The Daily for Friday Jan 15, 2021

richwmn

Just a quick post for now.  @StLouis Cruiser, glad you see the need for concern for your MIL for the 85 O2 reading.  I cared for my DH for 3 years under Hospice guidance, and I knew if he was even at 87-88, that I had to "up" the O2 flow!  Glad they got her back into the higher 90;s!  She will be in my prayers for sure.

Off to the Health Department shortly for my "jab" and when I get back will be on Standby for Red Cross.

Have a great day.

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning everyone. Thanks Rich. So windy here that I was woken up before the sun even thought about coming up. So no hats today or they will sail away.

Last August (2019) my Empress of the Seas was in Costa Maya with the (RIP) Carnival Fantasy.  I was amused by this sign outside Fantasy's gangway:

hats.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!

@cat shepardI had to do a double take when you said your temp was - 42 and realized it was a dash not a negative number, and you live in Florida and not the "frozen tundra"!!  😄

We had some concerning news last night about my MIL who has Covid and is in quarantine in her nursing facility.  DH's sister got an update call from the nurse, who said MIL was found on the floor (fell out of wheelchair) and had a tiny cut over her eyebrow.  Then she said her oxygen level was 85 so they gave her some oxygen and she was okay.  SisterIL felt that all was fine and it was a good report.  I told DH an oxygen level of 85 in a Covid patient who is 94 years old is terrible news so we called and talked to the night nurse.  He told us yes 85 is not a good number but they still had her on oxygen and she was now up to 96, so we all agreed that was a much better report than earlier in the day.  I texted SIL and told her what the night nurse said and she seemed confused over our concern over the 85 number.  She said she thought 70-100 was good, but I believe that is a different testing procedure  (not the pulse oximeter we all have done at the doctor's office where they put the clamp on your finger to test oxygen levels - am I right?).  At any rate, any prayers you can give for my feisty MIL would be appreciated.

So sorry to hear this.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a love/hate relationship with today's days. I love bagels but hate hats. I think one of the first things I ever wrote in kindergarten was this:  "I hate my hat. My hat is hot."  (My mom saved it for years....)

Since it is too late for breakfast, I think I'm going to have egg salad on an everything bagel for my lunch. 😍

No mixed feelings about humanitarian day though -- we should appreciate all the people who've worked so hard to get us through COVID in many different capacities and despite all the mixed messages -- from doctors and health care workers (and veterinarians), researchers, and teachers, to bus drivers, essential employees, grocery store workers, truckers who keep things stocked, and those who work in or contribute to food banks and homeless shelters. 

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

At any rate, any prayers you can give for my feisty MIL would be appreciated.

You have them!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 14

We got a fair bit of snow yesterday, but it was near freezing or slightly above so it was wet and sloppy. It is 35F now and there are still a few flakes falling. Quite messy out on the roads!

Today was a sea day for us in 2019. I don't have any pictures from that day, but here is one from 2015 and a bonus Key West butterfly!

DSC_0277.thumb.JPG.32275e675a5a5b491f926f9e4f1b7464.JPG

DSC_0131.thumb.JPG.346fa8001c66f0d754abc8707c988fc2.JPG

• Like 21

Good morning. It is sunny here and cold. I am happy when it gets up to 42.... feels like Spring. We are supposed to get some stormy weather next week but I am will believe it when it arrives. We are so very dry. Next summer's wildfire season is going to be awful.

Have been trying to get on the list for the shots but no luck. Have a Dr.'s appointment in about an hour and see what he says. Just glad for the dogs..... at least they give me someone to talk to. When they answer me I will start to worry.

Susan

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Good morning, all, and thanks for the Daily thread.  It starts my day out right.  We are nearing the end of a two-week diet, so perhaps that is the reason, but I am feeling very pessimistic about our situation at the moment.  But next week the Provincial Health Officer will be announcing the schedule for vaccinations, and the province may possibly close the border to all the people coming here to ski!  The slopes are crowded.

Our DD has bought oximeters for us to use at home - the first time I tried to use it I got in the low 90's and she got very upset.  I found I have to put it on my thumb to get a good reading.   I imagine they are not true medical oximeters, but interesting.  

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, and thanks for the Daily thread.  It starts my day out right.  We are nearing the end of a two-week diet, so perhaps that is the reason, but I am feeling very pessimistic about our situation at the moment.  But next week the Provincial Health Officer will be announcing the schedule for vaccinations, and the province may possibly close the border to all the people coming here to ski!  The slopes are crowded.

Our DD has bought oximeters for us to use at home - the first time I tried to use it I got in the low 90's and she got very upset.  I found I have to put it on my thumb to get a good reading.   I imagine they are not true medical oximeters, but interesting.  

PS  First eagle baby is due in about 5 days!

Haha - Meant that to be an edit, not a quote..  Just my day.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 10

Good morning all!

Humanitarians should be celebrated every day, but especially now. I can't admire them more. 

I'm not a fan of bagels, which is probably good .. I doubt they're good for diabetics 😉  but DH likes them now and then.  Also don't like to wear anything on my head, but will if it's cold enough.  As always cold is relative and for me to wear a hat it would have to be close to 0 and windy. 

Rainbow Trout is on the menu for tonight.  We were too slow to find any for New Year's Eve I guess a lot of others had the same idea for that night.

We have another very welcome dry weather forecast today with a high of 50.  I think I'll get the firepit out and see how many neighbors would like a 'round the fire visit.

Encouraging news last night, WA state will be moving into Phase 1b "within a few days".  DH and I will be signing up for our jabs as soon as that happens.  So far we haven't been able to sign up because we don't fall within the 1a group.

@StLouisCruisersprayers for your feisty MIL.  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 12

Today's sunrise is from my Cunard transatlantic prelude to my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise.  July 15 on Queen Victoria was a sea day between Porto Delgada and Port Canaveral:

dawn0115.jpg

Roy

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

and the province may possibly close the border to all the people coming here to ski!  The slopes are crowded.

Maybe I'm a bit slow this morning, but if the border is already closed, how are people coming up to ski??  The skis on top of the cars would be a sure clue as to their reason for crossing the border....

DD and DSIL love to ski at Whistler but of course this year haven't been able to do that. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Maybe I'm a bit slow this morning, but if the border is already closed, how are people coming up to ski??  The skis on top of the cars would be a sure clue as to their reason for crossing the border....

DD and DSIL love to ski at Whistler but of course this year haven't been able to do that. 

Many of those on the slopes are from other parts of Canada, people not understanding that they need to stay home. So far, other than the Maritime provinces, there are no restrictions in place for interprovincial travel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, superoma said:

Many of those on the slopes are from other parts of Canada, people not understanding that they need to stay home. So far, other than the Maritime provinces, there are no restrictions in place for interprovincial travel

Oh!  Duh, I hear the word border and immediately think between Canada and the US.  Thanks!

• Like 6

Good afternoon and Happy TGIF Dailyites!

So much to read when you start late. This group lifts up, encourages and humors us all. Thank you so very much.

@StLouisCruisers  Definitely sending good vibes to you and your feisty MIL! So glad she has such an extensive and responsive support group monitoring her situation.

Days/Quote/Food & Drink: I personally would like every day be a Bagel Day. Perhaps it's a good thing that good bagels are an hour away 😜. And I think humanitarians should be appreciated every day. Hats are much more friendly as I age: they keep me warm in the cold months and provide excellent protection from the sun during the warm months.

Inasmuch as we enjoy Shepherd's Pie, Ina Garten is guiding me to Beef Bourguignon this evening.  The Expresso Martini looks divine and would be an excellent choice on a blue hulled beauty, but we are at home and lacking some of the ingredients. I am hopeful that the excellent In House Chief Bartender will prepare an excellent vodka martini before dinner. And dinner will be accompanied by not the suggested Pinot Noir, but a more budget-friendly Cotes-du-Rhone, LOL!

Our Big News is that we received a call from the county yesterday, following up on DH's survey questionnaire for the vaccine (he's in the 75+ group). Woo Hoooo! As he set the appointment up for Jab #1, the scheduler informed him that I am also eligible because the governor had just modified the rollout an hour or two earlier. Being over 65 but in the same household, we are both scheduled for Wednesday, January 20th. So we will be celebrating many things on that day!!

Stay safe everyone, And please, wear a mask.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes, sorry, I meant the provincial border.  Our premier said in the past that provincial borders should remain open, but the Maritime bubble has been tested in courts and upheld, so it is a possibility.  We see quite a few Alberta license plates here in Victoria, too.  I think our weather is a little milder here than Alberta's!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, sorry, I meant the provincial border.  Our premier said in the past that provincial borders should remain open, but the Maritime bubble has been tested in courts and upheld, so it is a possibility.  We see quite a few Alberta license plates here in Victoria, too.  I think our weather is a little milder here than Alberta's!!

I don't think that would be allowed here but many of our states have discouraged interstate travel.  New York has put in restrictions for people going in from out of state to quarantine and/or get tested when arriving and enforcing it with calls to the places where they're supposed to be quarantined but that's the only one I know of.  Maryland has similar restrictions but they're on the honor system.

Roy

• Like 6