Faster to the Fun

19pamela68

It depends on you. We always purchase the FTTF when staying in a balcony cabin because we like to get on the ship early. In addition to the early embarkation and other get on/get off the ship portions of the offer appealed to us. The other two big pluses for us was the ability to get in the Diamond/Platinum customer care line rather than wait for eons (that in itself was fantastic) and having our cabin ready when we boarded. We do not when in a suite because we get all of the FTTF offers except the quicker customer care line and having the cabin ready. For us it is worth every cent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 19pamela68 said:

Hi All,

I know it's been awhile but who has done Carnival's Faster to the Fun recently?  Do you think it's worth it?

Thank you!

It's one of those things that truly is up to you. Look at all the benefits and decide which ones you know you'll take advantage of, then weigh those against the cost.

Yeah, it's true that people with early Arrival Appointments will get onboard not long after FTTF, but there's more benefits than just early boarding. Even though a relatively small group will get on right after FTTF, we still find early boarding very advantageous. We can get onboard, drop our bags in our cabin, and get up to Lido for lunch with hardly any lines. Not have to worry about finding a table, plenty to choose from. Eat lunch and be on our way by the time the big crowds get there.

For us, early boarding, immediate access to cabins, and the priority line at Guest Services make it worth it.

• Like 2

We always fly in a day or two before the cruise.  Most hotels want you checked out by 11 or 12.  If we have to leave, we might as well head to the ship.  We'd rather be on the ship and having fun rather than still be sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

For us, before we became Platinum, it was worth it to get rid of our carry-ons before they opened up the cabins to everyone at 1:30.  Nothing worse than dragging around a carry-on while trying to get something to eat.  

The last time we bought it, when we got to our cabin, it hadn't been made up yet.  They let us put our carry-ons in the cabin though.  By the time we got done eating, it was ready for us.  In fact, the last time we cruised, the same thing happened and we were Platinum.  No big deal because all we want is to drop off the load.  It also was nice getting our luggage right away.  We were unpacked before Muster.

I'm wondering what's going to happen when cruising starts up again.  With all of the disinfecting that's suppose to happen between cruises, will that affect FTTF?  Will the cabin stewards be able to get that many cabins ready for those with priority?  I guess only time will tell.

Edited by RWolver672

I know that FTTF is a money maker for Carnival. But once cruising does finally start back up, I wonder if Carnival will temporarily suspend it in an effort to give housekeeping (i.e. cabin stewards) time to do whatever additional sanitizing is required before embarkation begins. It could be reintroduced at a later date, after certain protocols would no longer be needed. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

I know that FTTF is a money maker for Carnival. But once cruising does finally start back up, I wonder if Carnival will temporarily suspend it in an effort to give housekeeping (i.e. cabin stewards) time to do whatever additional sanitizing is required before embarkation begins. It could be reintroduced at a later date, after certain protocols would no longer be needed. 

I could see them changing FTTF to being the first appointment slot.  That way they still get their revenue and FTTF people still get what they want.

23 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

I could see them changing FTTF to being the first appointment slot.  That way they still get their revenue and FTTF people still get what they want.

The only ship that for sure won't have FTTF right away is the Mardi Gras. For any other ships, it's purely speculative. I guess we'll find out what Carnival has planned whenever they post the information. 

I was thinking of getting it, but it is not available on Mardi Gras and sold out for the Magic sailing we booked. The port news for Mardi Gras is that they claim 15 minutes from car to ship for all passengers. We will have to see if that holds true. For the Magic, if it were available, I would get it. But, it is sold out. 

• Like 1

We were thinking of getting it because the cruise we're thinking of booking has a tender port.  For anyone that has ever used it for that, did it help you avoid the long lines getting off the ship into the boat?  Also, when cruising resumes will all dining have to be reserved?  Would FTTF get priority on reservations too?

13 hours ago, 19pamela68 said:

Hi All,

I know it's been awhile but who has done Carnival's Faster to the Fun recently?  Do you think it's worth it?

Thank you!

Please change the font you are using.  I am on an iPad and it appears as a fine cursive script.  Pale and difficult to read.  I think it is this way on most mobile devices.  EM

36 minutes ago, pamesacruisin said:

We were thinking of getting it because the cruise we're thinking of booking has a tender port.  For anyone that has ever used it for that, did it help you avoid the long lines getting off the ship into the boat?  Also, when cruising resumes will all dining have to be reserved?  Would FTTF get priority on reservations too?

If you purchase FTTF, there will be an "FTTF" emblem on your Sign & Sail card. Plan to arrive early at the designated area (typically the ship's theater) where you would get your tickets for the water shuttle. Show your S&S card to the staff member that is giving out the tickets so that you can get tickets for the first boarding. Nothing has been posted by Carnival regarding any changes to seating in the MDR. If you choose Early or Late dining, you will already have an assigned table ( no reservation required). If you choose Anytime Dining, unless there is a change in the procedure, the hostess will determine where you will be seated. Again, no reservation required. Having FTTF does not give you any priority for seating in the MDR. 

4 minutes ago, stellarose said:

check daily for MG Dec 21'

It's already been announced by John Heald (and Carnival) that there will be no FTTF for the first six months on the Mardi Gras. So, if Mardi Gras' inaugural sailing date keeps getting pushed back, and ends up being in June or July, FTTF may not be available in Dec. '21. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

• Like 1

I just booked a cruise for May 29th, and got FTTF. I think I've only failed to get it once. Everything depends on what you value. I like getting on as early as possible and most importantly going straight to my room to drop off my bags. And at times the ability to skip the customer service line has come in handy.

For tendering it is nice to not have to wait in line to get a number, but it was a big crowd at Half-Moon Cay. I'm not sure if everyone got on the first shuttle or not. We took the stairs and were first ones on. Of course if you have an excursion booked through Carnival, you'll get priority anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I just booked a cruise for May 29th, and got FTTF. I think I've only failed to get it once. Everything depends on what you value. I like getting on as early as possible and most importantly going straight to my room to drop off my bags. And at times the ability to skip the customer service line has come in handy.

For tendering it is nice to not have to wait in line to get a number, but it was a big crowd at Half-Moon Cay. I'm not sure if everyone got on the first shuttle or not. We took the stairs and were first ones on. Of course if you have an excursion booked through Carnival, you'll get priority anyway.

If what I'm hearing is true, we might not be able to get off the ship anyway if not on a scheduled ship excursion.

Just now, pamesacruisin said:

If what I'm hearing is true, we might not be able to get off the ship anyway if not on a scheduled ship excursion.

I'd assume that would vary by location. Half Moon Cay is a private island, so I'd assume the cruise ship would let us off, but you never know.

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Having FTTF does not give you any priority for seating in the MDR. 

Actually it does (or used to).  Years back, we booked later than usual and our preferred Early Dining was waitlisted.  Interestingly enough FTTF was available so we got it.  I called to ask about the chances that we might get off the waitlist for Early Dining and the rep said "You have FTTF.  Once the system rolls over overnight, it will automatically take you off the waitlist and give you your preferred dining time."  I was skeptical but sure enough the next day our dining changed from waitlisted to confirmed.  Was it FTTF?  Who knows, but what the rep said happened, so I'll say yes.  Whether this still applies in the COVID/Post-COVID cruising era is anybody's guess.

Because it will take longer to clean the ship for the new lot of passengers on sail day, I think they will do away with early boarding due to the extra work. If they do allow passengers into the cabins early it will probably just be the Diamonds since there are so many more now.. Consider the TA for the Destiny/Sunshine in Nov 2013 had 200 Diamonds 700 Platinums 1,200 Gold. ( It was shortly after that that the Gold were dropped from the special party.)  The Horizon TA in May 2018 had nearly 1,000 Diamonds, 1,300 Platinums. So many Diamonds that we were told not to expect special treatment.

Will Diamonds get early cabin make up as usual ? What about the passengers in the Suites ? Personally I doubt if FTTF will be offered any more. Carnival will have to rethink a lot of things.

Some people find the benefits of FTTF worth it to them and others don't.  It's like the beverage plan.  It's only worth it if you find the benefits worth it. We always purchased FTTF for every cruise we could get it.  Many times, I would stalk the excursions multiple times a day to try to get it.  

These are the things we found beneficial to us:
* Getting on the ship early and not worrying about arriving within a half hour window.  One time we were five minutes late for our window and had to go to the early/late line.  It was sometimes a challenge when we used shuttles.  Plus, we like being one of the first ones on the ship so we can have a meal without crowds and then explore the ship.

* Being able to take our baggage to our cabins as soon as we entered the ship. We always cruise on Carnival with carry-on bags only, so it's a huge benefit to take that baggage right to our cabin.  We are unpacked in 10 minutes and don't have to worry about checking on our luggage later or anything getting lost.

*Using the express line for guest services.  It saves a lot of time.  I know some people say to just go to guest services at odd hours, but the last time we needed guest services it was due to our cabin cards not working.

* Being able to meet early for a tender port.  That worked out well and we didn't have to deal with long lines or tickets.

*Meeting in a special area to get off of the ship early.   That is a huge time saver when getting off of the ship.

We should reach platinum on our next cruise and are very excited that we don't have to worry about FTTF.  Since our cruise is on the Mardi Gras, we are extra excited.

17 hours ago, 19pamela68 said:

Hi All,

Thank you!

I actually just saw the price of this for our November Legend cruise- $90. We have one port with no tenders and I'm not that concerned about being first onboard or having immediate access to the cabin, so at least for this cruise I'd say it isn't.

9 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We always fly in a day or two before the cruise.  Most hotels want you checked out by 11 or 12.  If we have to leave, we might as well head to the ship.  We'd rather be on the ship and having fun rather than still be sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

For us, before we became Platinum, it was worth it to get rid of our carry-ons before they opened up the cabins to everyone at 1:30.  Nothing worse than dragging around a carry-on while trying to get something to eat.  

The last time we bought it, when we got to our cabin, it hadn't been made up yet.  They let us put our carry-ons in the cabin though.  By the time we got done eating, it was ready for us.  In fact, the last time we cruised, the same thing happened and we were Platinum.  No big deal because all we want is to drop off the load.  It also was nice getting our luggage right away.  We were unpacked before Muster.

I'm wondering what's going to happen when cruising starts up again.  With all of the disinfecting that's suppose to happen between cruises, will that affect FTTF?  Will the cabin stewards be able to get that many cabins ready for those with priority?  I guess only time will tell.

Good point about hotel check-out. We drive, but do arrive the day before, so we're in the same situation. Pulling a carry-on around Lido when it was crowded...been there, done that. Had to have one member of the party sit with the bags while others got their meals. We managed and I'd do it again if I had to, but prefer to avoid it. We started buying FTTF after that.

We've ran into the situation of them not having our cabin ready, too. Same results, they didn't mind if we dropped our bags off. I think that happens more often now and probably started when they decreased the number of stewards a few years ago, which increased the number of cabins each one had to turn over.

For our last 2-3 cruises, we haven't even bothered checking any of our luggage in. I like taking my own on board and having it immediately. We've ditched our carry-on bags for backpacks + our main luggage. As long as we have FTTF and can get into our cabins right away, I don't see checking our luggage anymore. It's nice to unpack after lunch and get that out of the way.