New to Regent

BNguy

Ok, I can see some of you saying, not another new person.  Sorry to say but yes, we are.  My wife and I are scheduled for the Nov. 9th, 2022 crossing from Rome to Miami on Regent's Splendor, and are really looking forward to it.  To say I have questions is putting it mildly but I will try and temper them at the moment.  I've been reading through the many posts here trying to gain enough information but I don't always find what I'm looking for, so here goes.

1.  Is there a list of the spirits you can order for your room or do you just put down what you want and if they have it, it appears?

2.  I've looked at the sample menu on Regent's site for the Compass Rose, is it really that extensive?  If so, are there specials?

3.  How's the internet speeds, I do realize shipboard internet speed is likely slow but does anyone have first hand experience to share?

4.  Finally, I'm almost afraid to admit this, we are in a named suite and from the few pictures I've seen there appears to be only ONE lounger on the veranda, is that really the case or can you get another one if you ask?  (Not one of the top named suites)

Anyhow, I hope I've offended no one here by these questions, but if I don't ask, how can I find out?  We are not first-time cruisers but first-time luxury cruisers.  Thanks for understanding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Generally, they will give you want you want.

2. Yes and yes.

3. Internet is horrific. I have 400+ nights and I live on the internet.

4. They will bring you pretty much whatever you ask for...certainly another recliner.

It really is an amazing experience.

You have selected my favorite cruise lines new and my favorite ship!

Compass Rose menu has huge selections every night. Left side is always available and right side changes every evening. 
Pacific Rim (my personal favorite) has fabulous Asian created dishes.. most are great. 
Prime 7 is a great steakhouse and includes whole lobster and crab.

Chartreuse is modern French, some dishes are really good. 
Seti Mara is casual Italian. 

If you are in a penthouse suite or higher, before you depart, you can select your liquor on Regent website. It also includes requests from bedding through newspapers. 
If you have already booked, create your account on the Regent website. You can make suite selections, shore excursions, dining reservations at home. 
Once onboard, your butler can handle everything, including changes, for you 
Ask your TA or a Regent representative about it....

You will love your journey. Enjoy.....

sheila

We have recently booked our first cruise as well, except on the Mariner. On the website, create an account for yourself and sign in. There is a place to book your shore excursions. Underneath that is a place to preorder some alcohol as well as mixers and juices. 

I see now the poster above me has already answered this. 🙂

Edited by Pudgesmom

BNguy:

The following illustrates Regent's attention to detail (which I have related on other CC Threads over the years) and going that extra kilometer or mile to meet, and exceed passenger expectations.  As the current COVID situation has resulted in cancelation to date of four Regent cruises, have time for musing and recollection of past positive experiences when aboard all Regent's ships (except Splendor--see below).  

Several years ago, specific year now lost in the mist of time, was aboard Voyager in Australian waters.  Asked for a Singapore Sling pre-dinner cocktail.  Noted it did not taste the same as I had experienced earlier when at the famous Raffles' Hotel Bar, Singapore.  First occasion was in 1969 when on "Rest and Relaxation" Leave from Vietnam; the second in 1980 incident to staying at a nearby hotel while conducting an international Mail Fraud/money laundering criminal investigation as a Postal Inspector.  BTW:  cost in those days for this exotic drink was around the Princely sum of $4.00 US Dollars. 

One does not forget that particular taste.   I obtained that recipe' from the Raffles Barkeep.  Tried to emulate as my own bartender back home.  Not the same, but close enuf'  So, I asked the Voyager bartender for a list of ingredients.  What was missing was:  Sloe Gin.   O.K.  In the context of First World concerns, no big 'wuff.  (Apologies to Mike Meyers' SNL character.)   Did not mention that omission at the time;

but did make a comment on the End of Cruise Questionnaire.   

Next year, upon  boarding another Regent ship in the 'Med--there in our suite was a bottle of Dekuyper Sloe Gin accompanied by a Note from the Food and Beverage Manager to leave that bottle with the Observation Lounge bartender.  It would follow me around the ship at any venue should I order a Sling.  Yes, it did. 

Of course, my Mid and End of Cruise Evaluations recognized this level of attention.  Have never been left-wanting for a proper 'Sling on numerous subsequent Regent cruises.  BTW:  our most-recent visit to Singapore was in 2014 a part of a post-Regent cruise stay.  Back to Raffles.  That visit required a reservation to get past the front door, and to the completely changed Bar.  As best-recalled, a Sling went for around $28.00 US.  (Before the tip.)  

As to Splendor:  Our 50th Wedding Anniversary cruise set to sail on March 14th from San Diego aboard Splendor was canceled on the 13th while we were at the Regent hotel.  Back to Seattle on the 14th for virtual stay-at-home which continues.   Hope for a late 2022 or early 2023 Splendor cruise.  

Stay safe.  Can almost-guarantee you will enjoy any Regent cruise on any Regent ship.    

GOARMY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks,

Thank you very much for your insights and answers, they are greatly appreciated and will be put to good use.  Now the hardest part, as it is for every cruise, is the waiting game.  Hope you all stay well and maybe I will see you on a cruise.

Most of your questions have been answered, but just to add a couple of details from our experience:

15 hours ago, BNguy said:

Is there a list of the spirits you can order for your room or do you just put down what you want and if they have it, it appears?

Here is a typical list of spirits, available to pre-order for those in PH & above,  in case you haven't found it yet:

fullsizeoutput_495.thumb.jpeg.7dbb46175469544cdd5b602303a10060.jpeg

If you have a specific favourite tipple not listed then contact the Regent office well in advance of your cruise. 

When you board, if you have changed your mind or have other requests simply ask your Butler.

(For those in suites without a Butler, simply ask your steward for the spirits, mixers, beers etc that you require when you board the ship)

16 hours ago, BNguy said:

How's the internet speeds

Sometimes OK, but mostly patchy & unreliable ☹️ 

I am sure you will enjoy your Regent experience.

You will find the officers, staff & crew on board to be very friendly & efficient. If there is anything not to your liking, or lacking in your enjoyment, then bring it to their attention immediately and they will go out of their way to fix it 😀  ....................... apart from the Wi-Fi 🤨 

• Thanks 1

Sheila:  

Ah yes--the "Bagels and Lox in the Locks (Panama) Bash"!  You would have to remind me.  A separate Splendor CC Thread on this aspect of the canceled March 14th San Diego to Miami segment will provide context should any care to dredge it up.  Actually, had made arrangements with Cruise Director (CD) John Barron (beginning during a meeting with him aboard Explorer in September, 2019) to have an "informal" set-up of bagels with all the fixings available during transit through the Locks.  John would have been our CD on that cruise.  He had planned to promote the "event" as available to all guests.  Knowing John--it would have been fun.  

Anyway--another great idea dashed by reality.

GOARMY!

12 minutes ago, docmark said:

I assume we can ask for wine instead of "hard liquor"!!

Certainly you may request wine instead of, or in addition to, spirits.

Regent normally stock a good selection of included wines, with further premium options available at extra cost.

However wine lists are difficult to obtain in advance of the cruise, particularly for the included wines.

If you trawl through previous threads on this board you may find posts giving examples of the wine varieties you may expect to be stocked during your cruise. 

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

Sheila:  

Ah yes--the "Bagels and Lox in the Locks (Panama) Bash"!  You would have to remind me.  A separate Splendor CC Thread on this aspect of the canceled March 14th San Diego to Miami segment will provide context should any care to dredge it up.  Actually, had made arrangements with Cruise Director (CD) John Barron (beginning during a meeting with him aboard Explorer in September, 2019) to have an "informal" set-up of bagels with all the fixings available during transit through the Locks.  John would have been our CD on that cruise.  He had planned to promote the "event" as available to all guests.  Knowing John--it would have been fun.  

Anyway--another great idea dashed by reality.

GOARMY!

i have booked the next Panama Canal cruise on Splendor for 1/5/2023. 
come join us.....

sheila

More thank you's to all who have jumped in to offer advice.  Flossie009 gets a special thanks for providing the list I was wondering about, it's very helpful.  While I'd love to join all the cruises, at the moment, I'm focused on just the one we will take in 2022, hopefully sans mask and social distancing!

Thanks again everyone for all the information.

As you see everything is a yes---beside that you'll have a great time.  The higher the named suite the more extras you'll get.  Remember if you don't ask you'll never no what you can get---we say as long as your reasonable and respect the crew--you'll really have a great time.

Why would anyone want to drink  in their suite is beyond me. With so many beautiful bars and lounges to go to ! The red wines that are complimentary are not good. We are accustomed to drinking good wine and find those to be awful. I usually need to have the food and beverage director go and find me something that is drinkable. The house champagne is ok...not great. FYI: Most of the red wines are under $15 retail that are complimentary. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Why would anyone want to drink  in their suite is beyond me. With so many beautiful bars and lounges to go to ! The red wines that are complimentary are not good. We are accustomed to drinking good wine and find those to be awful. I usually need to have the food and beverage director go and find me something that is drinkable. The house champagne is ok...not great. FYI: Most of the red wines are under $15 retail that are complimentary. 

Thanks mrstanley for your comments. My wife is an avid red wine drinker, and sometimes late in evening likes to watch some TV and have a (full!!) glass of wine

Disappointed to hear about the quality, will plan to bring a few GOOD bottles on board, which we have done on many cruises. 

3 hours ago, docmark said:

Disappointed to hear about the quality, will plan to bring a few GOOD bottles on board, which we have done on many cruises. 

We have found many of Regent's complementary wines (red, white & rosé) to be perfectly acceptable. If none of them suits your taste then you can move onto the premium selections at extra cost (on board credit may be used).

If you have a requirement for a specific wine variety then speak to the Regent office a few months in advance of your cruise to see if they can arrange for it to be available.

As others have said we always find it convenient to have a bottle of wine in our suite - in our case white; either a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or a Sancerre 

Piggybacking on flossie009's message as to wine selection--

I am not going down a rabbit hole of debating the finer points of certain "house" wine offerings, EXCEPT:  based on previous, numerous experiences throughout the fleet (see Post 7, above), we have never had a problem of obtaining the proper white, or red wine meeting our particular taste buds.  And, these have not incurred any additional charge.  

One example:  my wife has a, shall I say,  more refined requirements in this regard than I.  She has never been reticent in asking for a second, or third choice of the red initially offered at either lunch, or dinner.  Specifics:  aboard Explorer in 2017.  Wife tasted the initial red at dinner.  No.   Asked the steward for a second option.  Tasted that.  No, not quite.  No problem.  Steward returned with a third option, an Oregon Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir.  BINGO.  That became her first choice throughout the cruise.  

And, of course, that word was passed to servers throughout the ship.  At any venue, whether Pool Grill, Compass Rose, or a specialty restaurant, the wine presenter always inquired first if my wife would like the Blosser.  This is another example of Regent's attention to detail.  

Upon return home, costed-out that product at Total Wines, a volume distributor in the Seattle-Redmond metro area offering about 5,000 wine selections.  Could now be 10,000.  Whatever.  If Total does not have a particular product in stock, it will be ordered.  Total orders in bulk, and delivers product well below retail.  So--Oregon Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir was priced in the area of $45-47.00 US per bottle, depending on year.  

On special occasions, this has become our "house red".  

On Regent--not a penny extra.  Bottom line:  ask for something reasonable, in a reasonable manner, and the answer will be:  "Of course, sir or madam."

GOARMY!

• Like 4

Yes the bars on all the Regents ships are beautiful,  but DH and I do like to have a drink in our suite while getting ready for dinner.  Or a nice cold beer while cleaning up from an excursion.  We never are in a suite where you can put in a request through the web.  But, I will call Regents a couple of months before we sail and make a request for what we want in our suite. What beer, soda, wine and I get an after dinner brandy for when we return to our suite and get ready to call it a night.

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

Yes the bars on all the Regents ships are beautiful,  but DH and I do like to have a drink in our suite while getting ready for dinner.  Or a nice cold beer while cleaning up from an excursion.  We never are in a suite where you can put in a request through the web.  But, I will call Regents a couple of months before we sail and make a request for what we want in our suite. What beer, soda, wine and I get an after dinner brandy for when we return to our suite and get ready to call it a night.

Ah, this is good to know.  We are booked on our first Regent's cruise (a transatlantic way off in April 2023, on Voyager, but still).  We are not drinkers, really (an occasional champagne, but other than that, meh), and are booked in a regular suite.  Still, it's good to know we can let them know what sodas and water we are going to want in our suite.  For us, it's the little things, like not having to worry about having water at our bedside at night.

Our last cruise, 2019, Regents had deployed a water system, to try to reduce plastic.  So you will have distilled bottled water in your room.  You can ask for a certain brand of water.  They had plastic water bottles at the gangway as you got off the ship.  And definitely ask for the soft drink you would like.  Give them a couple months so if they don't normally have it, they will try to get it for you for sure.

• Like 2