The Daily for Wednesday Jan 13, 2021

richwmn

42 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So any tips on collecting canine prints?

I recently made patches with my neighbor’s dog’s paw prints embroidered on them for his car seat covers, but getting the prints wasn’t easy. I ended up running her through the mud, then across paper. Lots of paper. Stamping her paw just didn’t work.

Definitely don't use Sirchie latent print powder unless you're looking fwd to some extra cleaning 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting collection of days!

Having pork roast for dinner, no pierogis.

It's sunny and relatively warm (40F) here today.

We'll see if the new mandate to vaccinate those 65 and over speeds things up for some of us.

Prayers for those on the care list and cheers to those on the celebration list.

Stay well, stay safe and wear your mask!

Rubber Duck in Pittsburgh!

RubberDuck1.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 12

Good morning (barely) all!  Late to the party today, we had no power for 4 hours this morning and intermittently during the night.  I spent a good part of the morning wondering where my next cup of coffee would come from. 😂  My wonderful DH was just about to go in search for a cup (and he doesn't drink coffee, what a guy!) and the power came back on.  😄  It would have been quite a search, as there were power outages all over the western part of the state.

Since then I hurried to bake the cookies I plan to take today to the grandsons.  It's pretty amazing when you stop and think how much we rely on electricity.  We have a tankless hot water heater so no showers, no heat (and the gas fireplace wouldn't work because the switch relies on electricity).  And most importantly, the coffee maker!!  😉  

I'm so  happy to see so many getting their first vaccines!  Also heard about a new one that Johnson & Johnson plans to roll out that would require only 1 jab, not 2.  

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I don’t blame you for feeling that way Ann.  I’m ticked that Trudeau turned down more Moderna..  It’s so much easier to distribute than the Pfizer

Not sure why he got more of Pfizer that is so hard to get to so many parts of the country and turned down the Moderna.  

And I think the Moderna vaccine is less expensive?

• Like 6

Good afternoon.  I’m late today since my house needed cleaning — not one of my favorite activities.  I’d much rather do the yard work.  I don’t know if it’s because I’m outside or because the results seem to last longer.  😀

There are no pork chops in the house, so with our wine we’ll have one of DH’s favorites, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and salad. There are times I too suffer from cooking fatigue, but I still have several things on hand to try old recipes I resurrected and some new ones we have discovered since March.

The weather will be nice for a few days, and beginning tomorrow, the nights should be cloudless, so DH will be able to use his telescope   I’ll try to share some of the images he captures.

Lenda

• Like 14

The Maasdam left Mare and sailed to Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia.  I had booked a shore excursion thru HAL to use up some onboard credit.  It went to what was called a vanilla plantation.  Actuallly a small farm and retail store, but an interesting trip. 

Remember these signs at the gangway?  

20200110_095013.thumb.jpg.4c1c82927b4fe79d5c2c59a27a8f5fca.jpg

No one told us what this "critter" was....and I didn't get too close!  He was huge. 

20200110_105026.thumb.jpg.4fb396f61d729490548372db151a2cb2.jpg

The gift shop, of course.

20200110_104625.thumb.jpg.a4a5c1d3f1a0fc1f339f3239d676f266.jpg

Vanilla beans drying in the sun.

20200110_111251.thumb.jpg.721e049e2a1d87b9b6c7f54425232a36.jpg

Everyone got this leafy hat to wear.

20200110_114118.thumb.jpg.96dd25d42654583756840513501c4385.jpg

Tomorrow we will be in Luganville, Vanuatu.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning (barely) all!  Late to the party today, we had no power for 4 hours this morning and intermittently during the night.  I spent a good part of the morning wondering where my next cup of coffee would come from. 😂  My wonderful DH was just about to go in search for a cup (and he doesn't drink coffee, what a guy!) and the power came back on.  😄  It would have been quite a search, as there were power outages all over the western part of the state.

Since then I hurried to bake the cookies I plan to take today to the grandsons.  It's pretty amazing when you stop and think how much we rely on electricity.  We have a tankless hot water heater so no showers, no heat (and the gas fireplace wouldn't work because the switch relies on electricity).  And most importantly, the coffee maker!!  😉  

I'm so  happy to see so many getting their first vaccines!  Also heard about a new one that Johnson & Johnson plans to roll out that would require only 1 jab, not 2.  

Love my generater

• Like 7

January 13, 2013 Isla Chiloe, Chile

By early morning the winds and sea had settled down. Up early, I snitched a raisin roll from the card and filled my mug with coffee and headed to the deck to welcome the sunrise. Quietly Veendam slipped through the waters, passing innumerable low islands, farmland set on gently rolling hills, fish farms and small brightly colored fishing boats.

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.57caff57ddbb45b5b131e7182cd0f1ff.JPG

DSC_0047.thumb.JPG.3d63246f194c68da70ad2cc8c09d3a86.JPG

The air was filled with the cacophony of hundreds of birds as the area is rich with wildlife As we approached the little town of Castro, a hill in the distance rose, and on it, overlooking the whole town was the church of San Francisco. I remembered a comment from a colleague about it- “you can’t miss it”- and he was right. The fact that it was painted a screaming shade of yellow- one that even Caltrans couldn’t surpass- and trimmed with it’s complement, purple, only made it stand out all the more.

DSC_0053.thumb.JPG.9a4cffa0a90267f1ce9d8b0f7f3deae5.JPGDSC_0058.thumb.JPG.09b68034bbfcc7b0f50777b40a96e05a.JPG

The Island of Chiloe is known for its historic churches, and this is one of 17 on the island. It is designated as a UNESCO Heritage Site and is one of the newer ones, built of local wood in 1912. Much of the church, as well as many of the houses were built from Alerce wood, which like redwood, resists rot.

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.9ac21b6a870c59e5a626b7840e913c05.JPG

Chiloe has extreme tidal changes, and traditional houses, known as Palifitos are built with the front on land and the back portion on stilts that jut out over the water/shore area. Traditionally, when a family moves, they take the house apart and roll it on the stilts to wherever they want to move to. Most of the families maintain a house along the coast for fishing, and a house inland for farming. There are over 350 types of potatoes grown on Chiloe.

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.e40e3442cc3f6b7580c56edd36429c82.JPG

We arrived during low tide, and tendered in to the tiny town. Several people from our roll call had put together a trip to see penguins on a local island. I had signed up to take a HAL shorex to the National Park (Cucao), thinking there would still be some of the Alerce trees there (which there were not. They had long since been logged.) The shorex was basically a walk through the park, and while it was interesting to see the flora and fauna up close, I wished I had taken a shorex to explore the surround church buildings.   

DSC_0096.thumb.JPG.7752e49ea09bc9c12c96499ef0d581dd.JPGDSC_0088.thumb.JPG.5ab63559c7f97acd418ee8f2c0c92e88.JPGDSC_0127.thumb.JPG.87e4ac625178dbc4a5785b5daea23297.JPG

After we returned to the tender dock there was still plenty of port time left, and a small group of us (mostly teachers from a town adjacent to our SoCal hometown) decided to explore Castro on foot.  The town was pretty much closed up for siesta, but a police officer confirmed the church was open and we would need to use the door on the right, as it was always unlocked.  The interior was fabulous woodwork done by expert craftsmen who were also boat builders. Woods included alerce, cypress, beech, coigue. The original building was constructed in the 1770 by Jesuits, and it had been rebuilt several times of the years as fire had burned it down multiple times. The church is now run by Franciscans.

DSC_0156.thumb.JPG.7f9608ad284c55953c6e0a05c9bdc727.JPGDSC_0169.thumb.JPG.5399c58de477a1f2760e269686a0dfe8.JPG

bDSC_0159.thumb.jpg.e79613e701e0d970ccdaeaa9ab260fec.jpgbDSC_0164.thumb.jpg.2948240189a493113288b740f5f80377.jpgIMG_0314.thumb.JPG.601af7bbbcc3950152e9d75e6be775ff.JPG

The handcraft market was still open, but only a few people (mostly from the ship) were walking around. Adjacent there was a park with several derelict steam engines on display. When we returned to the tender dock the tide had come in quite a bit and previously beached boats were floating at anchor.

bDSC_0164.thumb.jpg.2948240189a493113288b740f5f80377.jpgDSC_0187.thumb.JPG.39b31d2ecc032e6a210c6c114a006634.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

• Like 19

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Skeptic's Day? Really?

Today is breezy and 11°C/52°F.  The breeze is keeping the rain away for the moment, but drizzle is forecast for later.

Last night I booked an Amsterdam Hotel for our September Baltic Rotterdam VII cruise (No prepayment and fully cancellable, of course! 😂), but will not book flights for a few more months.

Ireland is really suffering from the third round of Covid infections.   The easing of restriction prior to Christmas has led to a huge increase in infections, hospitalisations and deaths over the past 2 weeks.  In previous surges we could say that we did not know anyone who had tested positive for Covid, but this time we know of several who are infected including some who are seriously ill.

Stay safe everyone!

I am so sorry to here of the situation in Ireland. I hope and pray that is Covid 19 soon leaves the land  of my ancesters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some impressions of that crossing on Amsterdam between Alaska and Japan. Pretty much routine with some "motion in the ocean" thrown in to break up the monotony 😉  

001.JPG

002.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

024.JPG

016.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

Ome og my regrets is that I was never Chapain on a ship when you were serving in security.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

No one told us what this "critter" was....and I didn't get too close!  He was huge. 

20200110_105026.thumb.jpg.4fb396f61d729490548372db151a2cb2.jpg

Ugly things called coconut crabs.  I googled giant tree crab and came up with this - I've seen it online before, but don't want to ever encounter one in person!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Ugly things called coconut crabs.  I googled giant tree crab and came up with this - I've seen it online before, but don't want to ever encounter one in person!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry!  One thing I think we are safe from on the prairies!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Not even sure a mamma can love that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

@rafinmd

Hi everyone - Miracles do happen.  My BIL’s mother is in her 90’s.  We were warned that the 10th day was the big one and to be prepared.

She has just been given the “all clear”.  And I am happily ecstatic to say you can take her off the Care list, Roy.

She is safe.  My sister, BIL and I are all so grateful for your prayers and caring.

So I guess it is a “your dreams can come true day” and a “skeptics day” at the same time.

Many, many thanks to all of you for caring ❤️ 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I guess I am celebrating "Dreams Come True" as I just finished the on-line scheduling for "the jab."  I will be getting it on Friday morning.  Giving myself a break, as I had a Dermatologist appointment today.  Tomorrow is the lawyer to sign a re-written will!  I was definitely a skeptic about ever getting the vaccine!

I was in the liquor store today buying some wine.  Didn't "spring" for any of the $$$ wines, but just went with my regular!  Saw several that have been mentioned, so I am going to have to start making a list of some I would like to try.  Can't decide between a tar and gravel taste, or a cement taste?!?!  (Some of the descriptions are so humorous!)

@Copper10-8, when you talk about rolling seas, ask someone sometime about the May, 2011 Volendam trip from Vladivostok, Russia across the Bering Sea to Kodiak, AK?  We were in a Force 12 storm for 4 days in 40-50 ft seas!  Fun ride!  But my DH and I never missed a meal, unlike about 60% of the balance of the passengers.

Happy for those celebrating, and sending prayers for those in need.  Have a great evening everyone.

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

@rafinmd

Hi everyone - Miracles do happen.  My BIL’s mother is in her 90’s.  We were warned that the 10th day was the big one and to be prepared.

She has just been given the “all clear”.  And I am happily ecstatic to say you can take her off the Care list, Roy.

She is safe.  My sister, BIL and I are all so grateful for your prayers and caring.

So I guess it is a “your dreams can come true day” and a “skeptics day” at the same time.

Jacqui, how wonderful! Let’s hope the good news continues for Marley tomorrow. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Ome og my regrets is that I was never Chaplain on a ship when you were serving in security. 

I would have given you the grand "behind the scenes" tour Father 😉 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

@rafinmd

That is very good news.

• Like 4