Inquiry about Grand Suite 785 on Exployer

I have booked a 7 day cruise March 22, 2022 onboard the Splendor. Has anyone had experience with Grand Suite 785 located at the back of the ship ?  Any information is greatly appreciated. This will be my first time doing a 7 day cruise as I have always booked 10 days or longer.  Hopefully the pandemic will be under control by then.  Fingers crossed !

Basically, are there sound issues?  And I know this is a small thing, but is the furniture the same as illustrated in the pictures?  I understand that it may be a bit smaller than the other Grand suites but it has a very nice balcony.  I am hoping with all my might that by this time it will be feasible to cruise again. 

There can be sound issues with following seas; actually a shudder.  Balcony is quite large but I don't know about views when seating given metal railings instead of rails or plexiglass.

These are comments relative to Explorer; never been on Splendour.

Edited by mrlevin

Thank you all for the information.  I am just getting back into cruising and my feeble chemo brain has forgotten that the Splendor has been out to sea a few times so I had no need to compare the Splendor to the Explorer.  Thanks again MrMelvin for the information about the occasional shutter. That will not bother me a bit. 
Wishing all happy sailing.   

Edited by BeginTheBeguine

Coincidentally we placed a hold on a Grand Suite - on Splendour - only yesterday and would also be interested in finding out a little more about the two suites on Deck 7 Aft. 784/785 (Either Explorer or Splendor).

The layout plans, photos and virtual tours on the website appear to be for one of the mid ship suites 1012/1015. We've decided against these as they are directly below the pool deck and i've already picked up considerable negative comments regarding noise - as is sometimes the case below pool decks.

Having been in front facing suites previously the 4 Grand Suites at the front are not for us this time.

So this leaves the two aft suites 784 & 785.

We've been unable to locate any plans, videos, photos etc online for these two aft suites (784/785) so don't really know anything about the layout ie how does it compare to the online details for 1012/1015.

Looking at the deck plans - with a magnifying glass ! - they appear to be slightly larger than the others, but as to the layout I am no clearer. (I am hopeful of a response from Regent next week).

Any insight on this rather narrow enquiry would be much welcomed thank you.    

Machotspur, I too am like you. I have gone on youtube watching videos of the Grand Suite, but they seem to be the ones located at the front of the ship.  My travel agent has been in Suite 785 and she says it is a beautiful suite. I asked about the sofa and she remembered it as just being a straight sofa without the lounger.   The deck wraps around the side so you have options as to where to sit.  As far as the back of the ship having no railings I had no problem when I was in the Master Suite on the Mariner which is located at the front of the ship.  I do believe you have railings on the side balcony.  

Edited by BeginTheBeguine

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

Hi both,

I have also booked one of these suites and found this link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2717429-explorer-suite-784/ which shows pics of the same suite on Explorer. Perhaps you have already seen these though..

Hello Daisy - thank you so much for pointing us to this very useful thread - it is exactly what I was looking for.

As stated previously we have dismissed the other 6 Grand Suites for various reasons so it is the 2 aft suites that remain of interest.

In all honesty we like the Explorer/Splendor suites very much which we have experienced previously however we are interested in trying the aft Grand suites for 3 reasons -

- the difference in price versus the Splendor suite is relatively modest

- we are wishing to try an aft suites for the first time

- the Grand Suite gets guaranteed restaurant reservations at all times (forgive me - a bit ‘statusy’ I know), 

So - if anyone would like to question my logic for the Grand Suite (aft) i’d very much welcome any further insight.

Thank you again Daisy - and the posters on the thread you mentioned.  

Just out of curiosity, if the Grand Suites get "guaranteed restaurant reservations at all times," is there a time when they release those held tables to others?  An hour before, noon that day, or some other time?  Or do those restaurant spaces just remain unused if the Grand Suite occupants do not use them?

Hello SusieQft

My wife & I were literally discussing that very thing just a few minutes ago !

We wondered how when approx 11 suites qualify for ‘guaranteed restaurant reservations’ does this mean that these suite occupiers can just turn up and expect a table is given them - and therefore 11 tables are always kept clear (not likely) or does it mean that guests in those suites still need to make a reservation that whilst being guaranteed doesn’t mean that one gets the time one wants ?

I’m planning to ask my TA to find out this week !

12 minutes ago, machotspur said:

Hello SusieQft

My wife & I were literally discussing that very thing just a few minutes ago !

We wondered how when approx 11 suites qualify for ‘guaranteed restaurant reservations’ does this mean that these suite occupiers can just turn up and expect a table is given them - and therefore 11 tables are always kept clear (not likely) or does it mean that guests in those suites still need to make a reservation that whilst being guaranteed doesn’t mean that one gets the time one wants ?

The last time we sailed on the Explorer we were in (GS) 1201 and enjoyed it very much.  At least in our case, each morning our butler would ask us where we wanted to dine that evening and would make a note of it.  A confirmation followed soon after that.  

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The last time we sailed on the Explorer we were in (GS) 1201 and enjoyed it very much.  At least in our case, each morning our butler would ask us where we wanted to dine that evening and would make a note of it.  A confirmation followed soon after that.  

That's useful to know thank you. 

I guess that is the most sensible way of handling this policy, giving the restaurants the knowledge to release these tables for waitlisted guests on the morning of the day in question.

• 4 months later...

We are interested in one of the forward Grand Suites but are concerned about being allowed to use the balcony when underway and having the balcony lights on at night.  Friends were on Regent's sister line, Oceania, and were not allowed to do either, which greatly reduced their enjoyment of the suite with the amazing balcony.

Might the use of the forward balcony depend on whether the suite is above or below the bridge?

Thanks for any insight.

• 2 years later...

We prefer the aft Grand Suites which have minimal noise and great side and stern views. The bow facing suites can be noisy on movement of the anchor chain and are subject to a fair amount of wind when underway. Frequently crew want to remove the deck cushions when underway due to headwinds possibly blowing off the cushions which does not happen in stern facing suites 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Gcto said:

We are interested in one of the forward Grand Suites but are concerned about being allowed to use the balcony when underway and having the balcony lights on at night.  Friends were on Regent's sister line, Oceania, and were not allowed to do either, which greatly reduced their enjoyment of the suite with the amazing balcony.

Might the use of the forward balcony depend on whether the suite is above or below the bridge?

Thanks for any insight.

We were in a GS (1201)on Splendor March 22 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise, and found the balcony to be far too large to fully enjoy it. Only a few days were cushions out so we could enjoy lazing on the balcony sipping coctails. As well, there was considerable vibration at night while trying to sleep. This past March, we were once again in a GS on Splendor for a TA cruise, but it was 1012 mid-ship. Beautiful balcony and even with some not so kind weather, found very little vibration or noise. We are on Grandeur July 2024 in the same GS, 1012. 

Edited by Gpilon
  • Like 1