The Daily for Tuesday Jan 12, 2021

richwmn

today is National Shop for Travel Day, National Hot Tea Day, and National Pharmacist Day

"I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it."

Meal suggestion for today - Chorizo Pumpkin Pasta

Drink of the Day - Tommy's Margarita

Wine of the day - Errazuriz Pinot Noir - Chile - Red vintage

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0112Tor.thumb.png.0630ac996d53c369066acd3b9746bc08.png

0112West.thumb.png.b61601bd36edac668fe58b49996f8a5f.png

0112East.thumb.png.7d5e9fc72160d58bb87a1ec1878664b5.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

This is timing.  I literally just got out of bed less than 10 minutes ago.  I'll drink tea on ships but don't usually at home, and have done a lot of travel shopping.  Cheers to our pharmacists, they have been doing most of my vaccinations recently.  I resemble that quote more and more.  Interesting meal suggestion.  My alternative is Watermelon Cocktail, Chef Rudi's Classic Southern Fried Chicken, and Cherry Crisp, as served on MS Prinsendam January 12, 2019.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

Himself test results

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Capitor Police officer Eugene Goodman

Surfcitygirl’s first photo post

a family cruise planned for Dismomx5

Jab appointments for Suslor

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

I’m up early getting ready to go over to get my first vaccination.  Unfortunately, the internet and TV cable are having a little trouble this morning so I hope posting goes well this morning.

January 12, 2017 Disembarkation Day in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Arrival in the early morning. enhance

I very reluctantly walked off the ship that morning because I would have liked to stay forever.  They had other ideas so we went out to the tour bus because we had booked an excursion transfer to have something to do all morning before we were dropped off at the airport.  Most flights to North America leave in the late evening hours so it’s a real bummer to loiter there all day.  Even just all afternoon is no fun.  There are not a lot of places to sit in the airport before the airline desks open for your flight.  The crowds are ridiculous, too.

I normally despise bus tours because I want to see things without bus windows between me and the places we are touring.  All the pictures turn out terrible.  But we only had 2 or 3 choices and this was the one that lasted the longest, therefore less time standing around at the airport until the 9:15 pm flight. 

So we drove all around Buenos Aires being shown the biggest attractions.  After that we made a stop at the Recoleta Cemetery.  It’s huge and has many interesting mausoleums.  We were told you have to pay taxes on those mausoleums and after you die your family has to continue to pay the taxes forever or they will sell your grave site right out from under you, literally.  Some were well kept, but many had broken windows in the doors, or locks broken.  We were taken by the mausoleum of Eva Peron who is in her family vault (Duarte).  So many people want to see it they made us promise not to lag behind and stop the line, only spending 10-15 seconds to get a

picture.  enhance

enhance

enhance

Some mausoleums were beautiful and some were just plain weird.enhance

Continuing on in the tour bus, the Teatro Colon is one of the best opera houses in the world.  enhance

Then we drove by the BOCA Juniors football team stadium.  enhance

enhance

We drove to the La Boca neighborhood and were allowed to shop in some gift shops for about 20 minutes.  It’s an area of historic houses and buildings painted vivid colors.  enhance

At that point it was midday and we stopped at a famous coffeehouse named Café Tortoni for a “snack”.  It was a favorite meeting place for artists and scholars.enhance

There were a lot of tables not being used at that time.  Coffeehouses must have different busy times than restaurants.  enhance

I remember they brought us a bottle of Pepsi and two wine glasses to drink it.  Then a small plate with a few sandwiches made of crustless white bread and I’m not sure what.  I wish I could remember.  It must not have been very memorable.  By then it was time to drop us all off at the airport at 1 pm.   So much fun hanging out doing nothing and waiting for the airline employees to begin service at around 5 pm.  Then by the time your plane takes off and you fly all night to North America, you feel like a limp dishrag by the time you arrive home.  Flying to and from the cruise is the worst part of the whole cruising experience. 

Thankfully, the cruise was excellent and if we have to fly to do it, so be it.  We highly recommend seeing Antarctica as well as South Georgia Island. 

• Like 26

Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily. It is Tuesday night here and we are just off to bed, having had a cup of hot tea. Mine was caffeine free green tea and DH had ordinary tea with milk. National Hot Tea Day is every day in this house. Many hours are spent dreaming about shopping for travel. Maybe later this year. 
Reading the Daily every day certainly cheers me up, so thanks to everyone who contributes.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily. 

I'm here with my mug of hot English Breakfast tea.🙂 I send a big thank you to our pharmacist.

Great quote, as usual.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, we're having meatloaf.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

@StLouisCruisersphoto tour of BA brought back a favorite memory!

We spent a few days in BA before joining our mid-Febriary ‘Round the Horn cruise several (many?) years ago.  DH’s birthday is the 13th, and of course Valentine’s, so lots of celebrations.  We had a wonderful tour of Teatro Colon on the 13th.  The bowels of the building were alive with the bustle of business and rehearsals.  Suddenly the most beautiful rendition of happy birthday could be heard as members of the chorus celebrated.  I gave DH a peck on the cheek, and said “I planned all this just for you!”

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning, or good evening Daisybertie.  Happy Tuesday. 

Spend most days shopping for travel.  Used to be a hot tea drinker, but not so much anymore.  And, like everyone else, love our Pharmacist.  Some days I wish I knew where I left my mind. 

Will pass on the meal, having Pizza tonight.

Prayers for all of us, including both lists.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tommy's Margarita:

Ingredients
2 ounces blanco tequila
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce agave nectar
Garnish: salt rim
Steps
Rim a rocks glass with salt and set it aside.
Add the tequila, lime juice and agave nectar into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain over fresh ice into the prepared glass.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.59.37 AM.png

• Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Guess I was a day early as I shopped for my travel yesterday 🙂.  A good cup of tea is always appreciated as are our pharmacists.  👍 

LOL on that quote - I find I am saying that to myself more and more.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but DH would love the chorizo.  I still have some in the fridge so I might concoct something for him with it.

thanks for the drink description, summer.  That’s an interesting one. 

It’s going to be a long morning I think sitting and waiting at the vet’s. I have a feeling I am going to need a kind word or two later on:

B028034A-8797-45EA-93B0-0582393D2C97.jpeg.fc752821e44d2bb1a20ddce73700ddf2.jpeg

I know my doctor would not approve though and I’ll listen to her advice 😉 

F55A2C86-0B60-410E-8F26-C574942993C0.thumb.png.31bf2c123bb766e72c4dc0bdf2cfc268.png

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 20

48 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@StLouisCruisersphoto tour of BA brought back a favorite memory!

We spent a few days in BA before joining our mid-Febriary ‘Round the Horn cruise several (many?) years ago.  DH’s birthday is the 13th, and of course Valentine’s, so lots of celebrations.  We had a wonderful tour of Teatro Colon on the 13th.  The bowels of the building were alive with the bustle of business and rehearsals.  Suddenly the most beautiful rendition of happy birthday could be heard as members of the chorus celebrated.  I gave DH a peck on the cheek, and said “I planned all this just for you!”

What a nice travel memory!  It's what we live on now.  But there's hope for the future!

• Like 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days. The first is right up the Dailyites alley. I bet pharmacists are exhausted from fielding all the “Do you have the vaccine?” questions.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! My friends and I toasted Officer Goodman last night.  @kazu& @StLouisCruiserskeeping you in my thoughts. Hope everything goes well for both of you. Please let us know. Hello all Dailyites & my Sisters no matter what time of day it is for you. 

Scallops & zoodles for me tonight. Summer - who is Tommy & how did he get a margarita named after him?  Oooh - and my Bindi has a boyfriend! He is a 14 pound chihuahua named Rambo. Now you need to know that Bindi is a 37 pound Corgi/Australian Cattle Dog mix. Get the visual? I will leave you with that....

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This Chilean wine has a “crunchy core”🤔. Be sure to look for Max Reserva version of this wine, since there are several variations and not all are created equal. Every released vintage of this wine has ratings in the low 90s. Online price starting around $17.99 for the 2017 vintage.

Winemaker Notes:

Beautiful cherry red color. Aromas of cherries, raspberries, and rose hips are complemented, with soft touches of tobacco and earthy notes. On the palate, the wine is juicy, predominated by red fruit character and is accompanied by delicate balsamic notes. A wine of great balance, structure, elegant tannins, and length.

JS92 James Suckling: Hibiscus, bright violets, blueberry tea, Chinese spices and herbs. Medium body, tight yet never firm tannins that frame a crunchy core of blue fruit up to a minerally, super-refined finish. Drink now.

• Like 17

The Tommy’s Margarita (famed house version from the eponymous restaurant on Geary Street in San Francisco), substituting agave nectar for orange liqueur, accomplishes a rare feat: The variation actually moves the drink to a more foundational archetype. It doubles down on the power of agave and has captured the affection of a generation of bartenders who now mix this exciting potion as their go-to recipe every time a guest orders this standard.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Roy:  Thank you for the DAILY.  It is good to know where the fleet is hiding on this rlong pause that was supposed to last 30 days.  Roy's meal suggestion is most appealing. I hope to get the covid tr]est results today. Thanks to all those who posted or will be posting.  I will be back later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

The Tommy’s Margarita (famed house version from the eponymous restaurant on Geary Street in San Francisco), substituting agave nectar for orange liqueur, accomplishes a rare feat: The variation actually moves the drink to a more foundational archetype. It doubles down on the power of agave and has captured the affection of a generation of bartenders who now mix this exciting potion as their go-to recipe every time a guest orders this standard.

Thank you, Rich! Now we just need to come up with our own cocktail.

• Like 7

Today's sunrise is from the Cunard transatlantic prelude to my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise.  On January 12 the return transatlantic on Queen Victoria had started and it was the middle sea day of the segment from Southampton to Puerto Delgada:

dawn0112.jpg

Since I slept late this morning I did not delay the lists to find the photo that went with my alternate meal selection of Watermelon Cocktail, Chef Rudi's Classic Southern Fried Chicken, and Cherry Crisp:

dishes0112.jpg

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Since the lockdown, we've been drinking tea in the morning; I'm not sure what started it, but it's quite nice.  We have the occasional coffee during the day (or from a Tim's run), but it isn't our standard morning beverage any longer.  Oh my gosh, it seems I shop for travel every day, mostly online!  Bless the pharmacists and all they do.

Should be an interesting day weather-wise here on the "frozen tundra", as there is an Alberta Clipper expected to blow through, bringing temperatures up to +2C, which is most unusual in January!  The wind gusts are reported to be as high as 100K (60mph), so I think we'll do a quick grocery run, then stay home and batten down the hatches!

Great menu suggestion, and I love Roy's as well - one of my faves was the buttermilk fried chicken HAL used to serve only on embarkation day, but that, too, is a thing of the past.  I froze the leftovers from last night's baked spaghetti, and found beef stew while in the "ice cave", so that's what'll be gracing our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink our wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list; we'll also have an extra clink "for the United States", for good measure.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14