Saga Cruises to require Covid Vaccination

artyhues

This UK cruise line that caters to those over 50, will require the covid jab. This will start in May to allow time for people to get 

the shots. They also need a minimum of 14 days to have elapsed after the 2nd dose. 

I think other cruise lines, (and probably international air travel) will join this as it’s really the only way for travel to resume.

• Like 1

I can confirm this - we have had a Saga cruise booked for quite a long time, which is due to sail in October this year, and have just had a letter spelling out the details.  A specific point is made that exemption from receiving the vaccine, as well as choosing not to be vaccinated will both mean not being allowed to cruise with Saga.  They also say that, in order to allow guests time to be fully vaccinated, their return to service had been pushed back from 3rd April to May/June.  The UK vaccination programme should mean that most eligible people will have been offered the vaccine by then.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:53 PM, Coco54 said:

so how do you feel about this?  I think making vaccine mandatory will finish off the cruise industry.

We're quite comfortable with this.  As has been mentioned in other threads, mandatory vaccination against certain diseases in certain countries isn't unusual;  Yellow Fever being the one that immediately springs to mind, which we've had at least three times over the years for travel in Africa and South America, and our vaccination record and certificates are kept with our passports, health cards etc. 

Whenever we are planning to travel somewhere more out of the way, we seek the advice of our Surgery Practice Nurse who matches our itinerary against the current health recommendations, and we tend to follow that advice.

• Like 2

While all in favor of vaccination, I'm worried that in the U.S. we won't be able to get a vaccine in time for our next cruise, which has been pushed off twice and is now scheduled for August 2021. One wonders how a cruise line can ethically charge passengers for a cruise they can't sail on, merely because U.S. vaccine distribution is so messed up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, Dragonpatch said:

While all in favor of vaccination, I'm worried that in the U.S. we won't be able to get a vaccine in time for our next cruise, which has been pushed off twice and is now scheduled for August 2021. One wonders how a cruise line can ethically charge passengers for a cruise they can't sail on, merely because U.S. vaccine distribution is so messed up. 

Things are speeding up regarding potential vaccine availability.  Looks like now, anyone who wants to be vaccinated should be able to be vaccinated in plenty of time for an August cruise.  At least, that it what I have recently read.  I have had my first shot and will get my second February 18 (next week).  With a good incentive, people will be able to get vaccinated.  It may just take a little checking around.  

On 2/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, EGM49 said:

Things are speeding up regarding potential vaccine availability.  Looks like now, anyone who wants to be vaccinated should be able to be vaccinated in plenty of time for an August cruise.  At least, that it what I have recently read.  I have had my first shot and will get my second February 18 (next week).  With a good incentive, people will be able to get vaccinated.  It may just take a little checking around.  

Welllllll...... Also depends where you are.  In New York for example, vaccine availability has become a political issue....   Now they are talking about "moving up" special groups.   Taxi Drivers, Teachers, Grocery store workers, Blacks, Hispanics, residents of poor neighborhoods all would (will) move to the front of the line.   Next door in Connecticut in contrast, they have kept their fingers out of the pie, and have moved from "over 75" to "over 65", and are saying that they will move on from that in March.  I know I got an email from the government a week ago on the day that I became eligible (Over 65) and was able to get shot one two days later.   

• 3 weeks later...

It also depends on the industry you work in.  I'm a healthcare worker so I've already been fully vaccinated.  My friends and family that are also healthcare workers are already fully vaccinated as well.  In my state, those 65+, essential workers, and teachers are being vaccinated now.  After that, it opens up to anyone 16+.  At this time, children are not being vaccinated due to the lack of studies for the vaccines done in this age group.  Nursing homes (which is my industry) have also been vaccinating their residents who chose to receive the vaccine.