Splendor or Navigator?

Hello Everyone! Happy New Year!

We are trying to plan our first Regent cruise for 2022. We have cruised with primarily with Celebrity (when it's the two of us), or Royal and MSC when the kids come with us... We've decided that after a year of all our vacations being cancelled and perhaps another year ahead of many of our vacations being cancelled, we should treat ourselves. 

I haven't had a chance to go through all the posts yet, so I hope I'm not bothering anyone with too many newbie questions... I can always figure out how the airfare works and things like that later (we prefer to fly Air Canada, Air Transat or Westjet from Toronto to Florida and can always find great rates when booking our own flights so maybe their airfare isn't even necessary) - and we do have a good TA so these things can always be his problem to sort out instead of mine.

Until we retire (5 more years, just 5...so close...), we can only take enough time off to cruise in November/December. I have found two Caribbean itineraries that I like - and until we retire, I refuse to vacation somewhere cold in November/December so I think we will pick one of these. They are similar itineraries, both go to places we like, so one is no more or less appealing than the other. But, one is on the Splendor, and the other on the Navigator. 

I have absolutely no idea how to choose between the two and could use a little help. 

With the 2 for 1 fare, on the Navigator we could afford Concierge or Penthouse. (I don't really know how the category upgrade works so I'm not considering that in my stateroom selection).  On the Splendor, it looks like a comparable fare puts us in a Superior or Concierge. Until our kids are out of University a named suite is not going to happen, unless the kids really really irritate me and I book while annoyed.

How important are those Concierge level amenities that look appealing on paper but maybe don't make much difference in reality? Having never had a butler, how important would a butler be to our overall experience on Regent? Should we base our decision on class of stateroom (ie, penthouse on Navigator wins), or ship (Splendor is newer)? We do like some evening activities, we like good food, good service, comfort... We're not really prone to being seasick but how disruptive is the vibration on Navigator? 

I'm just curious what people who know Regent would suggest if they had to choose - Concierge or Penthouse on Navigator, or Superior or Concierge on Splendor? Does one ship appeal more than the other, or does the stateroom choice make the difference?

Thank you very much for your opinions/advise/suggestions.....

Greyhound Crazy, upon doing my research I found that Concierge is better if it matters that you get priority booking tours or restaurant reservations, like the included five star hotel night pre or post cruise and the transfers.

Another consideration I'm thinking about was suggested to me on a different thread. The size of the cabin; concierge vs. penthouse.  The other difference is butler or not.

We have more Celebrity cruises under our belt than several other lines. We booked our first Regent last month on Mariner in a concierge.  I'm currently looking at a Splendor penthouse cabin for 2023.  For us it's no longer a matter of price since I've recently changed my paradigm. Now I'm seeking the experience before I become wheelchair regretful...wishing I had done something when I could.

It really depends upon what is important to you.  But my feeling is you won't go wrong with either ship or cabin selection.

• Like 1

Hi there - We are also previous Celebrity cruisers, normally in Sky suites.  I mention that because as you may know that means we had access to Michael’s Club and Luminae, so for comparison purposes to Regent.  We are relatively new to Regent having only been on the Explorer (sister ship to the Splendor).  My advice is to choose the Splendor.  I can guarantee that you will be blown away.  Your cabin on the Splendor will be 31 sf larger, and your balcony will be 33 sf larger if you are in Concierge with a large balcony.

We have four other cruises booked on Regent - two on the Splendor, and one each on the Mariner and Explorer.  But for a first ‘Regent’ experience I would definitely recommend their newest ship.

We did Concierge so that we could get the four device internet service, the large balcony, and the pre-cruise hotel with breakfast and transfer.  To us it was worth it but the cabins are identical to the Superior Balcony cabins (except no large balconies) so depending what’s important to you and the price difference is the best way to decide.  Happy planning.  You won’t be disappointed!

• Like 2

Itinerary is most important to us, so one thing you also might also look at is the times in each port.  We have been on Explorer and Navigator.  Square footage of your suite would (for me) have the best impact because the rest of an RSSC cruise is just great no matter what ship you are on. While the Explorer has lots of public space and 3 specialty restaurants, the Navigator is a very friendly ship and a good size to meet people, and easily get around the ship.  Having done Transatlantic on both Explorer and Navigator, I haven't seen anything where the Navigator is more unstable in rough water than other ships.  Tough decision, but a fun one.

• Like 2

First of all the two for one is strictly marketing and meaningless.  Nobody pays the high fares and everyone evetrytime gets the the marketing two for ones.  Other than the early booking of excursions and dining Concierge is again a marketing ploy since you are paying for the included hotel nite in your fare and in almost every case and for sure in Miami you can get your pre cruise hotel much less expensive than the upcharge for the Concierge suite. 

As to Navigator vs Splendor, aft suites on Navigator are to be avoided due to a lot of vibration in the aft.  Also only one specialty restaurant vs. 3 or 4 on Spender but, Splendor has almost double the passengers.  In the end it is your choice just read all the comments and then decide.

• Like 2

We have cruised on all Regent ships multiple times.

Re: The Splendor

The best value is either a F1 or F 2 suite. If you must have 4 devices to use on the internet you would need to book a Concierge suite. If that is not a concern you are overpaying for a Concierge suite. Everyone always seems to get restaurant reservations and shore excursions. The butlers are a waste. Never had one that actually did anything special for us. You are also overpaying for a 1 night hotel room and transportation to the ship. Mush cheaper to book your own hotels and transportation.

Re: The Navigator

Old ship! Original bathrooms with only one sink. 

Category F thru A : All rooms the same size. Just different locations on the ship. 

If you must have 4 devices on internet you would need to book a Concierge suite. Other wise

no value.

I think the best value is the E Deluxe. Great location. You do not want any aft suites as the vibration may

disturb you. 

Not many specialty restaurants but this is good in a way: The main dining room gets used and that

creates a great experience. Fun! On the Splendor and Explorer guests are always scrambling to eat

in the specialty restaurants and thus Compass Rose is void of any buzz or fun. Usually only half full and

not a very enjoyable experience. The lighting in there is awful... no atmosphere.!!

• Like 2

So far nobody seems to have mentioned that the Navigator Penthouse is the SAME SIZE as the standard suite (and thus the concierge.)

A butler doesn't do anything for us that makes it worth it.  If the specialty restaurants are very important to you, that might make a concierge worthwhile, but as someone else said, everybody usually gets to go.

Do note that Navigator has only one specialty restaurant besides Compass Rose and La Veranda.  It's a smaller, more intimate ship.  I haven't been on Splendor so I can't comment, but it would definitely be glitzier.  I really like Navigator.

We've done Navigator twice, both times deck 6, forward, category E.  Great location--don't go aft is my advice.

• Like 1

Wendy beat me to it... I was going to mention that the size of the Penthouse on the Navigator is the same as the smaller rooms with balconies. I agree with pretty much everything else that has been said. We haven't been on the Splendor but have been on the Explorer several times. The one thing with the Concierge Suites on the Splendor/Explorer is the balconies are noticeably larger. 

The butler thing is funny. We had a Penthouse on the Navigator (we were upgraded) and our butler was the nicest guy but he was so nervous. One of the things they do for you in a Penthouse is bring you canapés every evening. Our guy was so nervous about getting the canapé order every day he would hunt me down in the hallway before we could leave the ship for the day. He was so nervous about missing the order he was starting to make me nervous. I had to sit down with him and let him know very nicely that I really appreciated his dedication but he was making me crazy. We agreed that unless otherwise requested he would just leave us a small fruit and cheese plate every day. Problem solved. I still chuckle  about that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whichever ship you choose you will enjoy the excellent Regent experience

For a cruise in the Caribbean of similar duration & itinerary, we would probably choose Splendor. 

It is likely to be  more expensive, but the added facilities on board for us justifies the extra. The suite sizes are also marginally larger than Navigator.

If you do not need the services of a butler then do not bother with a Penthouse.

Those new to Regent often find the additional amenities associated with the concierge grades to be of use (extra Wi-Fi connections, earlier dining/excursion reservations) so either a D or E on Splendor would be good (on Navigator only D is concierge). Choosing one of the concierge suites with a wider balcony on Splendor would also be enjoyable for Caribbean cruising.

So with the 2-Category Suite Upgrade promotion on offer until the end of February you could book a D grade suite at the price of an F1; or an E grade at the price of an F2.

Enjoy your planning & decision making 😎

PS: if you book a concierge suite but do not require the one night pre-cruise hotel & transfer I think you can opt to take a credit.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Regarding the same size suites on Navigator yes the same sq footage but the more expensive ones are a different more square shape and seem roomier. 

Are you sure that's true Dave?  They look exactly the same in terms of layout.  Funny, because on Voyager, the PH's are only 50 sqft larger than standard, but they are in fact much roomier feeling, because of their square shape.  Perhaps you're thinking of that?

First Regent cruise in the Caribbean should be Splendor.... hands down.

I don’t know your budget but we have sailed on Explorer from a Superior Suite to the Penthouse suites to the Explorer suite. 

Explorer is same as Splendor. 
Our next five booked cruises are on Splendor and Navigator. We choose Navigator for itinerary.

We love having a butler...he usually can get us additional specialty restaurant reservations, help with the packing, makes sure we have all the brands of liquor we want, evening service of shrimp and crab. change of shore excursions, serve dinner in suite... That’s just some of my list. 
We love the B penthouse, with its larger balcony. It has an L-shaped sofa, a table and chairs for outside dining. 
Any questions, just ask..

sheila

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Are you sure that's true Dave?  They look exactly the same in terms of layout.  Funny, because on Voyager, the PH's are only 50 sqft larger than standard, but they are in fact much roomier feeling, because of their square shape.  Perhaps you're thinking of that?

Perhaps I’m thinking of my first regent cruise on voyager. 

Agree with Sheila on the butler.   He's your first point of contact for anything you need on board.  No need to go to the reception area to discuss anything, at least initially.  A good butler (which we've had except for one trip) can really make a cruise extra special for you.  

• Like 2

One thing about the Navigator is that she vibrates in many areas of the ship. It is especially bad in the theater. At least this was the case last time we were on her. I agree about booking a category E suite. Those are balcony suites on the starboard side near the bow, and we could feel no vibration there. On a brighter note the Navigator is the smaller ship, and we prefer smaller ships, 

I have a different problem deciding since the itinerary through the Panama Canal is on the Splendor.

We have really enjoyed the aft view cabins on several cruise lines; different size ships.  However on the Splendor, the aft facing cabins ( besides the Master Suites) are only the low category Deluxe Veranda Suite G2. We were initially looking at a Penthouse C but there's only one left and it's wheel chair accessible. Besides we've not had a butler yet and don't need an excessively large cabin.

Then we considered the Concierge because of the transfers, early reservations/excursions and pre hotel night.  But someone or two suggested the transfers and hotel might not be not worth it but also less expensive if we did it on our own. Plus they've never had trouble getting  restaurant reservations.

So, Is there anything wrong with a G2 of which we should be aware? We did a partial Panama Canal on another line and really enjoyed the aft panoramic view.

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

And if this is your first booking with Regent, make sure to take advantage of the Regent Ambassador program (https://www.rssc.com/ambassador) which will get you a $250 savings on your first booking. You just need a previous Regent cruiser to provide their Seven Seas (loyalty program) number and their email.  There is a thread pinned at the top of the board to ask someone for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

So, Is there anything wrong with a G2 of which we should be aware? We did a partial Panama Canal on another line and really enjoyed the aft panoramic view.

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

We spent 24 nights on an aft facing G2 on the Explorer.  We had three adults (two in their 50s and one in their 80s) and survived perfectly fine.  There are two negatives for recommending these suites.  First, the railing is metal and sitting on the chairs you cannot see the sea.  Second, there is no back entrance into Compass Rose so it is a long walk to forward stairs or elevators and then down to Compass Rose.

Besides that, I found the suite wonderful.  Real close access to Prime 7, Chartreuse,, and La Verandah and easy to toss grapes to those in the Infinity Pool.

Marc

• Haha 2

We have done 18 Regent cruises (but never on the Navigator); we adore the Regent experience. We did the Splendor's first cruise, from Barcelona to Miami - MAGNIFICENT ship and cabins! I believe that F1 or F2 cabins are unbeatable deals  on Explorer and especially on the Splendor. For Miami to Miami, I wouldn't think of a Concierge cabin as there are lots of transportation and hotel options you can arrange yourself at a far less cost. Never had trouble getting specialty restaurant dinner reservations on Explorer or Splendor (Hint: try one the night of embarkation) if I was flexible on time; also the terrific light lunches in P7 and/or Chartreuse are "first come..".

We've been in a Navigator penthouse and also an F2 on Explorer - which as has been noted is the same as the Splendour. Like Wendy noted above, we're pretty low maintenance and really couldn't find much for our butler to do although he was more than willing and helpful when we asked for anything. We've found that room service is excellent so if you want canapes in the afternoon, just pick up the phone. The F2 on Explorer was terrific value in my opinion - very large suite and good sized balcony with a good layout. The Splendour/Explorer ships being newer are really impressive and although they carry more passengers, we never found lineups beyond five minutes or so. The suggestion for lunch in Prime 7 or Chartreuse is a great one - fabulous food and service.

Coming out of Toronto also, we've always done our own air and hotel which is not only much more reasonable but keeps you in charge of things in terms of flights/transportation to the hotel and ship. I'd hate to get a milk-run flight to Florida and am not a fan of waiting for a bus to fill up to get to or from a hotel.

As for reservations for dinners and tours - although Concierge offers advanced booking possibilities, we've never had a problem getting reservations on either. We've been waitlisted for tours a few times but once on board we were advised we'd cleared the waitlist. Best idea is to book your reservations online as soon as you are able to and you'll be notified when bookings open online.

Both ships are wonderful and you'll love the Regent experience. We enjoyed Explorer/Splendour over the Navigator primarily due to the variety of dining avenues but either way, you're on a beautifully-maintained ship with top-notch service. Have a great trip!!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Just a word of caution on butlers. We are also "low maintenance", but after a few cruises with butlers, we never say that anymore. We've had more than one instance, where I guess they thought "low maintenance" meant, they never had to check in with us anymore. Now, when we meet and greet, the butler, we don't comment on low maintenance. 

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Just a word of caution on butlers. We are also "low maintenance", but after a few cruises with butlers, we never say that anymore. We've had more than one instance, where I guess they thought "low maintenance" meant, they never had to check in with us anymore. Now, when we meet and greet, the butler, we don't comment on low maintenance. 

This is a useful observation and one I'll remember.  We've also been guilty of making this type of statement on embarkation day.  

Thank you so much for all your help. This information is invaluable and will be so helpful - we still have not made a decision but we're closer, thanks to you.

One more question - for what exactly does one use a butler? What do they do for you? Having never had one, it's hard for us know whether we would enjoy having one...

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

Thank you so much for all your help. This information is invaluable and will be so helpful - we still have not made a decision but we're closer, thanks to you.

One more question - for what exactly does one use a butler? What do they do for you? Having never had one, it's hard for us know whether we would enjoy having one...

Thanks again!

See my post #12 on this thread. 
sheila

• Like 1