The perfect sandwich ?

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

What’s your favourite?

The best sandwiches I look back on were the ones freshly made at the sandwich station when you selected your bread and filling , on  the Holland America lunchtime buffets .

How about a “ meat pie” sandwich? 🤔

Never really had a GREAT sandwich on a cruise, though Celebrity Century (I think that was the one anyway) had a nice little sandwich station out near the pool that would offer some nice variety at times.

The tiny egg mayo sandwiches that are often offered as part of the Sanctuary afternoon tea on Princess. There is usually a selection of different sandwiches and mini filled rolls, along with cakes and scones, brought around to your sunlounger. Very decadent!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The best were those I had on Maasdam returning from New Zealand last February.  King prawns on fresh breadrolls, with heaps of butter, which we made ourselves on a fresh seafood day in the buffet.  It's amazing how many prawns can be crammed into one small bread roll.

• Like 3

The best sandwiches I've had were on Diamond Princess at afternoon tea in the DR. Beautiful little rolls and tiny sandwiches with wonderful tasting fillings. But then I think any sandwich I don't have to make is good!

Leigh

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The best sandwiches I've had were on Diamond Princess at afternoon tea in the DR. Beautiful little rolls and tiny sandwiches with wonderful tasting fillings. But then I think any sandwich I don't have to make is good!

Leigh

They sound the same as the ones they send up to the Sanctuary. Very yummy! Some of the little cakes are delish as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The tiny egg mayo sandwiches that are often offered as part of the Sanctuary afternoon tea on Princess. There is usually a selection of different sandwiches and mini filled rolls, along with cakes and scones, brought around to your sunlounger. Very decadent!

Princess used to bring the arvo tea trolley - laden with goodies around the promenade deck. But I think that stopped years ago.

This one is class, more P&O Straya, lol. Meat pie, cheese and bacon sambo.

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Princess used to bring the arvo tea trolley - laden with goodies around the promenade deck. But I think that stopped years ago.

It still happens in the Sanctuary although you have to pay extra there. Sometimes it's a trolley, other times it's big tray loads.

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Never really had a GREAT sandwich on a cruise, though Celebrity Century (I think that was the one anyway) had a nice little sandwich station out near the pool that would offer some nice variety at times.

Some of the newer RC ships do a Ruben sandwich.

Its a toasted rye bread with fresh corned beef and sauerkraut.

I like a mustard mayonnaise with it.

Ovation and quantum have it in 270 and the oasis have it in park cafe.

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, the Panama Canal cruise we did in 2018 ended in New York so we were able to try a Reuben sandwich from Katz Deli. OMG it was soooo good, but huge - we shared one between the two of us. We had the pastrami version and while waiting for it to be made they put a plate in front of you with a few slices of pastami to try. 

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, the Panama Canal cruise we did in 2018 ended in New York so we were able to try a Reuben sandwich from Katz Deli. OMG it was soooo good, but huge - we shared one between the two of us. We had the pastrami version and while waiting for it to be made they put a plate in front of you with a few slices of pastami to try. 

We had a toasted   corned beef ,sauerkraut and hole grain  mustard this morning.

Good tucker

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

This one is class, more P&O Straya, lol. Meat pie, cheese and bacon sambo.

th (1).jpg

Umm not much bacon and looks like no dead horse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It still happens in the Sanctuary although you have to pay extra there. Sometimes it's a trolley, other times it's big tray loads.

In 20 princess cruises, we never did the sanctuary, could not see the benefits for the cost. One pays enough to get on the ships, why pay extra?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

In 20 princess cruises, we never did the sanctuary, could not see the benefits for the cost. One pays enough to get on the ships, why pay extra?

Really, really comfortable sun loungers,  no crowds, quiet, great views, and afternoon tea. We think it's worth it, especially for when we were in inside cabins. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I toast all my gf bread it is so dry on the supermarket shelves for a couple of weeks, not nice, hence i toast it.

You can also freshen it by wrapping it in a paper towel and giving it a short 10-15 sec burst in the microwave. Lay slices side by side not on top of each other.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I toast all my gf bread it is so dry on the supermarket shelves for a couple of weeks, not nice, hence i toast it.

The few times I have tried GF bread it was a bit dry even when fresh baked, I put it down to the flour, but never been a fan and touch wood I’m OK with the gluten.

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You can also freshen it by wrapping it in a paper towel and giving it a short 10-15 sec burst in the microwave. Lay slices side by side not on top of each other.

Most of the GF bread in the supermarkets, like Woollies own, Abbots, Helgas etc, tried them all, arrive in the store frozen, then they defrost a few and put them on the shelves, often they sit on the shelves for a week or two, I have seen mouldy loaves there. I will try your tip.  I got a Woolies home delivery yesterday, got 4 loaves of Woolies bread, I put them in freezer.  There are three bakeries in this area, none make GF bread.

I have tried GF bread on the ships, some is just edible some is terrible and unedible.

Edited by NSWP

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The few times I have tried GF bread it was a bit dry even when fresh baked, I put it down to the flour, but never been a fan and touch wood I’m OK with the gluten.

It is the gluten in the wheat flour that makes the bread soft and pliable. They use rice flour or Maize or even potato flour to make the gf bread. Why would you pay 7 or 8 dollars for it when you don't need to eat that sort of bread?  I have to.