Azamara cruise line sold

Steve Q

I just saw that as a trailer on CNBC.  What does private-equity firm Sycamore Partners know about cruising and what the customers want?  Equity firms only want one thing. Profits at any cost.  There goes Azamara.

I wonder how many of the great staff will jump ship, literally?  When I worked in radio, a NY financier bought the station. I immediately gave my notice as the top biller. He thought making money was easy without knowing how to do it.  Sure enough within two years they had to sell the station at a loss.

I fear for the quality of Azamara going forward.

This information clinches my decision to cancel our June AZ cruise.  I'm wondering if I should take the cancellation penalty for our December cruise as well.  No wonder AZ wouldn't issue a FCC for the penalty amount.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, tgg said:

Key takeaway: Sycamore Partners specializes to "improve the operating profitability and strategic value of their business."

Cost cutting and higher prices?  Now I'm even more glad we booked two Regent cruises for next year.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

Went to the Sycamore Partners website...not encouraging for Azamara. Sycamore has left a trail of ruined businesses and uhappy creditors in the businesses they have "exited"...up to and including trying to force liquidation of assets of Aeropostale. They look like a "rip and strip" gang to me....maybe it will be different here.

• Like 2

Very interesting... we who know and love the “team” will just have to game it out for a while.  If Carl, Johannes, Heike and Eric stay..what the heck.  I’m in for 40 cruises, so obviously I’m staying for a good 👀 look at how it goes.  I don’t want to change my name after all.  😎

• Like 6

As noted in other threads Azamara was the only brand Royal hasn't been investing into so this doesn't come as a surprise.  All other RCG brands have orders in for new ships and have new builds in process or took new ship handovers during the pandemic.  I suspect RCG has been shopping Azamara for some time and the pandemic only delayed this announcement.    

• Like 1