Solo supplement?

travelberlin

Maybe is too early to even consider to cruise again under the current situation, however since I keep receiving cruise offers from Azamara, I wanted to know what those “special offers” were. I found the prices high, for example for a 7 night Croatia starting at Euro 2400 per person. Not really a special deal from my point of view.
In addition I did not find any reference to solo prices. What is the solo supplement for all cruises from Azamara at the moment? Are there also some “specials” for solo cruisers?

Ivi

Hi Ivi. I haven't seen any single deals offered right now. There are quarterly savings through Azamara Circle and the up to 40% off and free WiFi offer, but no solo deals yet. I suspect that as time goes on it will happen when all settles down. Out of interest I looked at the 16 night Iceland cruise in June that is part of the up to 40% and for a cat 05 window it was £4600 which I didn't think bad, but it's still too soon for me to book anything. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hi Ivi. I haven't seen any single deals offered right now. There are quarterly savings through Azamara Circle and the up to 40% off and free WiFi offer, but no solo deals yet. I suspect that as time goes on it will happen when all settles down. Out of interest I looked at the 16 night Iceland cruise in June that is part of the up to 40% and for a cat 05 window it was £4600 which I didn't think bad, but it's still too soon for me to book anything. 

Phil 

Thanks Phil. There are many uncertainties now in relation to Azamara since apparently it has been sold 😔

It might be bad news or it might be an opportunity to do things right. We will see.

Ivi

• Like 2

If a cruise interests you, have your travel agent inquire about solo fares for you. I have been pleasantly surprised more than once with a reduced solo supp on Azamara that was not advertised or promoted on the website.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, avw said:

If a cruise interests you, have your travel agent inquire about solo fares for you. I have been pleasantly surprised more than once with a reduced solo supp on Azamara that was not advertised or promoted on the website.

Same here. You have to go through a mock booking sometimes to see that the cruise has a reduced single supplement. I have seen both 50% and 75% single supplements that weren’t advertised and just showed up when pricing.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:35 AM, avw said:

That's good advice. I've known them to be hidden too.  

Azamara used to be known for 125% solo fares, but all of a sudden they disappeared. Which I can understand if they are filling the ships and no longer needed to do it. What got me was that they continued to advertise the 125% solo fares even though there weren't any and the best you could do was 150%. That's bad. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Hi Phil, I would also like to see some clear, transparent and reasonable solo supplement pricing on Azamara’s website.  Currently you have to go through the first few steps of a booking (a mock booking as ptrpanpens refers to it) on each individual cruise you might be interested in to find out if there is any solo discount.  This makes searching for a good solo deal a little labour intensive.   A check on Azamara’s Canadian website of the 16 Night Iceland cruise you  mention shows a solo supplement of 25% when you compare a 1 guest booking with a 2 guest booking.  Up until recently all cruises offering a solo discount were listed under deals as “Solo Cruise Deals”.  Sometimes I found a number of these listings offered little or no actual solo discount.

Paul

• Like 1

I hope that this is something that Azamara will plan to build into the new standalone IT system they will be building.  There are many things they can do differently, if they want to.  [They could emulate Apple and do things 'different' 😉]

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

When booking the Aegean Pursuit eleven night, October 2021, the solo price was £6687. This booking was made in October 2020.
Browsing today after reading this thread the price is £3835. 
At the same time I also made a second booking for two people for the same sailing. The cost was £8578. The cost today is £4562. 
Same catagory.
The ‘offer’ states 30% discount.  From what pricing? 
No other industry would be allowed to play around with the level of fluid price manipulation and fake discounting that occurs in the cruise industry. 
Clearly the answer to this level of price change is cancel and rebook. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RW75 said:

When booking the Aegean Pursuit eleven night, October 2021, the solo price was £6687. This booking was made in October 2020.
Browsing today after reading this thread the price is £3835. 
At the same time I also made a second booking for two people for the same sailing. The cost was £8578. The cost today is £4562. 
Same catagory.
The ‘offer’ states 30% discount.  From what pricing? 
No other industry would be allowed to play around with the level of fluid price manipulation and fake discounting that occurs in the cruise industry. 
Clearly the answer to this level of price change is cancel and rebook. 

I truly hate it, but am more wise to it now so only pay what I feel it's worth rather that what Azamara do. The pricing differences for the same cruise can be eye watering. And forget the "book early to get the cabin you want" as that's not necessarily true with people vacating their cabin for late paid upgrades.  And for the difference in price I will risk it. 

I've cancelled and rebooked maybe five times with Azamara and it's a pain, but the savings make it totally worth it, even if I have to give up onboard credit. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AND to add to the confusion, their booking engine is sometimes not reflecting the solo price correctly.  One example is the December 23, 2021 Quest sailing.  It is listed as a solo supplement, but when one tries to book it solo, it is double the price.  This has happened before as well .  Maybe Sycamore can improve their process with this (?!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tango9 said:

AND to add to the confusion, their booking engine is sometimes not reflecting the solo price correctly.  One example is the December 23, 2021 Quest sailing.  It is listed as a solo supplement, but when one tries to book it solo, it is double the price.  This has happened before as well .  Maybe Sycamore can improve their process with this (?!)

I've had terrible trouble with it too and sometimes it's worked the other way and one without the solo fare has turned out to have it. And then there was marketing them as125% single supplement when not one on the list was less than 150%. That was something I took up with the then Azamara UK Managing Director and in the end was corrected. 

Phil 

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:05 AM, travelberlin said:

Maybe is too early to even consider to cruise again under the current situation, however since I keep receiving cruise offers from Azamara, I wanted to know what those “special offers” were. I found the prices high, for example for a 7 night Croatia starting at Euro 2400 per person. Not really a special deal from my point of view.
In addition I did not find any reference to solo prices. What is the solo supplement for all cruises from Azamara at the moment? Are there also some “specials” for solo cruisers?

Ivi

Check the Azamara website under “Deals” for current solo rates.  Some cruises have been down to just 100% of the rate for singles (vs the normal 200%). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JsMom2 said:

Check the Azamara website under “Deals” for current solo rates.  Some cruises have been down to just 100% of the rate for singles (vs the normal 200%). 

Thank you. I have just looked and even though it says solo specials at the moment of making the booking the price is double than the double occupancy rate. No discount at all for the voyage that I was interested. For example 8 nights voyage would be almost Euro 7000 for one person in club veranda and about Euro 3000 per person. Again a fake deal? Or is some code needed?

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thank you. I have just looked and even though it says solo specials at the moment of making the booking the price is double than the double occupancy rate. No discount at all for the voyage that I was interested. For example 8 nights voyage would be almost Euro 7000 for one person in club veranda and about Euro 3000 per person. Again a fake deal? Or is some code needed?

It’s not across the board, it is per voyage.   If you believe you are getting the wrong prices online, definitely call in to reservations. 

• Like 2

I just booked a special deal through a travel agent with  a great single discount. I believe when cruises aren't selling sometimes they promote them to travel agents with big solo discounts and/or also put them on their website. On my first cruise with them 3 years ago the single supplement was only $999 or about 20% and it appears similar on this one( although a little harder to figure out since it also includes a safari). However when I cost-compared last week on Azamara for the same cruise there was no single discount offered.

• Like 1