Vaccinations required

Kohima

Oh well.

Just tried online, which will allow me to book - but none of the local centres are offered.

Nearest one offered is 37.5 miles away (in a straight line) so the driving distance will be about 45 - so a 90 mile round trip.

Think I'll wait for the GP to call, when hopefully I can be jabbed same centre as DH - 40 minute walk away.

20 hours ago, nosapphire said:

So are the two systems going to clash with people waiting for the call from their GP to have their 2nd jab and all the slots being filled with others booking online for both jabs?

I am sure that the GP systems have planned for this and DH will get his call for his 2nd jab without problems - but I still can't help worrying about it.

I don't think that this will be an issue as both systems feed into your NHS record. I believe that your second jab should use the same method as your first ie both GP surgery, both NHS centre...

Might take longer than I expected before I get mine (group 5, no underlying health conditions).

Groups 5&6 are being carried out together, group 6 is the largest group and just got larger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56086965

Local centres can only do so much, already working flat out, and not giving slots to any of group 5 as yet.

Just have to wait and see when I am called... glad I took the refund already.

Hopefully by some time in May most people in this board will have had at least their first vaccine, and some may then be waiting just under three months for their second. So by August most should be fully protected and in principle be in prime position to satisfy those cruise lines who decide they will only allow fully vaccinated people to board.  It may be later for potential passengers from a number of countries to have had their two doses.  For those cruise lines operating out of the UK, they may be able to operate reasonably full passenger complements since the majority of passengers will be from the UK - though of course the crew is unlikely to have been vaccinated by then because of supply issues.

Also it will be very difficult to know which ports of call would allow passengers off the ships and already it seems that in general only official excursions will be allowed, and only close to the port - self service shore visits will likely not be permitted. So for the autumn it may be a bit spotty in terms of what can or cannot happen regarding cruises in the European area.  Time scales for recovery for cruises starting in the USA may be delayed relative to the UK - particularly with the recent Canadian decision on a year long ban on cruise ship arrivals. Does anyone know how any Caribbean countries may handle cruise arrivals (or departures), and over what timescale? 

On the other hand by spring 2022 it looks much more likely that significant numbers will have had vaccines, and that general levels of covid cases may well have come down significantly.  In any one country, the combination of government management of a vaccine programme, the supply chain and contracts the health services have with the vaccine manufacturers, as well as how rigorously the people in the country adhere to measures that would reduce virus transmission.  Clearly a cavalier government, with little management of all the aspects needed for a working vaccination programme, late signing of supply contracts, and a population that does not believe in the virus or the vaccines would delay when the pandemic would be under control in such a country.

So the coming year is a testing time for governments as well as populations - and of course many people are long frustrated with lockdowns, and want life to return to normal, and not have to distance or wear masks - don't we all!  Hopefully we will all have the opportunity to realistically hope that cruises we have booked will actually take place, and also lead to an enjoyable cruise experience more like the cruises we were all used to enjoying before spring 2020.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:49 AM, comcox said:

I just read a post the Royal Caribbean is going to require vaccines as well.

Apparently, they are also going to require the crew to be vaccinated as well.  Maybe Saga should do the same.

Edited by terry2
correct spelling error

The UK government have now announced that international travel can resume from 17 May at the earliest.  We’ve been trying to work out the logistics of re-crewing the ships. Presumably this will mean that the crew can be transported to the UK from this date.  Perhaps the ship can be used for this purpose? They will need to be quarantined and tested for Covid at least twice.  As for vaccinating the crew, how is that going to happen?  It’s not possible to buy vaccine in the UK, you have to wait your turn according to age.  Or could Saga arrange to have them vaccinated before they arrive in the UK?

We would also like more details on the embarkation procedure for cruise passengers.  Do we just turn up with our completed vaccination cards, have our temperature taken and board?  Is there a swab test?  Or a blood test?  If a blood test is required before boarding, we would rather not cruise!

Apparently the Gov will be running trials from April to see how enhanced testing might allow large groups (weddings, etc) without social distancing (see stage 4 on attached link).

A cruise ship is a multiple of international travel, hotel, restaurant, theatre, nightclub, gym - so there is quite a lot of work for the cruise lines to do before they can confidently announce anything.

But I expect that, at least in the early stages, we can still expect testing, masks, social distancing and restrictions to be in place on cruises until the lines themselves (apart from anyone else) are confident to start loosening up.

The cruise lines themselves are not going to want to start up only to have to stop again, so they'll be taking things at least as cautiously as the Government in order to get it right first time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

I’m in group 7 and booked via the NHS booking site today.  Booked in for next week for my first jab and date for the second one booked for 3 rd week in May.  We have to drive into The Docklands mass vaccination centre but we don’t mind as the parking situation is very good there.  It is worth checking the NHS booking site to see if you can get in.  If you have your NHS number handy it is quite a quick process.  If your group is not open it won’t let you get to the end of the booking process.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read Saga's revised booking terms (it's on their website).

Whatever you do, do not rush in to check-in hot, flushed, sweaty and coughing....🥵

QUOTE: Further, to avoid the spread of any viral or bacterial illness on board including, without limitation, COVID-19, we may deny boarding to any passenger who displays symptoms of any such illness (including flu-like symptoms) or who in our reasonable opinion may be at risk of having contracted any such illness, including, without limitation, any passenger displaying symptoms despite having tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to boarding and/or been vaccinated against COVID-19. If you or any member of your party are denied boarding in any of these circumstances, you are not entitled to a refund but you may amend your cruise to a different date in accordance with section 6.END QUOTE.

Not sure who is going to be most nervous at check-in - the passengers in case they develop a tickle in the throat at the wrong time, the check-in staff delegated to divert questionable passengers for more questioning, or the medical staff who have to make the final decision.

Shame there is still no easy way to tell who may be incubating Norovirus.... which is still the most likely bug.

4 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Just read Saga's revised booking terms (it's on their website).

Whatever you do, do not rush in to check-in hot, flushed, sweaty and coughing....🥵

QUOTE: Further, to avoid the spread of any viral or bacterial illness on board including, without limitation, COVID-19, we may deny boarding to any passenger who displays symptoms of any such illness (including flu-like symptoms) or who in our reasonable opinion may be at risk of having contracted any such illness, including, without limitation, any passenger displaying symptoms despite having tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to boarding and/or been vaccinated against COVID-19. If you or any member of your party are denied boarding in any of these circumstances, you are not entitled to a refund but you may amend your cruise to a different date in accordance with section 6.END QUOTE.

Not sure who is going to be most nervous at check-in - the passengers in case they develop a tickle in the throat at the wrong time, the check-in staff delegated to divert questionable passengers for more questioning, or the medical staff who have to make the final decision.

Shame there is still no easy way to tell who may be incubating Norovirus.... which is still the most likely bug.

Unbelievable!

So they are going to get untrained  check in staff to decide if you are fit to travel. Even if they use medical personnel,how can they decide in the space of an hour if you can travel or not.

And what happens if, after further tests, it is determined  that you were perfectly healthy despite being denied boarding. Legally I would think Saga could be on thin ice, especially as many of their passengers may not be in the best of health, regardless of CV19. 

• 1 month later...

I work for the NHS and had my second Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago.

I was speaking to a GP I was working with and asked him if there were procedures in place to supply patients with proof of having had both vaccines as there was nothing concrete about" Vaccine Passports" being issued.

His reply was basically they don't have a clue how it's going to be administered.

It will interesting to find out from the first Cruisers what evidence Saga are accepting.

In any case, my Wife and I will not be cruising until rules about mask wearing are rescinded.

48 minutes ago, goody1 said:

I work for the NHS and had my second Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago.

I was speaking to a GP I was working with and asked him if there were procedures in place to supply patients with proof of having had both vaccines as there was nothing concrete about" Vaccine Passports" being issued.

His reply was basically they don't have a clue how it's going to be administered.

It will interesting to find out from the first Cruisers what evidence Saga are accepting.

In any case, my Wife and I will not be cruising until rules about mask wearing are rescinded.

I raised this issue with Saga when making a telephone booking for a cruise next year. I was told that the card which you are given when you are vaccinated would be the proof required.

• Like 1

Most GP surgeries have online apps that allow you to print out vaccination record, just printed mine out , as well as keeping the card safe with passport 

I think checking vaccination is almost unnecessary given 97% uptake amongst the Saga age group. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Most GP surgeries have online apps that allow you to print out vaccination record, just printed mine out , as well as keeping the card safe with passport 

Excellent idea, thank you.  I too have now printed off my vaccination record.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, Windsurfboy said:

I think checking vaccination is almost unnecessary given 97% uptake amongst the Saga age group. 

Windsurfboy.  Have just discovered on another forum that the NHS app (not the Covid app) gives you access to your medical record, including vaccinations (assuming that your GP has signed up to the NHS app which fortunately mine has).  Not sure if this is different to GP surgery online apps that you mention.

Its a different  app, you can use either or both, as NHS app may become Vaccination passport most people will use that. I've heard NHS app is a bit fiddly to join, they take security seriously,  with GP app they know you so surgery gives you your first password. With NHSapp  you need your NHS number also passport or driving licence number, you take a selfie and facial recognition checks picture to make sure it's you. People have reported having to try multiple times

I must admit setting up the NHS app is a bit of a palaver but I'm glad I've done it.  Fortunately I didn't have any problems but I already had a photo of my passport on my phone and I had my NHS number to hand before I started.  I knew the other details required without having to look them up.  Well worth the effort because I can see the app becoming the main source for the vaccination passport.