Double First

CeaJay

Hi

My husband and I have never travelled with Saga, or indeed cruised before!

As we have taken early retirement and have no restrictions on our time anymore, we have booked a thirty night Caribbean cruise in 2022.  We loved the look of Spirit of Discovery and just wanted something to look forward to, as like a lot of other people,  our 2020 getaways were cancelled.

We have started thinking about what the cruise will be like and we wondered if there would be a sail away event.  The ship is scheduled to leave Southampton at 6PM.  I have been through the Saga Board but didn’t see any mention about this.  I see that you can’t wear casual clothes after 6 PM so I assume we will have to change into our glad rags if we want to attend the sail away (if there is one)?

The second question I have concerns The Club restaurant.

We like to eat around 8 PM and wondered if we could sit at our table after dinner to listen to the entertainment or is there a separate area we would need to move to?

I’m sure we will have lots more questions as we get nearer to our departure date so please stand by!

You will board the ship around 2pm - 4pm so you will unpack and have a cup of tea or something stronger and perhaps tour your new "home"

Your steward will come and tell you all you need to know.

I don't think you are expected to "dress up" on the first or the final nights of your cruise.

I am not sure what you mean by siting at your table to listen to the entertainment.  There are several areas around the ship for you to watch/listen to the entertainment after dinner. All you need to know is what time the venue of your choice begins the show and go to dinner so that you will finish in time.   (don't over think this new experience, it all slots into place.  If in doubt just ask someone)

Have a lovely first cruise.  It is always the most memorable.  

I hope by 2022 life is calm and. enjoyable for all of us again.

Eating at 8pm, I don't think that there will be anyone booked to take your table after you, in fact I don't remember Saga 'flipping' tables. I don't think that anyone would force you to move on but you might be more comfortable decamping to the bar area. Also, bear in mind, as long as your table is occupied the waiters won't be able to leave.

We often sat in the lounge/bar area of the Club listening to the resident band and singer.

I don't remember a sail away from Southampton but there will be deck parties at sail away in the Caribbean.

Any questions we will do our best to answer.

Thanks for your feedback.  We weren’t sure if the entertainment was away from the dining area or not, so that answers that!  I can see us hanging out in the bar area listening to the band/singer on many evenings.  We have a broad taste in music, everything from Andrea Bocelli to Bruce Springsteen!  

I have enjoyed reading the reviews of previous travellers on the Discovery, hopefully, there will be some more before it is our turn to sail.

2 hours ago, CeaJay said:

EXTRACTED:

I see that you can’t wear casual clothes after 6 PM so I assume we will have to change into our glad rags if we want to attend the sail away (if there is one)?

The 2 dress codes after 6pm are formal (glad rags) and smart-casual. The first and last nights are always smart-casual, so think of what you would put on for a lunch in a reasonably up-market restaurant and wear that.

The weather will probably be against much of a sailaway when leaving Southampton, but there are bound to be some in the Caribbean - unfortunately, the layout of the new ships means that Saga cannot put on the fantastic deck parties in the way they could on the old ships, but I am sure that they will do something.

All the sailaways, Captain's cocktail parties,  are included in your fare. If you like canapes, make sure to attend the welcome cocktail party - there are usually trays and trays of exciting freshly made canapes circulating.

There is usually more than one area with entertainment, the main show will be in the theatre, but there is usually something lower key in the bars and lounges as well - the "Today" programme in your cabin each night will give details of what is on where and when.

Added.

When eating in the speciality restaurants make sure to go in hungry in order to do justice to the food.

They not only serve excellent food, in generous portions, they have  special ambience.

East to West was our favourite, and always feels like a very special treat.

They are not at all "stuffy " - nowhere is on Saga - but they are just that bit special to be worth more than one visit.

That sounds great, thanks very much for the info.

The lower key type entertainment is more our style but we are open to new things too.

The thought of a nice holiday is keeping me going - it’s so gloomy at the moment!

We are looking forward to trying all the restaurants.  We have been looking at some of the sample menus and it all looks delicious.  

On sea days our plan of attack will be to have a light breakfast in our cabin, then hit the gym and the indoor pool.  A little bit of reading, a  pre lunch drink, a snack for lunch.  Maybe a walk around the deck weather permitting.  Hopefully this will make sure we can do dinner justice.  Mind you we are weak willed so we will have to see....

The Discovery has a very good wrap-around promenade (deck 6) - wide enough that you can either walk briskly and overtake, or walk slowly and not get in the way.

An added bonus is that there are doors all the way around, so if there is a sudden downpour there is always a way back in a few yards away.

Plus one very nice touch is the fact that every passenger deck has direct access to the open decks and the aft stairway running from deck 6 all the way up - no need to go halfway up the ship to get out on deck.

Incidentally, Saga do the best soups of anywhere. I'm not a soup lover - until I get on a Saga ship.

We like to get out and have a bit of fresh air so that is good to know.  I don’t know what to expect from the weather on the way to the Azores but it would be nice to get a good walk every day.

I did look at the soups on the sample menus - I did like the sound of some of the chilled ones.

It’s great to hear from Saga cruisers and find out some of the nice things we have in store.  Thank you for your insight.

4 hours ago, CeaJay said:

then hit the gym and the indoor pool.

I admire your enthusiasm! Bear in mind that in bad weather that the pool will be closed off,  so you may be spending more time in the gym than you expect! Obviously much depends on the weather  - we did a similar trip a couple of years ago, and I would say that the pools were "out of bounds" for about half the cruise.  

Yes it’s great hearing about other people’s experiences and tips.  If we can’t actually be on holiday at least we can talk about it!

I am wondering what weather to expect on the way to The Azores at the end of January.  I would like to hear about other people’s experiences.  I know we can’t predict the future but I would like to know how much motion sickness medication to stockpile 😹.   

56 minutes ago, CeaJay said:

Yes it’s great hearing about other people’s experiences and tips.  If we can’t actually be on holiday at least we can talk about it!

I am wondering what weather to expect on the way to The Azores at the end of January.  I would like to hear about other people’s experiences.  I know we can’t predict the future but I would like to know how much motion sickness medication to stockpile 😹.   

As you say, impossible to predict, but in January you have to expect the worst! I would stock up,  and you will also need supplies for the return trip. Much as I dislike large ships, they are probably better than the Saga ships in bad weather.

Almost  impossible to say a long time ahead. But weatheronline/marine/ proved quite accurate forecasts for when we last cruised. But only a week ahead,  take plenty and always remember  you must take them before it gets rough, check forecast either online or with pursers desk the night before, take them as you go to bed, too late if you wake up and it's rough

Edited by Windsurfboy
Spelling

I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best 😹.  I will be seeing my doctor before I travel as I had a very bad experience flying home from Mexico a couple of years ago.  There was no turbulence but I still felt ill four days after landing 🙀. I did read somewhere else that you should start medicating the night before.   I am thinking positively  Nothing is going to stop me looking forward to, and enjoying, this cruise!  

1 minute ago, Glenndale said:

My s-i-l felt queasy on our Fjords cruise with Saga. She went down to reception and they gave her a box of Stugeron, no charge

It was stugeron we used.

That's good to hear you can get them from reception, but much much better to take them BEFORE  you feel queasy,