Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

At the moment, P&O have extended their pause in cruises to 24th April 2021. My cruise on Britannia is supposed to be sailing on 25th April. part of me whnts them to cancel, but the other part of me still wants it to go ahead. My problem at the moment, is that I really don't want to book and pay for travel insurance, car parking or 'Forced' excursions. Basically, because I don't know whether I would get any money back from all of these if the cruise gets cancelled. I would also prefer to be able to do my own thing when docking in the various ports. Clearly this is not possible at the moment with all the retrictions in the various countries. My question to everyone is:

Does P&O announce extensions to the pause in cruises at a certain time in each month or is it just a case of wait and see?

2 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

At the moment, P&O have extended their pause in cruises to 24th April 2021. My cruise on Britannia is supposed to be sailing on 25th April. part of me whnts them to cancel, but the other part of me still wants it to go ahead. My problem at the moment, is that I really don't want to book and pay for travel insurance, car parking or 'Forced' excursions. Basically, because I don't know whether I would get any money back from all of these if the cruise gets cancelled. I would also prefer to be able to do my own thing when docking in the various ports. Clearly this is not possible at the moment with all the retrictions in the various countries. My question to everyone is:

Does P&O announce extensions to the pause in cruises at a certain time in each month or is it just a case of wait and see?

On the basis that they now seem to be cancelling just before balance payment is due, then I imagine it might be w/c 15th January.

I’m of the opinion that P&O leave cancellations as long as possible.

My 6th March cruise was cancelled on 26th November, 10 days before the final payment due date. Therefore I’m not expecting any further cancellations until mid January.

I think further cancellations are inevitable. There’ll likely be a post Christmas increase in infections by mid January, so a cruise start up will not be looking favourite 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My 6th March cruise was cancelled on 26th November, 10 days before the final payment due date. Therefore I’m not expecting any further cancellations until mid January.

I think further cancellations are inevitable. There’ll likely be a post Christmas increase in infections by mid January, so a cruise start up will not be looking favourite 

Our Iona B2B's were cancelled after final payment...  More FCC towards our Arcadia 2022 cruise.

See cunard have cancelled till end of May and 4th of June. Think its Victoria still sailing mid May round british Isles and I'm sure I saw a note that p and o also to cancel upto 15th May although not on the Web site I cant find it at the moment on the p and o bit but cunard is on their site 

On 12/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

As P&O is something like 98% British travelers it is easier to restart successfully as you only have to deal with one group of rules from Britain.

If you restart Cunard, do you favour Brits, Americans, Germans... all of whom have different rules.

It makes sense to prioritise P&O out of the two.... but that means decisions are made later.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Now, I know the following does not relate directly to P&O but thought you might find it interesting.

Fred Olsen cruises has today announced revised resumption of cruising dates:

Borealis: 23rd April

Bolette: 29th May

Balmoral: 9th June

Braemar, which was due to sail Mediterranean itineraries and fly-cruise Caribbean, will not resume service until Spring 2022.

As I say, not P&O but food for thought...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Now, I know the following does not relate directly to P&O but thought you might find it interesting.

Braemar, which was due to sail Mediterranean itineraries and fly-cruise Caribbean, will not resume service until Spring 2022.

And "Moley" was being very cryptic earlier on today, about P&O pushing for business before January!

30 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Ouch for Braemar.  That will be two years out of action.

• Like 1

Note that they are not looking to do their fly summer cruise.

There are a few interesting rumours floating around at present. One is that Arcadia and Aurora will be laid up until Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec re-entering in time for Christmas and long cruises in early 2022. A further rumour is that Azura will cover some of their cruises with the med fly-season being axed. We know its easier to run the bigger ships as they have more space for distancing.

If any of this is true then its likely the reason nothing has been announced is because there are complex negotiations going on to free themselves from contracts with companies such as Jet2 and Tui who provide the fly-cruise season.

Like I say... THEY ARE RUMOURS not concrete by any stretch.

I believe every intention is run the Caribbean season from October onwards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There are a few interesting rumours floating around at present. One is that Arcadia and Aurora will be laid up until Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec re-entering in time for Christmas and long cruises in early 2022. A further rumour is that Azura will cover some of their cruises with the med fly-season being axed. We know its easier to run the bigger ships as they have more space for distancing.

If any of this is true then its likely the reason nothing has been announced is because there are complex negotiations going on to free themselves from contracts with companies such as Jet2 and Tui who provide the fly-cruise season.

Heartbroken. Our wedding is not looking good then. 

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’m not sure if it’s been asked before but are P&O  going to insist on pax having the vaccine before being allowed to travel 

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I would be hugely disappointed if our Aurora cruise to Norway on August 5th is cancelled although if it was transferred to Azura, I wouldn’t have a problem. I would expect a reduction in cost though as Aurora cruises seem to carry a ‘small adult only ship, premium.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Another big ouch.  Oh dear.  Feel sorry for those booked for Aurora & Arcadia next year, if those cruises are eventually cancelled.

Would include us (again).  Making six gone in total.

I would assume in such case too that Britannia and Ventura would be in the running too as an alternative to some of Arcadia's Med itineraries (i.e. possibly some reallocation of a different holiday offer). 

There won't be enough cruises left to use a FCC on at this rate!

I do wonder why, so as to keep Azura going as planned and avoid displacing her passengers, a cull doesn't instead takes place on Aurora and Arcadia passenger lists to achieve the social distancing requirement.  The route suggested would appear to risk valuable real income, mainly from the loyal base; risky.  It will be commercial/practical I suppose.

Appreciate that this is rumour only.

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Heartbroken. Our wedding is not looking good then. 

Please do wait for something more concrete. There are lots of rumours - some which can be easilly dismissed - some which seem to have more logic behind them. Either way, the P&O weddings team are one of the best in Carnival UK and they will look after you.

Also, things are rapidly evolving at present, so plans may already have changed for the postivie.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

A bit of confusion here.  Fred is being pretty obtuse as to what he has actually cancelled, citing difficulties with fly cruises, but Braemar was always scheduled to sail out of Southampton from 1st April to 7th December.  The sailings during that long Southampton season were a standard mixed bunch to different areas, going both north and south and included  lot of shortish ones along with a couple of longer ones (25 and 27 nights).  They were certainly not all Mediterranean ones and none were fly cruises.  The Caribbean fly-cruise season has been cancelled which does not surprise me, but I am surprised they were cancelled quite so soon.

This does make me fear for smaller ships from any cruise line.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

I’m not sure if it’s been asked before but are P&O  going to insist on pax having the vaccine before being allowed to travel 

Makes absolutely no difference at all at the moment. Vaccines mean nothing when half the population won't have the vaccine next year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

I would be hugely disappointed if our Aurora cruise to Norway on August 5th is cancelled although if it was transferred to Azura, I wouldn’t have a problem. I would expect a reduction in cost though as Aurora cruises seem to carry a ‘small adult only ship, premium.

In the current situation, I would be pleased just to be on a cruise, rather than worrying about compensation!

• Like 1