Dress code Silver Cloud

alolewis

First time on Silversea. Tried searching the forum but can't find the information.  Is the dress code on the Silver Cloud different than the other ships?  Silversea website only has the one dress code.   Our voyage is August 8, 2021, Kangerlussuaq to Kangerlussuaq, 14 days Greenland and Canada. Any information on what to pack clothes wise would be helpful and appreciate.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, alolewis said:

First time on Silversea. Tried searching the forum but can't find the information.  Is the dress code on the Silver Cloud different than the other ships?  Silversea website only has the one dress code.   Our voyage is August 8, 2021, Kangerlussuaq to Kangerlussuaq, 14 days Greenland and Canada. Any information on what to pack clothes wise would be helpful and appreciate.  Thanks!

We are also on this trip, having been on the Cloud in 2018 for the Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq trip (which was fantastic!).  There are no formal nights. I think my husband may have packed a suit jacket for dinner, but not a suit and I do not believe he ever wore a tie (but may have brought one just in case). AND he did not wear the jacket very often, generally a nice shirt and slacks as he would to work.  As it is an expedition cruise, we found it more casual than we expected, but still "nice".  We saw men in suits at dinner, but not many. Women wore nice dresses or slacks/tops (as one would to a nice restaurant); lunch is more casual.  We DID have one night that was a bit dressy, but I had a pretty cardigan jacket that looked "dressy" but not formal with dark slacks.  We quite enjoy Silversea and sincerely hope this cruise "goes".  There IS a "fancy" restaurant that has a fee, but we never ate there.  We did enjoy the Grille for dinner; this is at the outside bar area and you cook your own entree on an extremely hot lava slab. Something different and no fee; one does have to bundle but the area is under cover so that helps. Anyway, let us keep hoping that we get to go!!!

Smoky Angus

On 1/12/2021 at 2:51 AM, alolewis said:

Our voyage is August 8, 2021, Kangerlussuaq to Kangerlussuaq, 14 days Greenland and Canada. Any information on what to pack clothes wise would be helpful and appreciate.  Thanks!

No need to pack anything as that cruise won't happen.  As per jollyjones above, Canada has banned all cruise ships until February 2022 and Greenland has such a perilous population I can't see them welcoming ships either.   Frankly I can't see any meaningful cruising resuming anywhere until deep into 2022.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

alolewis I am booked on that cruise too. I think we will both be drinking wine at home. I moved this trip from last year to this year thinking "what go wrong in 2021." I am waiting for Silversea to contact me with options. Unfortunately, I have 3 trips planned next year, so this won't fit into 2022. 

On 2/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, jollyjones said:

Don’t forget that Canada has banned all cruise ships till February 2022, so keep a close eye on your cruise, it’s going to change. 

If they could do 14 days just in Greenland, that would probably be pretty spectacular! Not many ports to visit, but some great scenery, I'd think.

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If they could do 14 days just in Greenland, that would probably be pretty spectacular! Not many ports to visit, but some great scenery, I'd think.

Yes, the scenery is majestic but the towns were a real eye-opener.  This was real living-on-the-edge stuff, with obvious poverty, kids with various illnesses and often no teeth, smoking everywhere, and these near-derelict commie-style apartment blocks.  An incredible place to visit.

IMG_7605.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

@Fletcher Yes, the capital of Nuuk had some depressing-looking residences and was not an impressive capital city to visit. But we found visiting some of the small towns, like Nanortalik, interesting to see the lifestyle in these rugged small villages. 

silversea-arctic-cruise-nanortalik-greenland.thumb.jpg.7be77cf05a6cc2ba086086dd65e039a2.jpg

But the main reason for visiting Greenland, at least for us, was the spectacular scenery. When we disembarked in Kangerlussuaq, I wished we had another week to see more of Greenland's west coast.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, jollyjones said:

Don’t forget that Canada has banned all cruise ships till February 2022, so keep a close eye on your cruise, it’s going to change. 

At this point, they haven't officially cancelled Canada cruise itineraries. The majority of cruise lines are trying to work with Canada to allow cruise ships to dock.