Oceania cruises cancelled for April

GICNJC

Our November Nautica cruise is entirely waitlisted. Full payment date is due in June. If they’re not sailing by then, we’re canceling. I’m guessing most will do the same before forking out more money.

How much money, for how long, do they have left?

Notification of canceling April cruises is now on O's website.  It has the usual: deposits will be refunded, but fully paid cruises will get an FCC.  FCC is not cash refundable.

1 hour ago, JRIH said:

Notification of canceling April cruises is now on O's website.  It has the usual: deposits will be refunded, but fully paid cruises will get an FCC.  FCC is not cash refundable.

I was under the strong impression that if a cruise line cancels then they are required to offer a refund or FCC.

2 hours ago, JRIH said:

The way I read it  is that if you used an FCC for the cruise that is now cancelled   you will get another FCC

Any lawyers  want to weigh in?

"If your reservation has been deposited or paid in full utilizing a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, your Future Cruise Credit will be re-issued for the amount that was applied. Future Cruise Credits are not redeemable for cash refunds. "

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

Here is a quote from the announcement:

• If your reservation is under deposit with cash funds (credit card, check, bank wire) and does not have full and final payment applied, you will automatically receive a full (100%) refund of all funds that have been applied to your reservation.

If your reservation has been deposited or paid in full utilizing a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, your Future Cruise Credit will be re-issued for the amount that was applied. Future Cruise Credits are not redeemable for cash refunds.

They are being silent on what happens if you are paid in full without using FFC.  Neither does is say that your FFC "use-by" date resets as of now.  I guess you or your TA have to know enough to ask?

I don't think much of those two omissions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

Nor do I. IIRC I got the info here that this is actually enforceable by the Dept. of Transportation and is applicable for US travelers even when on non-US carriers.

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

They are being silent on what happens if you are paid in full without using FFC.  Neither does is say that your FFC "use-by" date resets as of now.  I guess you or your TA have to know enough to ask?

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Nor do I. IIRC I got the info here that this is actually enforceable by the Dept. of Transportation and is applicable for US travelers even when on non-US carriers.

I too think it is poor form for the announcement to be silent on those two points. That said, I  *assume *  it is being communicated clearly to those affected. But can only hope that. It is useful information for those who have cruises booked, or are considering booking, to know how O is handling this situation now. I realize policies will change but more info is better than no info and puts an end to speculation such as whether or not enforceable actions are even needed.

Transparency and clarity in communication is one lesson some seem to still not have adopted / learned in handling issues arising from Covid-19 fallout.

• Like 2

Looks like more people back in the loop......fcc, book, cancel, fcc, book, cancel, ........it feels like going in circles and never getting anywhere.  I am starting to wonder when it will end.  I used to be excited about booking a cruise.  Now, not so much.  

14 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Looks like more people back in the loop......fcc, book, cancel, fcc, book, cancel, ........it feels like going in circles and never getting anywhere.  I am starting to wonder when it will end.  I used to be excited about booking a cruise.  Now, not so much.  

Just pick a point in time when you think a majority of our citizens are vaccinated in order to have the supply of passengers for the ships and when you think a majority of the crew members can be vaccinated in order to run enough ships.  It is very likely that everyone on the ship will be required to be vaccinated - the CDC could or could not require it, but you can bet many of the destinations will require it.  It looks dark for the immediate future and very foggy into the rest of the year.  My gut feeling is they won't be sailing until sometime in the fall, most likely just the Caribbean & Mexico, and only 7-10 day cruises only at first until they feel confident that everything works.    

22 hours ago, JRIH said:

... fully paid cruises will get an FCC.  FCC is not cash refundable.

Not true. 
Reread the 1/19/21 Travel Advisory just posted on the O website. 
The paragraph (from past advisories) about fully paid (cash) options has been eliminated. All that is left is new FCC if you paid with FCC.

However, the terms of the ticket contract still apply. See 4a in https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf.

Oceania is contract bound to refund 100% of cruise fare paid if they cancel. 
The previous Travel Advisories clearly stated that but put a deadline to make the cash request and, if you didn’t exercise that option, you received an FCC instead.

• Like 2

@Flatbush Flyer The Travel Advisory is a bit unclear this time. I have checked with Oceania and it should be:

Paid by cash (deposit only) >>> refund the deposit by cash

Paid by cash (full payment) >>> refund full amount by cash

Paid by FCC >>> FCC will be reissued

Paid by a combination of cash & FCC >>> cash will be refunded, FCC will be reissued

Therefore guests do not need to make a cash refund request this time. The refund will be processed automatically.

You may refer to the Travel Advisory of Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Their policy is the same but it is written more clearly.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

1 minute ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Therefore guests do not need to make a cash refund request this time. The refund will be processed automatically.

I would make the request to O and 'ask' for an acknowledgement.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

I would make the request to O and 'ask' for an acknowledgement.

Yes it is even better to ensure that they will process the refund.

Below is the information from Regent:

For all active reservations, RSSC will provide a 100% Refund on the amounts paid as of Jan 19, 2021. Refunds will be processed automatically within 60 days, no action is required by guests or travel advisors to request refunds.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Just pick a point in time when you think a majority of our citizens are vaccinated in order to have the supply of passengers for the ships and when you think a majority of the crew members can be vaccinated in order to run enough ships.  It is very likely that everyone on the ship will be required to be vaccinated - the CDC could or could not require it, but you can bet many of the destinations will require it.  It looks dark for the immediate future and very foggy into the rest of the year.  My gut feeling is they won't be sailing until sometime in the fall, most likely just the Caribbean & Mexico, and only 7-10 day cruises only at first until they feel confident that everything works.    

The CDC has no jurisdiction for ships not in US waters. Look to the EU as far as the majority of O cruises this summer. What they do will determine whether O sails in May or June. The same with Asia. Look to places like Singapore, Japan, and Hong Kong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

The CDC has no jurisdiction for ships not in US waters. Look to the EU as far as the majority of O cruises this summer. What they do will determine whether O sails in May or June. The same with Asia. Look to places like Singapore, Japan, and Hong Kong.

Perhaps. But the CDC can certainly remember the slight on their requirements which also serve as a recommendation to other countries.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps. But the CDC can certainly remember the slight on their requirements which also serve as a recommendation to other countries.

The cruise lines are hemorrhaging money. You think they currently give a rat’s buttocks about a perceived slight to the CDC? 😂 They have to start sailing and getting real money coming in the door to survive other than just deposits.

Hasn’t Carnival already announced they’re moving embarkment operations to Barbados for Carribean cruises and out of US waters?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Hasn’t Carnival already announced they’re moving embarkment operations to Barbados for Carribean cruises and out of US waters?

No, Carnival hasn't. 

Royal Caribbean announced that their smallest and oldest ship, Grandeur Of The Seas, will be cruising from Barbados during the winter of 2021-2022.