Alligators around FLL

lobsternight

So I'm hoping we are going to still do our December 2021 cruise out of FLL, and will book our air segment in the next few weeks, just trying to work out some logistics.  My DW and I have seen more than enough gators and crocks in our lives, however my sons have yet to see one, and are excited to do so.

I noticed there is a post cruise airboat ride and gator viewing, which could work on way to airport.  Never been on an airboat so thats cool.  Would like advice on departure flight time if this is our option.  

What I would love to know if there are any viewing areas in December near FLL, idea being to have the taxi take us there and perhaps take 10-15 minutes to give it a shot.  Pond, ditch, whatever.  I know with wildlife there is no guarantee.  Not wanting to spend a night or rent a car to do otherwise.

47 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

So I'm hoping we are going to still do our December 2021 cruise out of FLL, and will book our air segment in the next few weeks, just trying to work out some logistics.  My DW and I have seen more than enough gators and crocks in our lives, however my sons have yet to see one, and are excited to do so.

I noticed there is a post cruise airboat ride and gator viewing, which could work on way to airport.  Never been on an airboat so thats cool.  Would like advice on departure flight time if this is our option.  

What I would love to know if there are any viewing areas in December near FLL, idea being to have the taxi take us there and perhaps take 10-15 minutes to give it a shot.  Pond, ditch, whatever.  I know with wildlife there is no guarantee.  Not wanting to spend a night or rent a car to do otherwise.

We took an airboat ride three years ago post cruise. There were gators and wildlife all through the Everglades. All around the dock and grounds there were gators roaming and sleeping. Kids should have a good time. If flying home you won’t be able to book a flight before a determined time. My rememberance is we arrived at MIA after the tour was around 2pm.

5 minutes ago, skrufy said:

We took an airboat ride three years ago post cruise. There were gators and wildlife all through the Everglades. All around the dock and grounds there were gators roaming and sleeping. Kids should have a good time. If flying home you won’t be able to book a flight before a determined time. My rememberance is we arrived at MIA after the tour was around 2pm.

Pretty accurate....the everglades are some distance from FLL and gators are not salt water critters...they live in the mostly fresh water of the everglades.  

Crocodiles are salt water friendly, but Florida crocs are on the endangered list and are few and far between.

Taking the ship excursion is probably the best idea as it would leave early enough to return for a flight out of MIA.  There are lots of local tours but would leave too late to see the Everglades and still be at MIA or FLL for a decent flight home....esp to YVR.

I agree with the recommendations to take a ship's tour with drop off at the airport.  Check to see if the disembarkation ships tour are already listed under excursions for your cruise.  There should be a warning:  "This tour is for guests with flights leaving Fort Lauderdale International Airport after X:00 PM."*  Use that as a guide for making your flight reservations.  I would play it safe, considering how often flight times can change a few minutes one way or another, and add a half hour onto the warning. 

If the excursion description doesn't include where they are taking you, I would query posters on the cruise line forum.  Once you know the probable vendor, you can look them up on line for more information on what you will see and do.

* for example:

On Princess Debark Tour: Everglades Airboat Ride & Eco-Adventure with Fort Lauderdale Airport Transfer that is 1:00 pm

On Princess Debark Tour: Everglades Airboat Ride & Flamingo Gardens with Fort Lauderdale Airport Transfer that is domestic flights leaving Fort Lauderdale International Airport after 3:00pm and international flights leaving Fort Lauderdale International Airport after 4:00pm.  If your flight is leaving late I enthusiastically recommend Flamingo Gardens!

There is no docks that a taxi can take you to reasonably.  Just do the excursion.  They know where the gators are going to be, plus they have little mini zoos with gators and what not.

Out of FLL, the excursions will either go to Holiday Park or Sawgrass Recreation.  Both have plenty of gators in the area.  I ride and fish out by Sawgrass Rec and see gators all the time.

Edited by BNBR

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the advice, figured the ship excursion and transfer would be our best bet.  Just hope our departure times are not bumped around too much by booking so far in advance.  Well look forward to the airboat, brings back B&W TV memories of Gentle Ben.  Getting old.

• Like 1

Next door just a few weeks ago . . . this guy crossed the line defining 'nuisance' for State rules. Trappers responded in under an hour. Welcome to Florida!  This is near Canaveral.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt BJ - my in-laws retired to Inverness, Citrus County.  On one visit my father-in-law, who dabbled in real estate, took us to see a house on a local lake he thought we should buy.  We had no intention of doing so but to humor him we met the real estate agent and were checking out the inside of the house when she exclaimed "Oh look, there's our local alligator!"  He/she was swimming within 20 feet of the backyard (and where there is one, we presumed there were more).  I looked at my father-in-law and said, "you really think we should live here with your two young grandchildren and our small dogs?"  He dropped that idea. 

Decades later we bought a condo on the beach in Broward County.  Now the only fauna I worry about are iguanas falling from the trees during cold spells and love bugs during a few weeks in the spring. 

• Like 1