CDC: Negative COVID-19 test required for air passengers to enter and leave the US

hcat

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

If Florida is willing to vaccinate out of state residents your issue is with the government of Florida not with the people who are going there to be vaccinated. 

Actually it is with both.

I'm one of those old-fashioned people who still believe in personal ethics as opposed to "what I can get away with".

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Actually it is with both.

I'm one of those old-fashioned people who still believe in personal ethics as opposed to "what I can get away with".

This is not "getting away with" as the government of Florida has acknowledged non-residents will be getting the vaccine too. If someone opens the door and spreads out the welcome mat there's nothing unethical about walking in.  

11 minutes ago, K32682 said:

This is not "getting away with" as the government of Florida has acknowledged non-residents will be getting the vaccine too. If someone opens the door and spreads out the welcome mat there's nothing unethical about walking in.  

I have no problem with my state providing vaccines to visitors. My problem is with visitors coming in, especially from out of country, to take the vaccine and then hypocritically trying to insult our health care system. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I suppose, then, that it is okay for me to go to my local food bank and load up on food. After all, it is intended for anyone who needs it, and we all need food.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suppose, then, that it is okay for me to go to my local food bank and load up on food. After all, it is intended for anyone who needs it, and we all need food.

If you do not have any food the answer is yes just as if someone else has the vaccine, is willing to give it to me and I can't access it in my home country the answer is also yes.  

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

If you do not have any food the answer is yes just as if someone else has the vaccine, is willing to give it to me and I can't access it in my home country the answer is also yes.  

What if I have access to food somewhere else?  And don't need it as badly as others who don't have access to a "somewhere else"?

Edited by cruisemom42

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The difference is that those left unvaccinated whether residents of other states there as "snowbirds" or even illegal aliens can still spread the virus.

The virus does not ask for any id.

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What if I have access to food somewhere else?  And don't need it as badly as others who don't have access to a "somewhere else"?

I kind of wondered about that during the early phases of the pandemic with those huge lines of cars driving up to collect free food.  

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The difference is that those left unvaccinated whether residents of other states there as "snowbirds" or even illegal aliens can still spread the virus.

The virus does not ask for any id.

You are absolutely correct.  The virus does not ask for ID.  We, those of us in the US, should all get ready for more new residents to arrive looking for all sorts of help in the coming months.  "La Bestia" is almost back in service!

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

or even illegal aliens can still spread the virus.

....but if they are coming JUST to get the vaccination??

Quote from the Miami Herald:

“I think a whole new group of people that had no intentions of traveling South this year are now going to get the vaccine,” Firestone said. “My phone is ringing off the hook with people saying, ‘I’m going South.’”

But it’s not just part-time residents who are making trips to get the vaccine. Residents over 65 from countries like Argentina, Canada and Brazil are also accessing South Florida’s vaccine portals in hopes of scoring a shot."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article248347830.html

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

“I think a whole new group of people that had no intentions of traveling South this year are now going to get the vaccine,” Firestone said. “My phone is ringing off the hook with people saying, ‘I’m going South.’”

But it’s not just part-time residents who are making trips to get the vaccine. Residents over 65 from countries like Argentina, Canada and Brazil are also accessing South Florida’s vaccine portals in hopes of scoring a shot."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article248347830.html

I actually sent the article I posted yesterday to a friend in Mexico City who is his early 70's.  He had called earlier asking about the availability of the vaccine in the US.  This got me looking on line to see what access non-citizens/residents might have to the vaccine in the US.  This is when I learned about Florida being the place.

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I kind of wondered about that during the early phases of the pandemic with those huge lines of cars driving up to collect free food.  

We donate regularly to our food bank. Due to people losing their jobs their request 50%. In addition to our regular, automatic monthly donation, we've also given them our "stimulus" money. The pandemic has cause a lot of hunger. I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't connect the dots.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

COVID vaccine to all comers will be an excellent boost to Florida's tourism industry. As a booster is required you'd enjoy a lengthy stay or have to make two trips. Unfortunately I'm under the age requirement but should they lower the cut off to entice more tourists I'll be booking my flight and beachfront hotel!

6 hours ago, SelectSys said:

That kind of limitation wouldn't be possible in the US.

Absolutely. We can’t even ask for ID to vote.

It really infuriates me when people are traveling anywhere to get vaccinated when my area hasn’t yet been able to get enough vaccine to get to health care workers.

42 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

We can’t even ask for ID to vote.

My family and friends in Mexico are always incredibly surprised when I tell them this. 

In Mexico, one needs to get a voter ID card provided by the government  to vote.  You also need to register in advance so that the lists are all updated in advance of the election.  You also receive a plastic card with your picture on it.  The card looks pretty much like a driver's license and lots of people use them as their primary form of ID.  

When you go to vote, the poll worker matches you and your card to a what's in a printed book at your polling precinct.  The book is precinct-specific and the pages of the book are nothing more than a print out of all the cards.  If your card, the copy in the book and your appearance all don't match you don't get to vote.  Simple as that.

I have always wondered why we can't adopt a similar system in the US?  It seems pretty secure to me,  No one seems to complain.  Mexico also doesn't allow alcohol sales I think bars a day before and on election day in an attempt to make sure votes are clear headed and sober when going to the polls.

42 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

It really infuriates me when people are traveling anywhere to get vaccinated when my area hasn’t yet been able to get enough vaccine to get to health care workers

Get ready for more infuriation as people continue to look for aid and help.  I am sure the word has spread far and wide by now and this will create more demand on our health care system to take care of travelers and others.  

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

The pandemic has cause a lot of hunger. I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't connect the dots.

Casablanca - Claude Rains quote | Claude rains, Old hollywood, Casablanca

I have been shocked by lots of things this last 9+ months.  I was certainly shocked when the state of CA gave $400 million in unemployment benefits to prisoners.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/california-sent-unemployment-benefits-to-35-000-prisoners-including-notorious-killers-0160625848

I don't doubt that many people have been benefited from these programs and the generosity of those making donations.  I also believe that we may have seen a fair amount of opportunism as well.   It was to this likely opportunism that I was wondering about above.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Absolutely. We can’t even ask for ID to vote.

It really infuriates me when people are traveling anywhere to get vaccinated when my area hasn’t yet been able to get enough vaccine to get to health care workers.

100% agree. In my county we are only getting the vaccine in 100 dose batches and are still working on front line health care workers and nursing homes. They have recently announced that soon 80 plus will be eligible. Trying to figure out how Florida is getting enough doses to vaccinate people who are 65 plus and live outside the country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

We donate regularly to our food bank. Due to people losing their jobs their request 50%. In addition to our regular, automatic monthly donation, we've also given them our "stimulus" money. The pandemic has cause a lot of hunger. I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't connect the dots.

I volunteer at a local food pantry. When we were fully open, I was one of the ones who stocked shelves before we opened to our clientele. I was also the primary one stocking shelves as people got their food. I now do some deliveries as we are not open to the public. I also both before and now help unload the truck when we get our monthly delivery.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I volunteer at a local food pantry. When we were fully open, I was one of the ones who stocked shelves before we opened to our clientele. I was also the primary one stocking shelves as people got their food. I now do some deliveries as we are not open to the public. I also both before and now help unload the truck when we get our monthly delivery.

HUGE hugs to you. It's near and dear to us.

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

COVID vaccine to all comers will be an excellent boost to Florida's tourism industry. As a booster is required you'd enjoy a lengthy stay or have to make two trips. Unfortunately I'm under the age requirement but should they lower the cut off to entice more tourists I'll be booking my flight and beachfront hotel!

While waiting you always could consider this Caribbean destination like some other Canadians.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/entire-plane-affected-by-covid-days-after-canada-implements-negative-test-requirement

15 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

While waiting you always could consider this Caribbean destination like some other Canadians.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/entire-plane-affected-by-covid-days-after-canada-implements-negative-test-requirement

But air travel is safe as long as it is undertaken safely, right?  :classic_huh: :classic_dry:  Or so people keep posting.

• Like 1