Sailings now cancelled through April 30

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s not perfect by any means but if your willing to travel a bit and wait in line, vaccines are happening. Eventually, if you wait, you will probably be able to get an appointment at Publix to get one down the street. The vaccines have only been out a month.  Don’t know when that will occur and must remember, you need a second dose so that wait for first dose will be the same for the second dose. 

J&J will be a game changer, one dose and doesn’t require the super freezers to store. 

M8

J&J is having some productions issues and reaching the promised quota of vaccines in February will be delayed.  However, the company announced that they will be able to produce/deliver 1 billion doses by end of year.

J&J COVID-19 vaccine on track for March rollout, still aims for 1 bln doses this year -exec | Nasdaq 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Not quite accurate. WV leaned heavily on the National Guard which is reimbursed with federal funds.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/how-west-virginia-became-a-top-state-for-covid-vaccine-administration-gov-jim-justice.html

National Guard are completely under the control of the governor. While they are paid by the feds, the feds can’t activate them without the agreement from the governor. Florida (and a lot of the other states in the top half of the list) have brought their National Guard into the vaccination equation as well. The real question you should be asking your governor is why he hasn’t done the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The flu vaccine isn't a great vaccine in the first place and is used to cover a seasonal pathogen.  When we have vaccines that produce years, or even life times, of protection getting a year out of these new tech mRNA vaccines does not register in my mind as great.

mRNA technology has been around since 1990.

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

While they are paid by the feds, the feds

That was really my only point. To say they have not received any financial assistance from the feds is simply not true.  Having said that, more states could learn from WV, including NY.

18 minutes ago, orville99 said:

he real question you should be asking your governor is why he hasn’t done the same.

I agree. He has but on a very limited basis it seems. Not sure why.  Maybe when the NY Guard troops that are in DC return, they will be used in a more effective manner.

44 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The real question you should be asking your governor is why he hasn’t done the same.

Our CA governor brought in the National Guard...but they are busy protecting the state capitol. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That was really my only point. To say they have not received any financial assistance from the feds is simply not true.

I said nothing about financial assistance. I said “without whining to the Feds”

Big difference.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And pfeizer says june or July can ship more.

I am concerned we will run out. 

The drug companies are producing and shipping vaccine as fast as they can.  Some states are doing better than others at distributing the vaccines but we have to give it time.  In MA, they are still doing first responders and congregate care facilities, so we wait.  At the beginning of February, they hope to start the next phase which includes 65+ and those with comorbidities.  We will wait and see if we qualify, I think my DH will but I don't think I will.  In NH, they are only getting about 17,000 doses a week.  My 98 yr old aunt in an assisted living facility is just getting her vaccine today.  My Mom, who lives on her own, can try to schedule an appointment January 22nd for vaccines starting January 26th.  

Hopefully, the states start getting their acts together so they can start large vaccination sites.  MA is going to use Gillette Stadium starting next week for first responders and then hopes to use it for others after that with a goal of 5,000 doses a day.  Other sites are being considered.  I know my city is using a closed senior center for first responder vaccines during the week and free testing for residents on Saturdays.  I am hoping their goal is to set that up as a vaccine site once we move to the next phase, but I will just have to wait and see.

Sometimes it is just best to turn off the tv and internet.  Information overload just adds to the anxiety of the situation.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I said nothing about financial assistance. I said “without whining to the Feds”

Big difference.

Nice backtracking but No, same thing in context with the rest of your post, where immediately afterwards you mention wanting a "big check" and end the post with "bailout".

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The drug companies are producing and shipping vaccine as fast as they can.  Some states are doing better than others at distributing the vaccines but we have to give it time.

I only quoted for the sake of space but well said!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Nice backtracking but No, same thing in context with the rest of your post, where immediately afterwards you mention wanting a "big check" and end the post with "bailout".

Both specifically directed at Cuomo who has been very public and loud about needing billions so he could get the vaccinations out. Neither of which has ever been asked for by the WV governor. 

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Both specifically directed at Cuomo who has been very public and loud about needing billions so he could get the vaccinations out. Neither of which has ever been asked for by the WV governor. 

You're confusing two things.  Cuomo has said the state needs more vaccines, just like every other state including yours.  He also would like the billions and billions that New York pays into the Fed but does not get back. Seems reasonable to me. I'm sure you like to get a tax refund as well when you pay too much in taxes.

If you heard on your preferred media station that he is withholding the vaccine until he get billions of dollars, I suggest you switch to a different media outlet.

Of course, WV did not ask for aid. They already receive more support than they pay in taxes. Also, is their National Guard protecting the capital?  I didn't see it in the list of states that sent their NG to  DC.

32 minutes ago, orville99 said:

J&J has one approved for retinitis pigmentosa

What happened to your zeka vaccine?

RP is not even an infectious disease. You could have picked rabies but that is still experimental.

No matter, first you make it sound like mRNA vaccines have been around for years when they haven't. The idea may be old but these are new technogy vaccines compared to what has been used and brought to license.

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

Our CA governor brought in the National Guard...but they are busy protecting the state capitol. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

And so they should be....they'll be reassigned when/where necessary...one step at a time.

• Like 1

Dallas is still sorting and going to run a ad. Judge jenkins says the underserved zip codes still arent there and still underserved. The zip codes with the highest level of covid. Makes me think they are picking and choosing who to send the link to get vaccinated. Still think it was possible I got the link because of the age of my parents. They took first responders and anyone over 75 again today but this time for sure going back to appointments only. But they took those over 75 who just showed up and didnt turn them away. Bigger demand than supply of doses.

We dont need more distribution centers unless they ship more doses. ..though I dont much like where the distribution center is, I'd drive anywhere to get it.

Florida residents who can just go to a publix are lucky, my dad could have handled that but not this.

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You're confusing two things.  Cuomo has said the state needs more vaccines, just like every other state including yours.  He also would like the billions and billions that New York pays into the Fed but does not get back. Seems reasonable to me. I'm sure you like to get a tax refund as well when you pay too much in taxes.

The discrepancy between taxes paid and moneys received from the Federal Government has been going on for the last 50 years.  New Jersey is probably worse off than NY   Blame it on our politicians for not pushing for a more equitable distribution of tax dollars.

Also, Cuomo has been criticized for trying to micro-manage the distribution and timeline of the vaccine.  He should have delegated to the County Executives.  In addition, there was a special committee set up during the 9/11 to deal with emergencies of this nature, which he completely by-passed.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s not perfect by any means but if your willing to travel a bit and wait in line, vaccines are happening. Eventually, if you wait, you will probably be able to get an appointment at Publix to get one down the street. The vaccines have only been out a month.  Don’t know when that will occur and must remember, you need a second dose so that wait for first dose will be the same for the second dose. 

J&J will be a game changer, one dose and doesn’t require the super freezers to store. 

M8

Basically New York is out of the vaccines. They are still doing second doses. DW goes next week for the second dose. Mount Sinai booked more appointments than they had vaccines for. People showed up and no vaccine. Would hate to be the one working when that happened.

9 hours ago, orville99 said:

It is my understanding that their assessment comes from their entire collection of data points, which would go back as far as their initial results from their "challenge" (open label) trials in February/March 2020. I would presume they are using a sophisticated regression analysis on their entire data set to model the rate of decay in antibody levels, and that regression analysis indicates that after a year, the antibody levels are still above the FDA's mandated minimum effectivity %. 

This is correct.  Can't be proven but suspicion is years.  Proven studies is > 9 months.  SARS 1 and 2 are related.  Survivors of SARS 1 are immune to SARS 2.  Survivors of SARS 1 are still immune 17 years later.  Follow the science.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Basically New York is out of the vaccines. They are still doing second doses. DW goes next week for the second dose. Mount Sinai booked more appointments than they had vaccines for. People showed up and no vaccine. Would hate to be the one working when that happened.

We only have enough for 3 or 4 days next week. Luckily monday is a holiday so its not as bad as it could be, but dallas too doesnt have enough even to give out next week.

Politicians need to quit gabbing about getting money to open more sites and concentrate on shipping more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Florida residents who can just go to a publix are lucky, my dad could have handled that but not this.

It's not as easy as it sounds.  In my county they were booked within a very short period of time.  Don't know when more will open up.  They only booked appt's for a week.  Guess that is all they have to give out so far

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

It's not as easy as it sounds.  In my county they were booked within a very short period of time.  Don't know when more will open up.  They only booked appt's for a week.  Guess that is all they have to give out so far

Well I hope we get some like that from stores one on one eventually. Biden says his plan is 10 large distribution centres nationwide.  Gotta be some like my dad who cant manage a large distribution center. Maybe in 3 months if they finish  nursing homes. 

I just heard Charles Barkley say athletes should get priority because they pay more taxes. Lol worked for politicians though they tried to say it was because they were setting a good example. Rich and powerful front of the vaccine line.

Someone described giving out the vaccine like the hunger games. I thought that was a good simile.