The Daily for Tuesday Jan 12, 2021

richwmn

We in Ontario just got the news that we will be under further restrictions. Limit of 5 at outdoor gatherings, go out only for dr appointments, groceries or other essential supplies. Schools will remain on online learning until at least feb 10. There may be more restrictions but that is all I have gleaned so far. These are in addition to the lockdown restrictions we are currently under in any case, limiting indoor to your own household, restaurants take out only, stores other than grocery limited to curb side pickup, etc. No word yet on when we can get a vaccine. Long term care residents and workers are the current focus. 

just saw that the premier declared a state of emergency, our second one during this pandemic.

Edited by superoma
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, and many thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.

Jacqui, @kazu, so sorry about Master Marley (Mister Marley now, I think)..  The nose is such a sensitive spot - hope all goes well on Thursday.  I'll be thinking of him.

We are off in a little while to bottle some wine - pinot grigio, I think.  We might have to order some red, too, we usually make a nice blend of Cab Sauvignon, Carmenere and Merlot, or else just get some of the red wines on sale at Everything Wine to try.  They seem to have a few interesting blends.

@VMax1700, we were on that cruise, too, with @sailingdutchy and the Mrs.   I don't think there was a CC M&G, but we might have seen you around the ship!   We had a blast, we had been on board for the previous 11 days with our daughter and her boyfriend, and had a very pleasant time, but the party started when Tony and Martha boarded.  😃

Edited to say :  Sorry, my bad - we were on Koningsdam in 2019, not last year.  I keep forgetting this is 2021...

Ann

Could you let us know what you mean by bottling wine?  Do you buy different wines and blend them yourself?  I have been making my own beer for years with a Cooper's beer brewing kit.  Recently my DD sent me a wine making kit with some recipes, but I haven't tried it yet.  The simplest seems to be to start with fresh apple juice and make cider with it.  However, I am not familiar with blending different wines to make your own blend.

Spent most of this morning checking in on the HAL website for our next three cruises.

• Like 6

Well good morning again, All!

Guess what: I am unable to get in to my CC account on my Windows machine, AGAIN.

So while I am here, I will post for today about my 2013 Antarctica cruise, and then try a bit more troubleshooting. 

January 12, 2013

Having grabbed a raisin roll and a cup of coffee I was on deck early for the sail in to Puerto Montt. Several members of our Roll Call had set up 2 shore excursions that would take us on all day trips to Orsuno Volcano and the Lake District. My journal records Veendam dancing in the breeze at dawn with the Andes silhouetted to our east.

DSC_0039.thumb.JPG.6c276f174d53feb24b7811651013e74c.JPG

One of the concerns we had discussed amongst ourselves was getting tender tickets together in light of the newer star system and priorities. So we got into line early, and while we waited, Captain came on the PA and announced that our day in Puerto Montt was called off due to gathering winds. They had set the anchor, but the waves by now had created a field of whitecaps and it was just too dangerous. There were some pax who missed sail away due to flight delays and a comedian who were to meet the ship in Puerto Montt, so we were going to try to get them aboard. To protect the operation, the ship was turned and held by the engines to create a temporary lee. They could only do this for a short period of time as it created a great strain on the engines. So the pilot boats made several trips to ferry the pax and their luggage aboard. So once everyone was safely aboard Captain took us scenic cruising on a very beautiful and bouncy day. 

DSC_0038.thumb.JPG.3c0b115e973ae8922b85b1c9a8f5bdb2.JPGIMG_0266.thumb.JPG.b1dde25879d750cbe4fb4b58b32a9f37.JPG

I talked with a couple of the pax later and they had quite the tale to tell of the ride of their lives. Reportedly the comedian had some great material for his show. 

It was amazing how fast the staff changed gears and got a new daily out along with a set of activities. One was a virtual bridge tour by the Staff Captain and one of his officers which was quite interesting. They had a number of pictures of Veendam in drydock and concluded with a Q and A session. I ended up spending the day attending new lectures, taking Windows 8 classes and working on pictures.  (Windows 8 had just been released on the world about a month prior to this cruise. In late October/early November I had an opportunity to go to the local Microsoft for prospective app developer training, so W8 was still pretty new. The Techspert we had was superb, and even was able to pass several questions to MS to clear up some questions/issues I was having.) 

Edited by TiogaCruiser2
  • Like 15

I only drink tea.  Why is that, you ask (or maybe you didn't)?  You all remember back when coffee was deemed "unhealthy", don't you?  Well, I like tea anyway, so I got rid of ALL of my coffee-making equipment (I ground my own beans).  And now?  Coffee is healthy again!  But I'm not going to invest in more coffee stuff because, as soon as I do, I'm sure that the esteemed oracles of gratuitous medical advice will decide that coffee is unhealthy again.  But hey, I still cling to the hope that some day they will reverse their opinion and decide that BACON is healthy 😃.

And, like @durangoscots, I bring my own tea on cruises.  That's because I use Harney & Sons.  I'm still debating on which is more financially beneficial to me:  Booking a Neptune as a solo and paying the darned supplement.....because Harney & Sons is available in the Neptune Lounge, but not in the Lido or MDR.... or continuing to bring my own.  I welcome opinions on this from readers of this thread 😉.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, superoma said:

We in Ontario just got the news that we will be under further restrictions. Limit of 5 at outdoor gatherings, go out only for dr appointments, groceries or other essential supplies.

We are under provincial health orders to restrict gatherings, indoors or outdoors, to immediate household members only. This started in early November for us and has been extended to February 5. Luckily DH and I enjoy each other’s company, but not socializing with anyone but your spouse for nearly three months takes its toll. As a result, a LOT of people are just ignoring the whole thing. It’s a bit of a mess here!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Our niece is having an angiogram as we speak and could use extra prayers.   She works in an assisted living facility

Extra prayers coming her way ❤️ 🙏🏻 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I'm still debating on which is more financially beneficial to me:  Booking a Neptune as a solo and paying the darned supplement.....because Harney & Sons is available in the Neptune Lounge, but not in the Lido or MDR.... or continuing to bring my own.  I welcome opinions on this from readers of this thread 😉.

I like Harney & Sons too.  When I have a Neptune, I grab a bag to take to the MDR for my after dinner tea 😉 

But, for the cost of a Neptune, you could easily bring some with you and not take up a lot of room in the suitcase unless it is a VERY long cruise.  Mind you, Neptune Suites are very nice if you can swing them.

I’ve also picked up some interesting teas in some ports.  Just bring my little bags to put the tea into.  Another though in case it is of help.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have bad news from my oldest sister who turned 80 last week.  She and two of her sons tested positive over the weekend.  One of the son's girlfriend got it first and exposed them all before any symptoms.  All are doing okay so far but they lost their senses of taste and smell.  In addition to that we are waiting for test results for my MIL in the nursing facility. 

Oh dear.  My prayers for all of them ❤️ 🙏🏻 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have bad news from my oldest sister who turned 80 last week.  She and two of her sons tested positive over the weekend.  One of the son's girlfriend got it first and exposed them all before any symptoms.  All are doing okay so far but they lost their senses of taste and smell.  In addition to that we are waiting for test results for my MIL in the nursing facility.  If you recall, she is 94 years old.  MIL had a rapid test which showed positive, then a PCR test which I don't have results on yet.  But there's a good chance she has it too.

So sorry to hear this. Prayers to all.

• Like 3

Good Afternoon, interestingly I got an offer from HAL this afternoon for a free OV on select Alaska 7 day cruises.  They range from July through September.  We have the ability to upgrade but the monies given would be non refundable if we cancel.  Asking PCC what happens if they cancel.  I’m seriously tempted to give it a try.  It would also allow us to use our airline credit from the cancelled March 2020 cruise.  

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We are under provincial health orders to restrict gatherings, indoors or outdoors, to immediate household members only. This started in early November for us and has been extended to February 5. Luckily DH and I enjoy each other’s company, but not socializing with anyone but your spouse for nearly three months takes its toll. As a result, a LOT of people are just ignoring the whole thing. It’s a bit of a mess here!

Ditto!  Can’t understand the outdoor restrictions here when school is in.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

I only drink tea.  Why is that, you ask (or maybe you didn't)?  You all remember back when coffee was deemed "unhealthy", don't you?  Well, I like tea anyway, so I got rid of ALL of my coffee-making equipment (I ground my own beans).  And now?  Coffee is healthy again!  But I'm not going to invest in more coffee stuff because, as soon as I do, I'm sure that the esteemed oracles of gratuitous medical advice will decide that coffee is unhealthy again.  But hey, I still cling to the hope that some day they will reverse their opinion and decide that BACON is healthy 😃.

And, like @durangoscots, I bring my own tea on cruises.  That's because I use Harney & Sons.  I'm still debating on which is more financially beneficial to me:  Booking a Neptune as a solo and paying the darned supplement.....because Harney & Sons is available in the Neptune Lounge, but not in the Lido or MDR.... or continuing to bring my own.  I welcome opinions on this from readers of this thread 😉.

Giggling!  I m such a tea snob!   Almost makes Cunard worth another spin, their high tea is amazing.  Or a trip to the UK or down east where they know how to make a good cuppa!  
I probably currently have well over a hundred types🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

You're a winemaker.  Very cool.

A couple years ago on an Alaska cruise, I had arranged to meet up with a couple internet wine forum acqaintances when we made the obligatory PSVA stop in Victoria.  We met in a restaurant and enjoyed an absolutely outstanding Okanagan Valley Syrah.  I have never seen a BC wine in a retail store down here in Southern California.  Not that I am disatisfied with the vast amount of wine that I can get, but I do wish I could get some. On the flip side, my Victoria friends wish they had better access to the California wines that I regularly enjoy. 

Some of the BC wines are very nice,  but hard to get outside even that province.   We had some Pinot Noirs from Vancouver island that were wonderful!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We are off in a little while to bottle some wine - pinot grigio, I think.  We might have to order some red, too, we usually make a nice blend of Cab Sauvignon, Carmenere and Merlot, or else just get some of the red wines

We bottle wine too. 🙂  Pinot grigio is our usual "house wine" and we bottle a "trilogy" of Cab Franc, Cab Sauvignon and Merlot too.

For those not in the know, in Canada, there are wine making shops that sell wine kits.  At the store we patronize, the owner looks after almost everything.  We order what we want, and 4 to 6 weeks later he calls and says "your wine is ready".  We go to the store, bottle the wine and pay.  The wine kit we buy makes 30 750ml bottles and costs about $120.  Considering the cheapest bottle of wine in our provincially regulated liquor stores is at least $8, it's a bargain.  It's not great wine, but it's good. 

• Like 7

Thanks Rich and Roy for the Daily and thanks for the shout out. I got my first Moderna shot today - one hour start to finish - with very short line. After seeing the long lines on news I was amazed at how easy it was to get appointment and vaccine. I asked the nurse if when I get my second shot would they sign my yellow immunization card and she said to bring it. They do give you a CDC card. 

love tea day. It’ my drink of choice (besides 🍷) and my favorite is A&P tea. So sorry I can’t get it anymore. Having  a cup of Lipton right now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Giggling!  I m such a tea snob!   Almost makes Cunard worth another spin, their high tea is amazing.  Or a trip to the UK or down east where they know how to make a good cuppa!  
I probably currently have well over a hundred types🤷‍♀️

The three stages of tea deprivation:

1) I’d sell my soul for a really nice, properly brewed pot of tea right now!

2) I’d sell my soul for ANY cup of tea right now!

3) Hand me that tea bag. They chew tobacco, don’t they?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2