Grandiosa in April?

Cruisesfun65

Spanish ports are still closed and it is likely that only those from the Schengen zone will be allowed to travel, Grandiosa is due to start cruises again from the 20 th January but it may only visit Italian ports if it gets the go ahead. End of May start of June may see a few more ships sailing but the ports are the issue.

• Like 1

My guess:  Grandiosa will still be sailing the current itinerary from Italian ports (plus Malta) in April, and as long as you are residents of a Schengen country you will be given the opportunity to rebook to that cruise (or take a voucher/refund).

11 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Good evening cruisers!

I know you don't have a crystal ball, but we are booked on Grandiosa out of Barcelona on April 3rd 2021. 

European citizens. What would you say will happen?

Italy has just announced that the lockdown will probably continue until at least Easter.  France, Spain, and Germany have all increased lockdown and curfew rules.  Vaccine rollout continues to be slower than planned.  Unless there is a major change there is virtually no chance of cruising in April no matter what the cruise lines say.  Most ports are closed and likely to remain that way for several more months.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware there is no cruise ban in Italy, however between Dec 21st and Jan 15th there were restrictions on Italians leaving their towns and cities, meaning passengers could not reach ports to board.  I thought the restrictions were now loosened.

I'm somehow confident that Grandiosa will restart cruising on 24th January.

13 minutes ago, hamrag said:

😲 😲

I was too optimistic. The ban on traveling between Italian regions was extended until 15th February 2 hours ago.  I don’t think MDC will restart cruises on 24th January as people won’t be able to get to the port. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 8420PR said:

I was too optimistic. The ban on traveling between Italian regions was extended until 15th February 2 hours ago.  I don’t think MDC will restart cruises on 24th January as people won’t be able to get to the port. 

Hence the two 'astonished face' emojis used in my post!

• Like 1

A January 4th press release announcing special lowered pricing makes me think MSC was/is having trouble getting people to book Grandiosa.  But then again the prices are now back up again, even on sailings before February 15th that we know are going to be cancelled.  I found the quote by the MSC Managing Director a little questionable.

"Restaurants, fitness, wellness center, theater, entertainment, miniclub, swimming pools, entertainment and much more: the cruise experience is not affected by the strict rules of the safety protocol provided on board the ship. It is therefore possible to enjoy a relaxing holiday with the possibility of doing activities that are not possible on land in this period, always in full compliance with safety regulations...."

http://www.mscpressarea.com/it_IT/press-releases/3739

I'm a bit confused as to what was actually extended in Italy.  I do know the holiday travel ban was extended to January 15th but cannot find documentation it was extended beyond that.  I found one news article stating the Italian state of emergency enacted in January, 2020 and was to expire at the end of this month was extended until April 30, 2021.  But this only keeps the ability of the central government to set travel rules more easily.  So far I can't find any information that the Council of Ministers have further extended the actual travel ban, enacted for the holidays, past January 15th.

17 hours ago, Até said:

I'm a bit confused as to what was actually extended in Italy.  I do know the holiday travel ban was extended to January 15th but cannot find documentation it was extended beyond that.  I found one news article stating the Italian state of emergency enacted in January, 2020 and was to expire at the end of this month was extended until April 30, 2021.  But this only keeps the ability of the central government to set travel rules more easily.  So far I can't find any information that the Council of Ministers have further extended the actual travel ban, enacted for the holidays, past January 15th.

Things are a bit confused at the moment as to what is allowed and what is banned.  Italy is still in lockdown.  Borders are closed for the most part.  14 day quarantine is still required if arriving from a "high risk" area.  (most of the Schengen zone is considered high risk) 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, 8420PR said:

As far as I am aware there is no cruise ban in Italy, however between Dec 21st and Jan 15th there were restrictions on Italians leaving their towns and cities, meaning passengers could not reach ports to board.  I thought the restrictions were now loosened.

I'm somehow confident that Grandiosa will restart cruising on 24th January.

You must have a crystal ball just read on MSC YC FB Grandiosa will restart on Jan 24th

MSC has been stating Grandiosa would restart on January 24th since earlier this month, January 7th to be precise.  The 24th restart date was the result of both the 10th and 17th sailings getting cancelled due to extension of the Italian regional travel ban implemented for the holidays.  The point that was in question was the proposition in post #8 that the travel ban was extended to February 15th.  MSC today put out another press release stating they are able to keep the January 24th restart date.

http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_INT/press-releases/3750

http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_INT

I think I was wrong to state that the travel ban is extended until 15th February - it looks like only 3 regions are now in red status (Lombardy, Sicily and South Tirol) where travel restrictions apply.  People in all other regions (as well as a few EU countries) are able to travel to the ports and join cruises.

https://www.thelocal.it/20210115/italy-declares-three-regions-red-zones-as-restrictions-tighten

The Spanish PM stated last week they'll not be looking to allow international tourists until the end of the summer. Obviously all is very changeable in the current climate but that was his update to the World Tourism Event. 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/01/21/spain-wont-welcome-tourists-until-the-end-of-the-summer/?fbclid=IwAR02LKnclKL8hWq3jmufoNKpzQ4lQ9byZmdcaHRT5BLzgE2mcq9beayjmR0

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Like 1