Random Thoughts on Vaccine Progress

KennyFla

I just read (somewhere) that at current supply Florida will get 1 million doses a month.  This seems right as we are in our fourth week and 775k shots have been given (counting second shots).  So let's take worst case, 1 million per month.  If more types get approved, production increases, could be more.

The amount of people in Fla 65 and over is approx 4.3million.  This means that by the end of April, most of front line workers and over 65 should be vaccinated.

Why is this important?  The over 65 people that have the virus are the ones filling the hospitals and having the worst reactions(for the worst part).  Once the hospitals start to empty and the worst reactions end the cruise industry will seriously look to re-start.  I believe you will have to be vaccinated to get on a ship, at least at first.

So, end of May?  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

California is doing a terrible job of getting the vaccine to the public. Only 2%of the population has been vaccinated.  Only 26% of the available supply has been administered.   74% goes unused.   At this rate it will be 2121 before I cruise. 

As the hospitals fill up with younger people...

"Ohio researchers say they’ve identified two new Covid strains likely originating in the U.S.

Researchers in Ohio said Wednesday that they’ve discovered two new variants of the coronavirus that likely originated in the U.S. — one of which quickly became the dominant strain in Columbus, Ohio, over a three-week period in late December and early January..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/ohio-researchers-say-theyve-identified-two-new-covid-strains-likely-originating-in-the-us.html

I don't think the current vaccine distribution process in Florida (at least in my part - Fort Lauderdale) supports your rosy outlook but I hope I'm wrong.  I'm concerned about availability now that we have reached the timing for those who received their first dose in the very initial distribution stage to be administered the second dose.  I don't see the number of vaccines administered increasing correspondingly and most of our major medical centers have on-line notes saying they are awaiting the vaccine and not even taking appointments.  So while Florida has been allocated enough vaccine to vaccinate 33% of the current prioritized population it has administered less than half the doses.

According to the Washington Post's daily tracking of vaccine distribution by state, https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/, as of yesterday in Florida:

At least 774,485 first doses have been administered,
covering 15.0% of the prioritized population (5.3 million)...
and 3.6% of the state’s population.

Florida has been allocated 1,739,225 first doses,
enough to vaccinate 33.0% of the prioritized population...
and 8.1% of the state’s population.

The article is free (no paywall) on the Post's website (www.washingtonpost.com) if anyone is interested in seeing their state's statistics.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From an article published  2 days ago:

"DeSantis has said he hopes that by February, most of Florida’s initial priority group — including older adults — will be immunized and that vaccines will then be available to more people. AARP is fighting for older Americans to be prioritized in getting COVID-19 vaccines because the science has shown that older people are at higher risk of death.

Where can I get a vaccine?  

Shots are being administered at certain hospitals, long-term care facilities and through county health departments. DeSantis announced on Jan. 13 that vaccines will soon be available at several Publix Pharmacy locations throughout the state. Contact your county health department to determine if and where you can get a vaccine. 

Once that more vaccine doses are available, Florida plans to set up mass vaccination clinics and may partner with other pharmacies, community health centers and correctional facilities. Some counties have already set up drive-through vaccine sites similar to those currently used for COVID-19 testing."

Aggressive goal.  Hope he can pull it off.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, KennyFla said:

.  I believe you will have to be vaccinated to get on a ship, at least at first.

So, end of May?  Just my 2 cents.

So you will have to be 65+ and be from Florida to cruise when it restarts? I don't know how things are going in Florida but in other parts of the country and the world vaccinations are available at a very slow rate. I can't see a mandatory vaccination requirement working until 2022 at this point. Too many people would have to cancel to due to lack of access to vaccine.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, sanger727 said:

So you will have to be 65+ and be from Florida to cruise when it restarts? I don't know how things are going in Florida but in other parts of the country and the world vaccinations are available at a very slow rate. I can't see a mandatory vaccination requirement working until 2022 at this point. Too many people would have to cancel to due to lack of access to vaccine.

I believe what you say about a lot of people not being able to cruise because they do not have access to a vaccine.  But an outbreak on a US cruise upon re-start would be catastrophic to the industry.  If you are the cruise line, at this point you would take the most foolproof course.

Hopefully everybody that wants the vaccine will be able to get it by summer.

Although kids are not a high risk group, I wonder when cruises do start up again, will they require everyone to be vaccinated to get on (it is not recommended for kids uner 16/18 depending on the vaccine, to be vaccinated), or maybe just a negative covid test prior to.

I have an August cruise booked this year and with the supply chain slowed down for a few months, due to Pfzier building a new facility, it pushes out when the majority of us will be vaccinated. 

Just saw this:

"In addition, Saga has confirmed it will require that all guests must be fully vaccinated. This means that guests must have received their full two doses of the COVID‑19 vaccination at least 14 days before travelling with the company."

10 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Just saw this:

"In addition, Saga has confirmed it will require that all guests must be fully vaccinated. This means that guests must have received their full two doses of the COVID‑19 vaccination at least 14 days before travelling with the company."

I read the article as well and since this is a small luxury cruise line, I can understand the concern for caution. I am sure since it is UK based that many in the UK will already have their vaccinations. It appears there is an older passenger demographic and I am guessing they are trying to protect those who are older.

46.7 years

According to the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Global Passenger Report, the average age of cruise passenger was 46.7 years old – holding steady from the previous two years. However, 40 to 49-year-olds make up only 15% of all cruise passengers for that year.Aug 22, 2019

On 1/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, Host Carolyn said:

This isn't about MSC but will leave as long as it doesn't get political!!!  Vaccination will hopefully lead to cruising starting up so that's my stretch for leeaving. So please no political stuff...😏

Sad to see that this forum now allows threads like this.

We had a good run CruiseCritic. Im out.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, Host Carolyn said:

This isn't about MSC but will leave as long as it doesn't get political!!!  Vaccination will hopefully lead to cruising starting up so that's my stretch for leeaving. So please no political stuff...😏

Carolyn, this is completely off topic but I do not know who to get in contact about this - in the past when I posted there was an icon that gave me the opportunity to correct something such as a typo if I clicked Submit before I carefully reread my post. That option is no longer available to me. How do I get it back?

On 1/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, Host Carolyn said:

I agree that when people bring blatant political partisanship into the forum, it's unwelcome. Thank you to @Host Carolyn for the reminder to steer clear of politics. That said, I think to the extent that we are all (or mostly) cruise lovers, there's nothing wrong with pointing out how various policy proposals might have a positive or negative effect on an industry we love. In the United States, some moves by some governors have been better for the travel/tourism sector than others. Similarly, a change in the administration in the US might signal a different approach on restarting cruising from the US and on the availability of a COVID-19 vaccine. I hope discussing these issues (in a civil manner) won't be seen as an "illegal" instance of bringing politics into Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cellfree said:

... there was an icon that gave me the opportunity to correct something such as a typo if I clicked Submit before I carefully reread my post.

Click the three dots to the right of your post number.  An edit option will pop up if it has been less than 20 or so minutes since posting.

Edit.thumb.jpg.61884ca819e335f2b1e8ecd5e902f81b.jpg

Edited by Até

3 minutes ago, Até said:

Click the three dots to the right of your post number.  An edit option will pop up if it has been less than 20 or so minutes since posting.

Ate, ty, will try, test post. 
Worked.

Edited by cellfree

2 hours ago, RealNorwegianCruiser said:

Sad to see that this forum now allows threads like this.

We had a good run CruiseCritic. Im out.

The problem is there is almost zero to talk about when it comes to cruising. When it comes to cruising the major issue is the pandemic. I'm sure when cruising starts up CC will go back to normal. 🍹

Edited by ReneeFLL

15 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I read the article as well and since this is a small luxury cruise line, I can understand the concern for caution. I am sure since it is UK based that many in the UK will already have their vaccinations. It appears there is an older passenger demographic and I am guessing they are trying to protect those who are older.

46.7 years

According to the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Global Passenger Report, the average age of cruise passenger was 46.7 years old – holding steady from the previous two years. However, 40 to 49-year-olds make up only 15% of all cruise passengers for that year.Aug 22, 2019

I guess I'm looking at it from the cruise line's point of view.  You can 1)Sail with greater restrictions, distancing, extra cleaning/sanitizing protocals.  Or 2) Require everyone on board to be vaccinated and go back to the way things used to be (or close to it)

It may depend on the next, say 90 days, how the vaccine rollout is going and if there are enough available customers by May 1st.

Another point, you eliminate the risk of an out break on board and the whole ship being put into quarantine.  Isn't that why there are no cruises now?

Edited by KennyFla

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I guess I'm looking at it from the cruise line's point of view.  You can 1)Sail with greater restrictions, distancing, extra cleaning/sanitizing protocals.  Or 2) Require everyone on board to be vaccinated and go back to the way things used to be (or close to it)

It may depend on the next, say 90 days, how the vaccine rollout is going and if there are enough available customers by May 1st.

Another point, you eliminate the risk of an out break on board and the whole ship being put into quarantine.  Isn't that why there are no cruises now?

Kenny ... From everything I have read so far the vaccine only protects those who have it from getting a more serious form of the illness, it does not stop you getting the virus nor does it stop you from passing it on so I cannot see how the risk is eliminated given these circumstances. I think far too many people seem to believe that this vaccine is some sort of miracle cure when the reality is that  it will have to be given yearly like the flu vaccine. Friends who had their first jab this week now have to wait 12 weeks for the second one! 

50 minutes ago, sidari said:

Kenny ... From everything I have read so far the vaccine only protects those who have it from getting a more serious form of the illness, it does not stop you getting the virus nor does it stop you from passing it on so I cannot see how the risk is eliminated given these circumstances. I think far too many people seem to believe that this vaccine is some sort of miracle cure when the reality is that  it will have to be given yearly like the flu vaccine. Friends who had their first jab this week now have to wait 12 weeks for the second one! 

Yes.  I'm not a doctor, but nothing can prevent you from breathing in a virus (unless you want to live inside a plastic bag).  What a vaccine does is let your body be ready for the virus (that by itself is an amazing thing well worth researching) so that when the virus is detected your cells construct the correct antibody that quickly attacks the virus.  This prevents you from getting sick(or very sick).

We all still breathe in things that we were vaccinated against as kids, they just don't make us sick like in the past.  If everyone on the cruise is vaccinated, they are all protected just like they are against the mumps or polio, etc.

From the WHO:

"Vaccinated people are protected from getting the disease in question and passing on the pathogen, breaking any chains of transmission. Visit our webpage on COVID-19 and vaccines for more detail. "

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 2