Royal Caribbean Group to Sell Azamara – Could Windstar Buy?

Host Jazzbeau

New article on Cruise Critic:

Royal Caribbean Group to Sell Azamara

I've been expecting this sale for some time, as RCG clearly had no interest in maintaining Azamara.  But it seems even less likely to prosper as a standalone under Sycamore, which has a reputation as a vulture.  My best hope at this point is that this is a holding action until Sycamore can sell Azamara to another cruise operator – and Windstar seems best positioned (IMHO) for that.

• Like 1

Good God I hope not.  I can't imagine any Windstar passenger being even remotely interested in ships that large.  Most are 600-800 or so passengers, and with what I understand they are quite long in the tooth.

I suspect that they will go to one of the Asian operators. They might be perfect for a Chinese line.

Edited by ducklite

i am a loyalist to both brands but for different reasons. I have over 300 nights on Windstar and over 100 on Azamara. They both focus on the itinerary, on more time ashore than on the ship, on service, and on happy crew membersI don't find the 600 people too large given the space available on the ship but I go on Azamara for different reasons than I go on Windstar. I hope they don't combine because I wouldn't want either brand diluted.

• Like 2

I too have cruised on both and liked them both.

Azamara gets a lot of people being grumpy about the size of the bathrooms. Coming from the Wind Spirit and Wind Star, the Azamara bathrooms are fine.

Like on the Windstar ships, there were never any lines for events or dinners. It was quiet by the pool. No tacky contests or pervasive drunkeness.

I have happy to entertain this day dream. It could be a match.

Absolutely not. The last thing WS needs  is a larger,  used, motor ship. WS  needs to purchase the new full rigged clipper ship that the British travel company Tradewinds is leasing named Golden Horizon. She is drop dead beautiful and from the little I know Star Clippers decided not to buy her due to lengthy delays in being built. She is for sail so I read. What a great ship, that would add more character and even more excitement. She would be a great enhancement to the brand. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

Golden Horizon really looks like a beautiful ship and agree would add more excitement (not that anymore is needed) to the line. I was excited to hear others think that Azamara could fit with the WS brand. Haven't sailed Azamara, but have Oceania and love the R ships. 680 passengers but still feel cozy and very comfortable. Yes they are long in the tooth but last sailed one of the retrofitted ones a little over a year ago, Sirena, and it was lovely.