Travel Insurance

Smitheroo

Can someone share their knowledge and opinion of travel insurance. In the past I havent worried about having it.   I have heard so many if, ands, or buts about it that I'm confused.  Of all the policies I look at  there doesnt seem to be much coverage for medical and medical evacuation.  My Medicare Supplement covers a certain amount of medical, with a $250 deductible.  The policies I've seen dont add much to what I have.  I could pay for routine issues like a small injury. Medical evacuation is the costly part. If I was seriously ill I would want to be transported home when I was stable. My daughter was flown from her home to a regional hospital, about a 1 hr flight and it cost close to $100,000 (yes,her health insurance covered it)   I'm 70 yrs old, World Nomads wont even cover me.   I dont have to pay the rest of my ticket until September. I think we might have an idea how the pandemic recover is going. I'm booked for 1/3/22.  My nonrefundable  deposit was $241 and I am willing to risk that.   I am even willing to risk the entire fare (about $2,000) if there are many exclusions to the policy.  But the medical side is a worry.  I checked my credit cards and they do have trip cancellation insurance as long as you paid with that card (which I would have)  I've already waited too long to include pre-existing conditions on a travel policy (and I have a few conditions but nothing super serious)  Help, please!

Edited by Smitheroo
typo

Cunard offers Cunard care which sold by the voyage  should take care of you. Some years back a lady I knew on several Cunard trips had a stroke in Belgium. Cunard's insurance carrier got her to the hospital and later when she had recovered enough to travel sent her home business class with a companion to see that she got home safely at no additional cost to her.  Check with your travel arranger or Cunard directly. I am 76 and get it for every voyage. 

Edited by Bigmike911

Someone on the QM forum advised against Cunard Care.  I have also read that that you should not get your travel insurance from the company you booked the cruise with. But it sounds like you are confident it is a good choice.  I will take another look.  

When I look at any travel policy I first look at the Medical Limits and whether the medical covers pre existing conditions.  As to limits, I believe the Cunard policy only covers $20,000 of medical expense.  Why some might be happy with that coverage, I want at least $100,000 of medical coverage,  While $20,000 sounds like a lot, it can easily be used up with a single emergency.  

Many folks have little choice but to use cruise line policies because of their advanced age.  But otherwise, we suggest looking around for higher medical limits.  Keep in mind that most of the items covered in overall travel policies will not bankrupt folks but unexpected medical expenses are unlimited and are the leading cause of personal  bankruptcy in the US.   If you lose the cost of a cruise you will be OK (financially) since you had planned to spend that money anyway.   But get hit with a $100,000 or $200,000 medical bill and it may well be a different story,  Also keep in mind that when you are hospitalized in most foreign countries, they expect you to pay the entire hospital bill before you are discharged.  Most travel insurance policies do not pay hospitals..so you must somehow come up with the big bucks and then seek reimbursement at a later date (and it can take months to settle an insurance claim). 

Hank

18 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Can someone share their knowledge and opinion of travel insurance. In the past I havent worried about having it.   I have heard so many if, ands, or buts about it that I'm confused.

Hi Smitheroo,

You can learn a lot about travel insurance by reading older threads here on CruiseCritic (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/).

In addition, for more detailed information with answers to specific questions, here's the Cruise Critic Q & A I did in June 2020:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2484-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2020/

And, I'm doing another Q & A here for January 2021:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-january-2021/

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you, I will check everything out. I have learned quite a bit more since posting and it makes more sense.  I think I will go for the medical policy only.   I'm not investing a huge amount of money in fares and dont have a lot of connections that could mess with plans.