Covid-19 vaccinations

bbwex

I know that some people are able to get their vaccinations already in some parts of the country, but I wanted to pass along that the VA, at least here in Pittsburgh, had a vaccination open house today for qualified veterans.  That would be people already in VA care in one form or another, or others who qualify.  There is an income limit to qualify, but there are exceptions for people who were in Vietnam, veterans of the Persian Gulf war between 90 and 98, and some more recent vets.  If you qualify, you might want to get in touch with your local VA hospital to see if they offer anything.

Also, when you get your shot, you are given a card, slightly smaller than an index card, that is a vaccination record.  It is put out by the CDC.

Along those lines we had signed up for notifications from Safeway and local county health care provider only 3 days ago. Because we were signed up for notification about when shots can be scheduled we got an email from local Safeway that they are open for booking. We booked for 1/20 - feel very fortunate (if it works out as planned).

Check with all your local providers - Safeway, CVS, Walgreens, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Just want to inform those "worrying", I had my 2nd Vaccine injection past Monday; no negative side effects either shots except for soreness of arm for about 24-36 hours. Recommend everybody get it without hesitation 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, docmark said:

Just want to inform those "worrying", I had my 2nd Vaccine injection past Monday; no negative side effects either shots except for soreness of arm for about 24-36 hours. Recommend everybody get it without hesitation 

This is good news. But, I am a touch hesitant only because of the reported concerns that the States may not currently have an adequate stock of the second shots on hand.

1 hour ago, docmark said:

Which one did you get?

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is good news. But, I am a touch hesitant only because of the reported concerns that the States may not currently have an adequate stock of the second shots on hand.

That is my concern too. We also got the Pfizer.  Our county did 4500 in a 3 day clip, plus another 1500 at various Churches in the county.  So in 2 more weeks they will need another lot of 6000 doses.

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Along those lines we had signed up for notifications from Safeway and local county health care provider only 3 days ago. Because we were signed up for notification about when shots can be scheduled we got an email from local Safeway that they are open for booking. We booked for 1/20 - feel very fortunate (if it works out as planned).

Check with all your local providers - Safeway, CVS, Walgreens, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Not in So Calif...... told to wait months to try...  any source.      And to get an appointment you have to be very computer savvy... have special skill and gizmos  or  your denied....  This is criminal    My best hope is to get arrested as they are giving priority to prisoners and homeless...   Living in California is very not good

• Like 4

For those worried about only cruising only if everyone on the ship has been vaccinated, if you have to fly to get to your cruise, not everyone on the plane will be vaccinated. AA is not requiring their flight attendants and pilots to take the vaccine, they are allowing them to opt out. Not sure about the other airlines. If airline employees don't have to be vaccinated fly then passengers can't be required to be.

https://viewfromthewing.com/dont-expect-american-airlines-to-require-vaccination-for-travel-they-wont-require-it-for-employees/

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

For those worried about only cruising only if everyone on the ship has been vaccinated, if you have to fly to get to your cruise, not everyone on the plane will be vaccinated. AA is not requiring their flight attendants and pilots to take the vaccine, they are allowing them to opt out. Not sure about the other airlines. If airline employees don't have to be vaccinated fly then passengers can't be required to be.

https://viewfromthewing.com/dont-expect-american-airlines-to-require-vaccination-for-travel-they-wont-require-it-for-employees/

Unless the USA allows a cruise ship to do a r/t cruise to nowhere from the USA without having to go to a foreign destination (remember the Jones Act), the destination ports will have a say, a very strong say.  They will say everyone must be vaccinated.  Since the virus is most deadly to those 60 or over, those people will be mostly vaccinated.  Almost all cruise line caters to those 60 and over, so it is not a huge burden on most passengers.  Despite what you believe in, you are going to have make a choice between cruising and not being vaccinated.  It's one or other, but not both.  That's the world you will be facing.  Eventually, cruise lines may eventually remove this requirement when herd immunity is reach and the disease somehow disappears, but that may take a few years or decades.  For you there may be no good choice.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Unless the USA allows a cruise ship to do a r/t cruise to nowhere from the USA without having to go to a foreign destination (remember the Jones Act), the destination ports will have a say, a very strong say.  They will say everyone must be vaccinated.  Since the virus is most deadly to those 60 or over, those people will be mostly vaccinated.  Almost all cruise line caters to those 60 and over, so it is not a huge burden on most passengers.  Despite what you believe in, you are going to have make a choice between cruising and not being vaccinated.  It's one or other, but not both.  That's the world you will be facing.  Eventually, cruise lines may eventually remove this requirement when herd immunity is reach and the disease somehow disappears, but that may take a few years or decades.  For you there may be no good choice.

The Jones Act? That would be associated with shipping of goods/cargo (aka the Merchant Marine Act). For cruise ships, what you are referring to would be the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If I remember correctly, it’s been around since the 1880s.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For cruise ships, what you are referring to would be the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If I remember correctly, it’s been around since the 1880s

...and probably time to get rid of it.

Times change and we should change with them.

• Like 2

Deadzone: I am not at all concerned with cruising or traveling without a vaccine, but a number of people here on CC are. My husband age71 got his first jab 2 days ago because he is a retired health care worker who may go back to work part time. I am 66 and considered an essential worker but I am not expecting to be vaccinated for 6 months or longer. Lack of vaccine is not stopping me from traveling, only from taking a cruise. By the time I am vaccinated I will have been to Costa Rica and Namibia for vacations.

My point was the parties who you think are making the rules and which you think are doing it perhaps arbitrarily are pretty much forced into it if they want their business model to work.  We don't seem to differ too much on many things said in the past.  I'm glad you are not afraid to speak your mind.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, Paulchili said:

Good for you. Paul.

Our county has opened up an on line wait list and as a result 32,000 people are already signed up.  This weekend 1500 received the phone call and were vaccinated.

Having the government handle distribution and vaccination is the same as having FEMA manage a Hurricane disaster.  Relief will come but you will be several years older when it does.

What they should really do is turn this over to the supermarkets that have pharmacies, CVS, Walgreens and Walmart.  They have the distribution network and the motive to get people inoculated and get a reward payment.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, Paulchili said:

Sadly, Santa Clara county is a total CF with sticking arms with needles 😞

Thanks for your suggestions but none of those sites would help us (> 65 with previous conditions). We have had 6 weeks to vaccinate front line hero's but this is taking way to loooooong. We should be hitting 50,000 arms a day but can't do even a small percentile of that now.

This is interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. 

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/more-than-40000-in-florida-overdue-for-2nd-dose-of-coronavirus-vaccine/

More than 40,000 people in Florida are overdue to receive their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine

“I heard there are some seniors balking at getting the second shot because they’ve heard that the side effects are worse with the second shot,” Seminole County EMS Medical Director Todd Husty said.

Appears a bad batch of Moderna vaccine has pop up around Sacramento.  People are getting allergic reactions so far.  

Here is the link:  https://www.foxla.com/news/california-official-calls-for-pause-on-specific-moderna-vaccine-due-to-possible-allergic-reaction

I don't think this is unusual as bad batch of vaccine can show up occasionally despite everyone's best efforts  

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

...and probably time to get rid of it.

Times change and we should change with them.

its been tried many times bit the unions seem to contribute $$$$$$$$$$$ and it never gets voted on....Its  insanity    Its why cargo from Asia has to sail past Hawaii then offload in California  to  either Matson or Horizon ( which is cars mainly) lines  the only 2 allowed US to Hawaii ....  (  Matson is  the Hawaiian word for "Monopoly" )     NCL is exempt  after a  special deal....

5 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

We're hoping to be called for our vaccination(s) before the end of February. Who knows when we'll get the second one before our shape shifting government stops moving the goal posts! 

They just said that the goal is, in UK to get it done by end of september... heard on BBC

4 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Sadly, Santa Clara county is a total CF with sticking arms with needles 😞

Thanks for your suggestions but none of those sites would help us (> 65 with previous conditions). We have had 6 weeks to vaccinate front line hero's but this is taking way to loooooong. We should be hitting 50,000 arms a day but can't do even a small percentile of that now.

Yup...... my county Riverside is out of supply   and just says call back later if you can...  no date even or coordination,   Thats my real problem....   I agree not only CF  but FUBAR

• Like 1