Double First

CeaJay

My travel sickness started unexpectedly after several years of flying to and from Europe.  I was ill for most of a transatlantic flight, there was no turbulence involved.  I bought some Dramamine for the return flight and was fine.  Trouble is I trust this brand but can’t buy it over here - tried the pharmacist at my local Boots to find a UK alternative with the active ingredient (DIMENHYDRINATE) in it.  They weren’t very helpful though. I have run out of my supply and I think my bad experience coming back from Mexico was because I didn’t top up with another dose mid flight.  As I said, I will go to my GP before my cruise.  

I received a copy of the new Saga Cruise brochure in the post yesterday and that has just made me even more excited for my trip.

Another vote for stugeron. We bought 2 boxes before a Caribbean round trip, and in the end took only 3 tablets!  Our last cruise in February last year, included 2 days in a Force 10 in the BoB. We were both fine, even without taking any tablets,but were pleased to be in a balcony cabin. At least with Saga you won't be stuck in a small inside cabin!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just stand on your balcony, but may be a bit salty

Tried that, but couldn't get a lather!

To be serious for a minute, it was quite dramatic. Due to the weather we had to pick the pilot up from Brixham. Sitting in our cabin, out of the gloom, with the ship rocking and rolling, a headland appeared, and looking down,  this minute pilot boat emerged from the waves.

To be fair, the captain explained in advance exactly what was going to happen, but it was quite spooky to suddenly see land appear out of nowhere after being thrown about for 48 hours.  

Be assured CeaJay that Stugeron will do the trick.   Also while taking this med you can still drink alcohol!

Of course it is more than possible that you will not experience Mal de anything!  

Our first cruise was on the old P & O Victoria in 1999. Victoria was nothing like the present cruise ships, she was old then..  We went to the Caribbean.  It was magical.  Every evening we went on deck to watch for the Green Spot.The Captain would tell us over the public address that this was the perfect sky.    This is a phenomena at sun set.  As the last bit of the sun drops behind the horizon a bright green spot flashes for a moment. There must be no clouds.  The horizon has to be a hard line.   We thought this was a trick to get everyone on deck with a glass of something for which you had to pay.   .  We did not see the green spot on that cruise.  But after several years of cruising, we were lucky enough to see this bit of natural magic.  I can assure you it is not a trick, it really does happen.

Sorry ,  I have gone off topic!   I was meant to be telling you that on that cruise we did not get sea sick!    J

• Like 1

Well that’s wonderful news about being able to enjoy a nice cocktail or two whilst taking Stugeron.  I think if I experience a force 10 storm I will need something stronger!

if you didn’t go off topic I wouldn’t have known about the Green Spot.  It’s great to here about everyone’s tips and experiences.  Never having cruised it’s all new to me 🙀

PS.  Thank you for taking the time to reply 

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

A word of waning though you will become hooked on cruises for me a fantastic way to holiday and so looking forward to booking my first Saga cruise when we are vaccinated , we usually book Cunard or P and O but after seeing everything that’s included with Saga we are keen to try them out.

We are trying Saga , mainly because we loved the intinerary for the black sea cruise out of Southampton.  

Saga ships look great, and more space per passenger than P&O or Cunard (except in Grills). They do offer a lot more , but you pay for it accordingly.  Price wise on our cruise a suite is dearer than Cunard QG ,  same price if you add on a wine package to Cunard.  Similar cost ratio for smaller cabins. P&O is much cheaper, so you can afford wine and speciality dining and still end up paying less than Saga.

I think the reason for booking this Saga cruise was always intinerary,  but also to me the ships are goldilocks sized , big enough for most weather at 60000 tons, but with only a 1000 passengers not too big, more intimate, yet plenty of space. At 59 the space ratio is nearly twice others. Suites look better designed than Cunard or P&O. Reviews have been good. Food looks good, choice of speciality restaurants looks better. I hope wine is good. Like you looking forward to adding another string to our cruising now

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

A word of waning though you will become hooked on cruises for me a fantastic way to holiday and so looking forward to booking my first Saga cruise when we are vaccinated , we usually book Cunard or P and O but after seeing everything that’s included with Saga we are keen to try them out.

Looking forward to Christmas 2021 aboard Spirit of Discovery-first Saga cruise. Here's hoping it goes ahead?! Love cruising,also tried P&O,Cunard, Princess and MSC.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

Very pleased with the home pickups as we live a fair way from Southampton. It would cost around £600 return for a private hire..

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, Glenndale said:

My s-i-l felt queasy on our Fjords cruise with Saga. She went down to reception and they gave her a box of Stugeron, no charge

On 1/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, Windsurfboy said:

It was stugeron we used.

That's good to hear you can get them from reception, but much much better to take them BEFORE  you feel queasy, 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, Windsurfboy said:

It was stugeron we used.

That's good to hear you can get them from reception, but much much better to take them BEFORE  you feel queasy, 

I find wearing sea bands 24/7 very good as well as stugeron.Sea bands don't always co-ordinate with every outfit colour wise though..!