X cancels Europe and Transatlantic sailings departing May - October 2021

Eloise4Ever

Celebrity, is really screwing over loyal customers by not offering lift and shift to the same sailing next year.

We booked onboard 2+ years ago for Constellation sailing from Venice.  Fully refundable all included (4 perks) with $650 on board credit.  

Same room in 2021 at the same level and $350 less OBC will be 65% more expensive and for that they will give us a 25% extra credit on the paid deposit  of our cruise ($900*0.25) apx $225.

So a 65% price increase, 350 less OBC and a whopping $225 in extra credit. 

Don't see any reason why I would rebook on Celebrity  vs another cruise line or some other vacation.

This is after being loyal Celebrity cruisers for a number of years.

19 minutes ago, nikel said:

Strange that they cancelled Edge, Apex and Constellation, but nothing yet about Reflection.  That also departs October 2021.

I am on Reflection for a b2b/TA in October, not to mention Galapagos end of June.  I just wrote my TA asking her to cancel all three...just so bummed!

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am on Reflection for a b2b/TA in October, not to mention Galapagos end of June.  I just wrote my TA asking her to cancel all three...just so bummed!

I am on APEX for 12 day Europe, Aug 28, 2021.  Have not received any notice (yet) but based on what I am seeing cancelled here for EDGE etc, I expect it very soon.

• Like 1

Here's the cancellation notice posted on the X website:

Voluntary Suspension of Cruising (celebritycruises.com)

Here's the specifics:

As we work closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and government authorities around the world toward this shared goal, we are extending the suspension of all sailings departing between March 1 and April 30, 2021 along with the Apex Transatlantic sailing of 5/1/21 and the 2021 Europe Season for Edge and Constellation's sailings departing May – October, 2021. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

24 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

What about the rest of the fleet in Europe? Maybe they are doing the cancels in batches so they are not overwhelmed by the number of people calling to change to a new sailing? 

Response from Celebrity U.K. on fb

2B8359D7-AA93-4F6E-A198-2EC7B70BD089.png

10 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We are on Silhouette but when I hear Ireland is the worst place on the earth now for COVID per capita, I doubt we will be going either.

The Ireland story is a template for not letting down your guard.   Literally a month ago they were virtually the lowest per capita in the EU.  Then came Christmas and relaxed restrictions.

And yes, the highest per capita infection rate in the world as of this week.

• Like 1

Just now, ECCruise said:

The Ireland story is a template for not letting down your guard.   Literally a month ago they were virtually the lowest per capita in the EU.  Then came Christmas and relaxed restrictions.

And yes, the highest per capita infection rate in the world as of this week.

One of my very favorite places to visit!  😪

• Like 1

I’m in Ireland. The relaxed restrictions at Christmas is only a partial explanation for the sudden increase in numbers. The bigger part of the picture seems to the the U.K. variant, which originated in the South East of England and is fast becoming the most dominant strain in Ireland. This would appear to be far more transmissible than the original Wuhan strain.

Anyhow, here’s hoping that the vaccines will lead all of us to a better place. Looking forward to next Celebrity cruise in April 2022!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WildAtlantic said:

I’m in Ireland. The relaxed restrictions at Christmas is only a partial explanation for the sudden increase in numbers. The bigger part of the picture seems to the the U.K. variant, which originated in the South East of England and is fast becoming the most dominant strain in Ireland. This would appear to be far more transmissible than the original Wuhan strain.

Anyhow, here’s hoping that the vaccines will lead all of us to a better place. Looking forward to next Celebrity cruise in April 2022!

Stay well and safe, WildAtlantic!!!  One of my dear colleagues here in Boston, is from Galway and normally would have had two trips home under her belt in 2020, of course she was not able to.  She was considering doing so in early February 2021 but of course that now seems very unlikely.  I feel so for her, while she has many many friends here, just no family.  It's been tough on her.  

45 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We are on Silhouette but when I hear Ireland is the worst place on the earth now for COVID per capita, I doubt we will be going either.

Friends  just had to cancel a land based visit there for the second time.

Hoping to try again in July 2021. Their family there says things are not good.

They did cancel the Edge transatlantic in October. Someone then wondered about the June 2021 Apex cruises. We're booked on Apex from June 5 to July 10, 2021.  I was wondering if they'd be cancelled too.  EXCEPT in the letter sent to folks about the EDGE transatlantic October cancellation, it says people can rebook to a similar ship on their Europe cruises in May and June 2021...which would lead me to believe they still plan to run these. There's hope. Of course, we need to get the vaccine first....and Europe needs to agree to tourists etc. Much is still up in the air.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Apex TA out of Barcelona in Oct...which still seems to be a go. Everything we reserved can be cancelled without penalty, so we are not getting our hopes up yet...even thought we are scheduled to get the first Pfizer vaccine shot tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

I'm booked on two July cruises--Apex July 10 Barcelona to Rome and Infinity July 19 Rome to Venice...

These were "lifted and shifted" from two July 2020 cruises already...We are hopeful that we get vaccinated soon and these cruises are still on...after all, they are still six months away...

My take on why THESE are still "on" but other ships are not is this:  Celebrity is not quite ready to cancel EVERYTHING as they are likely also hopeful enough customers--AND CREW-- can get vaccinated...and that things are a bit better in the destination countries...and they hope to be cruising in Europe this summer...BUT, they don't think they will be able to fill up the whole fleet of ships scheduled to be there--especially if they have to require vaccinations...or just considering the number of customers afraid to go to Europe...

So, by decreasing the number of ships, they may get everyone consolidated on the remaining ships...Better to fill up two ships than sail four ships half empty...

My fear with MY set-up would be if they decided to keep the Apex cruises and cancel the Infinity...then I'd have to convince them to allow me to do two on Apex...I'm not flying all the way to Europe for a single seven night cruise...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

Bruin Steve. I like your thinking. But one of the issues is virus transmissibility. There is still some uncertainty as to whether vaccinated people can pass the virus on to others. Until the answer is found, the concern is that countries might not allow cruise ships to dock. This is especially so if those countries have not vaccinated sufficient numbers of their own populations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Has the infinity been revolutionized yet?  I was on the Edge may 24th not sure why they kept the old ship in service?  

Could be many reasons why.  Booking levels, Edge may sell better here.

And there is, perhaps, the fact that a number of people would rather sail Infinity than Edge.  Including us.  We have zero desire to sail an E class ship.  And that doesn't even factor our dislike of the Revolution (not the revitalization) of M and S class.