world cruise 2023

roscoe39

There was a WHO map displayed tonight on a news clip  which was discussing the disparity of countries and their state poverty and

when the roll out of the vaccine for COVID would be happening compared to the Worlds First World countries. 

The orange sections are predicted to be when the vaccine will be rolled out to the general population late 2022 and the red, not until the first or second quarter of 2023.

Remembering of course that the roll out could take more than a few months depending on the population and how the Countries do the actual vaccinations. Rollout could take even 6 months or more.

This got me thinking that a lot of Asian ports we have previously done is included in the 2023 rollout section, they have become major stops for World cruises along with most of Africa and Sri Lanca a common stop now that India is problematic with its visa situation.

Cunard may be safe planning a South America voyage for 2023 but to plan sending a ship down from the UK such as the QM2 has done for  the last several years,  in the normal route of South Africa or through the Suez may not be practical due to no safe stops available till  the season of 2024,  South Africa is out, Egypt is out, Sri Lanca is out and a lot of Asia which has been opening up now looks not to be viable if the WHO map is accurate.

I'd love the opportunity to go back to South America and even with our experience in 2020, Id be keen on going back but a full circumnavigation doesn't look possible for a few years yet, I bet the planning department is having a nightmare trying to forward guess routes let alone when they can restart sailing. Crystal Ball anyone?

IMG-8251.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

There was a WHO map displayed tonight on a news clip  which was discussing the disparity of countries and their state poverty and

when the roll out of the vaccine for COVID would be happening compared to the Worlds First World countries. 

The orange sections are predicted to be when the vaccine will be rolled out to the general population late 2022 and the red, not until the first or second quarter of 2023.

Remembering of course that the roll out could take more than a few months depending on the population and how the Countries do the actual vaccinations. Rollout could take even 6 months or more.

This got me thinking that a lot of Asian ports we have previously done is included in the 2023 rollout section, they have become major stops for World cruises along with most of Africa and Sri Lanca a common stop now that India is problematic with its visa situation.

Cunard may be safe planning a South America voyage for 2023 but to plan sending a ship down from the UK such as the QM2 has done for  the last several years,  in the normal route of South Africa or through the Suez may not be practical due to no safe stops available till  the season of 2024,  South Africa is out, Egypt is out, Sri Lanca is out and a lot of Asia which has been opening up now looks not to be viable if the WHO map is accurate.

I'd love the opportunity to go back to South America and even with our experience in 2020, Id be keen on going back but a full circumnavigation doesn't look possible for a few years yet, I bet the planning department is having a nightmare trying to forward guess routes let alone when they can restart sailing. Crystal Ball anyone?

IMG-8251.jpg

If New Zealand/Australia to Argentina/Chile was doable, I would plan the Med, Suez, India, Australia, New Zealand, west coast of South America, Panama, Caribbean, US and back to Southampton. It could be fun!

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

But if all passengers and crew have been vaccinated,  what makes it unsafe .

Exactly I travel to countries that  still have TB, polo and other nasty diseases. I don't give it a second thought because all my vaccinations are up to  date. Covid isn't going away - it will always be in the world - just like bubonic plague is (last outbreak Mongolia 2020 - no vaccine its bacterial) . Only smallpox has actually been eradicated, so its always going to be a risk. Just not a very big one. 

5 hours ago, safarigal said:

If New Zealand/Australia to Argentina/Chile was doable, I would plan the Med, Suez, India, Australia, New Zealand, west coast of South America, Panama, Caribbean, US and back to Southampton. It could be fun!

The Pacific will be fine too, as will  Japan, HK, Singapore, Taiwan - so you could do the existing route north from Australia - Japan- Alaska etc 

On 1/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, safarigal said:

well any ship you are on Safrigal would encourage me to join in...lol... my only point about your suggestion is that there would be too many sea days without provisioning or refuelling, its a long hop from the med to Dubai to Australia (if they miss india) and then from Australia if you boomerang back to either South Africa then up the coast without stopping to Portugal at the earliest probably wouldn't be acceptable to most modern cruisers or are not as hardy or interested in sea days like us.

The first trip we did around south america, it came across past easter Island, Pitcairn then the islands, NZ Australia, so maybe to continue South Africa and back to the UK. Pretty well covering all of the Southern Hemisphere in summer. That could be a go but again a lot fo Sea days. Neil would be beside himself organising enough Zumba classes.

For the Queen Elizabeth  Australia up to Japan  then onto Alsaska maybe but would be probably 10 days straight sailing to begin, probably without the asian stops and would not be interesting enough for most and with the number of sea days  more than most cruisers would accept..

UK to South America through the canal and boomeranging back to the UK seems to have the most ports available and for me still an exciting enough trip but then that still leaves 2 other ships, and none doing a circumnavigation...

I dont envy the planning department for the next year or so.

• Like 1