs to meet up), and through glass window partitions among other benefits. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

It's an art form!

Have tons of those stories about Deaf/hearing interactions (including on ship too).  My favorite ones are when the crew/staff try to kick us out ( er, make that "shuffle us along") of a venue because they needed to close down for the night - but the "Deaf Goodbye" is LONG, and can last for an hour or more.

Ie a group of us in a closed-off venue (reserved for happy hour for us - so I guess it is dining related? We had snacks?) and they were trying to shoo us out without being too rude/obvious. Problem? Every time they'd tell one knot to "please exit venue', another 10 would move back in, so it became. a one step forward, two steps backwards situation. Remembering a similar situation at Starbucks on land (the Deaf Coffee Chats), I flagged an interpreter and whispered to a staff, "My suggestion, if you want us out, is to turn the lights off. Don't be wishy washy - just do it." 

They didn't believe me at first and continued to "herd cats" until one threw the towel in, headed over the light panel, and shut all the lights off. Guess what happens when lights are extinguished? Conversation stops. 

Like magic, the knots of Deaf passengers moved out into the interior promenade area to continue chatting and the relieved staff literally closed the doors on our back. 

The following night, word spread and they learned if they wanted us out a venue, "kill the lights" works wonder 🙂

But yes, we can not only talk across tables, but across atriums (even from different floors - I had a conversation from Deck 2 with someone on Deck 8 because we were too lazy to use the stairs to meet up), and through glass window partitions among other benefits. 

Wonders will never cease.  I would say deaf people have no trouble communicating by signing as opposed to speakers who never listen and never stop talking.  

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Our dining disaster wasn't one meal but an entire voyage.  Our last cruise was in September 2021 on the AQSC American Queen.

They apparently had shortages in staff in the kitchen and dining room.  The first night we did get dishes served and some looked quite fancy but nearly all dishes were served cold and the service was so slow we ended up missing the beginning of the show both nights, even without staying for dessert.

With no announcement ahead of time (there was NEVER any communication  from the dining room management about the situation all week) they switched to a served buffet in the main dining room and that's what they did the rest of the week.  There was no attempt to flavor most of the food beyond salt and pepper.  Virtually no sauces for anything unless it came from a bottle.  Plain chicken breasts, fatty cuts of steak with barely any color.  No attempt at an presentation just cold bland food at every station, day after day.  Yes, it was still mostly cold because they would stack the chicken breasts or steaks or pork chops five high on the steam table so unless you lucky enough to get the first couple right out of the kitchen or maybe the last 10 on the bottom layer, there was nothing keeping them warm.

They had non-dining mangers/officers and entertainers pouring wine.  Chardonnay would get dumped into your half-glass of moscato, or even a red dumped into a white, or vice-versa...they must have been drinking the wine themselves.  

Outside of mealtimes past the third day, you couldn't get any snack or anything.

I'd give the whole dining experience a 3.  I generally give McDonalds at least a 5!

After the cruise, we stayed in New Orleans for three nights.  Our first meal was lunch and we found some place that was behind some construction that we didn't even see but the manager was out on the main street showing off menus.  I had alligator fritters, and a chicken and sausage gumbo.  The service was impeccable.  I honestly was close to tears because the food and service was so exceptional.  I think I tipped the waiter about 40% and told the manager how great the service and food was.

• Thanks 1

It's a shame because we had such high hopes.  We really needed a vacation and I was more stressed when I debarked than when I got on.

We did enjoy the excursions.  The cabin was nice.  Though I knew it would be small when I booked it, It was about 5 or 6 categories up from the basic room with a PRIVATE balcony, it was smaller than I thought.

The company treated us very well beforehand through some very difficult circumstances where we previously had to cancel the day before a cruise (our TA had not followed our instructions to buy travel insurance which we always ALWAYS do)

but I am a foodie and that cruise crushed my spirit...

I am pinning my hopes on the Enchantment of the Seas this April.  It's older and not that big but hopefully we can relax and get some decent food.  

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I am pinning my hopes on the Enchantment of the Seas this April.  It's older and not that big but hopefully we can relax and get some decent food.  

Your posts have eliminated any thought about my cruising on American Queen or any of their vessels until this employment/pandemic situation is over.  When--if--Viking Cruises begin to offer cruises on American rivers, the American Queen company will need to get "their act" together or they won't survive.  

Never sailed on Enchantment of the Seas, but, I think you will experience a better culinary experience than you did on American Queen.  

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The worst experience I ever had was, surprisingly enough, onboard the QE2.  

That has been my most disappointing dining experience as well.  I have described that in several other posts elsewhere on CC, no need to rehash the situation.  

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Your posts have eliminated any thought about my cruising on American Queen or any of their vessels until this employment/pandemic situation is over.  When--if--Viking Cruises begin to offer cruises on American rivers, the American Queen company will need to get "their act" together or they won't survive.  

Never sailed on Enchantment of the Seas, but, I think you will experience a better culinary experience than you did on American Queen.  

I may give them another chance some day but as you suggest, it will be after the pandemic has greatly subsided.  that goes for any riverboat company or smaller company or smaller ships with fewer crew members.  Having 10-12 crew out of commission on a ship with 500-2000 crew shouldn't impact things as much as it does on a much smaller ship.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

More disappointing than a "disaster."

We sailed on the Delta Queen from New Orleans over Thanksgiving week years ago. There was a lecturer on board from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries who did a lecture on the types of fish consumed in Louisiana. It was a VERY interesting lecture but less than a dozen passengers attended. I like to go fishing....so I attended. He noted that they have five species of Catfish in the state and that many people think of Catfish as having a "muddy" taste. He said that issue generally only exists with Yellow Catfish. That day at lunch they had a Catfish Fry which most of us ordered. My fish was VERY MUDDY TASTING!!!! I asked the waiter to check with the chef as to what type of Catfish we were eating. Yep......it was Yellow Cat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 7:06 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Everyone who cruises eventually experiences a dining disaster.  Here is your opportunity to recount some funny and some not so funny stories.

On a cruise several years ago after completing my dinner meal in the MDR 

I became quite ill necesssitating a visit to the infirmary.The doctor had a dark bottle of some kind of liquid that was not labeled.He told me to take a teaspoon every three hours and I would be fine .Normally I do not take anything without knowing what it was but I was so sick that I took it.After 2 doses I was fine.