LET'S TALK ALLURA CLASS

KatieBelle

We are looking forward to Allura details.  Here's a few of our questions:

-Does Allura #1 have a name?  Thought a "contest" was offered some time ago.  Don't recall we ever heard the results.

-Where will she sail?  DH will never consider a ATW on an R ship.  With the advent of Allura class it would be nice if one of the O ships would be considered for ATW.

Well, there are a couple of starters.  Hope y'all have some more.  It would be great if we actually got some feedback, maybe even answers.

-Katie

Probably not a focus of management at this point. Until they release some info it hard to know anything, other than what the released originally. Their main concern will be to get the ships they currently operate back in service. 

• Like 1

My first guess was that the new A ship would replace the Regatta and its schedule. Do Alaska in the Northern summer and concentrate on Australia/NZ and the southern seas during their summers. 

An OCA clearly stated, when asked about the ATW, that Oceania didn’t need the extra capacity for that cruise. Some of the segments are hard to fill with just the R ships capacity.

A large upcoming obstacle is the ports themselves. Many of the favorite destinations were  considering limiting/reducing the daily number of ships in port. Adding another ship to those ports may be more difficult than increasing from 684 to 1100 passengers.

Agree with ORV, it will probably be awhile before we hear any details. That is, of course , unless O wants to book more reservations to get a bit more revenue coming in the door! 😊

1 hour ago, KatieBelle said:

-Does Allura #1 have a name?  Thought a "contest" was offered some time ago.  Don't recall we ever heard the results.

-Where will she sail?  DH will never consider a ATW on an R ship.  With the advent of Allura class it would be nice if one of the O ships would be considered for ATW.

Well, there are a couple of starters.  Hope y'all have some more.  It would be great if we actually got some feedback, maybe even answers.

-Katie

Google is your friend...

Allura press releases, videos et al. will answer most of your queries. Just type “Oceania Allura.”

As for the name: Like “Regatta” being both the name of the class and the name of the first acquisition (NO - R ship does not stand for “Renaissance”), you can expect that “Allura” number 1 will be named “Allura.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Google is your friend...

Allura press releases, videos et al. will answer most of your queries. Just type “Oceania Allura.”

As for the name: Like “Regatta” being both the name of the class and the name of the first acquisition (NO - R ship does not stand for “Renaissance”), you can expect that “Allura” number 1 will be named “Allura.”

I had tried some internet searches but did not get anything new. If you have the magic touch and got more please pass on some news / links. Bear in mind google (annoyingly) returns results that in its wisdom believes is most relevant to the searcher (and their location) and so your result set could very well be much better than mine.

As for the name, based on history I don't assume that Allura (ship name) will be first in Allura class. Marina was their first Oceania class ship (and not Marina class). Hopefully you are correct as Allura is great name for an Oceania quality cruise ship.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What about Marina being the first O class ship?

PS I see that YoHoHo and I cross posted about Marina

Edited by Paulchili

6 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

-

As others have posted might be too soon and O is focused on other things  (and suffering staff / marketing shortages like everyone in drastic cut backs) so news might be slow to come out but I like this thread  - gives us some positive things to think about. So thanks for starting it.

I will be eager to sail the ship when new but no maiden voyage for me. Made that mistake already (though was still a fun cruise.) But ready to book...

10 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

What about Marina being the first O class ship?

Just my opinion - In hindsight, it probably would’ve been better to call each “new” class the letter of the first ship acquired/built. Thus, R for Regatta, M (instead of O) for Marina and, now A for Allura.

But, anyone can certainly understand that the line’s founders (FDR, Binder ...) wanted to have its very first new builds identified with the company name - O for Oceania.

I’ll be happy with whatever they want to call the first and/or second Allura ship (keeping in line with the names always ending in “a” as long as they don’t use “Corona.”

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Haha 2

"I’ll be happy with whatever they want to call the first and/or second Allura ship (keeping in line with the names always ending in “a” as long as they don’t use “Corona.” "  I wanted to post a little comment thing like 'like' or 'thanks'... but there wasn't one for ... 'groan'. ☺️

On 1/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, KatieBelle said:

-Katie

The delivery of the first Allura ship was postponed to 2023, and it wouldn't be a surprise if it were pushed off even further so don't expect to see any details or itineraries for quite a while. 

On 1/27/2021 at 5:41 AM, njhorseman said:

The delivery of the first Allura ship was postponed to 2023, and it wouldn't be a surprise if it were pushed off even further so don't expect to see any details or itineraries for quite a while. 

Can't wait for the new ships.  O does such a great job with new builds. Do hope they come sooner but either way we will be there.  

• Like 1

FYI, the OC Ambassador on our February 2020 Regatta cruise, told us that the name of the first Allura class ship was to be 'Vista' . She also indicated that the new Allura ship's schedule was to be available January 2021 which of course with the COVID-10 pandemic never happened :classic_sad: Time will tell what the official name and timing will be.

37 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

FYI, the OC Ambassador on our February 2020 Regatta cruise, told us that the name of the first Allura class ship was to be 'Vista' . She also indicated that the new Allura ship's schedule was to be available January 2021 which of course with the COVID-10 pandemic never happened :classic_sad: Time will tell what the official name and timing will be.

As the Regatta Class (“R”) equaled the name of its first ship, Regatta, so will the first ship in the Allura Class be named Allura. Vista is already in use as a name of a cabin class.

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As the Regatta Class (“R”) equaled the name of its first ship, Regatta, so will the first ship in the Allura Class be named Allura. Vista is already in use as a name of a cabin class.

Did we not have this discussion recently?

Marina & Riviera were not named Marina class but O class.

Who knows what Allura class ships will be called.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:53 AM, KatieBelle said:

-Katie

Allura has a name and it is not Allura

Jancruz1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So expound on this if you will. I've seen people on other boards refer to Azamara & Princess ships as R ships. If I'm not mistaken Renaissance numbered the ships. Was the first Oceania ship Regatta? I thought it was Insignia but they called it Regatta but later changed the name, or did I dream I read all that. 

At any rate why do many other posters refer to the non Oceania ships that came from Renaissance as R Ships if they're named after Regatta?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ORV said:

So expound on this if you will. I've seen people on other boards refer to Azamara & Princess ships as R ships. If I'm not mistaken Renaissance numbered the ships. Was the first Oceania ship Regatta? I thought it was Insignia but they called it Regatta but later changed the name, or did I dream I read all that. 

At any rate why do many other posters refer to the non Oceania ships that came from Renaissance as R Ships if they're named after Regatta?

Regatta was the first of the Renaissance ships acquired by Oceania. However, while Azamara and Princess referred to their Renaissance acquisitions as R ships (abbreviation of Renaissance), Oceania chose to refer to “R”Class as an abbreviation of the name it gave to its first acquisition which they named Regatta. Thus, an R ship on Oceania is a Regatta Class ship.

How do I know this for sure?

Minimally, it’s often an Oceania trivia question (which most folks get wrong). But, more importantly, it has been called Regatta Class by FDR and Bob Binder in press publications and broadcast/advertising media (e.g., in some of the videos for the NEXT renovations).

And, if you still doubt it, ask any Oceania GM the next time you are onboard.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Regatta was the first of the Renaissance ships acquired by Oceania. However, while Azamara and Princess referred to their Renaissance acquisitions as R ships (abbreviation of Renaissance), Oceania chose to refer to “R”Class as an abbreviation of the name it gave to its first acquisition which they named Regatta. Thus, an R ship on Oceania is a Regatta Class ship.

How do I know this for sure?

Minimally, it’s often an Oceania trivia question (which most folks get wrong). But, more importantly, it has been called Regatta Class by FDR and Bob Binder in press publications and broadcast/advertising media (e.g., in some of the videos for the NEXT renovations).

And, if you still doubt it, ask any Oceania GM the next time you are onboard.

So the hair is split between the terms " R Class" and "R Ships" I guess. 

• Haha 1

Regarding the "R Class" discussions.....

Renaissance Cruises called their larger ships the "R Class".   These refer to the eight nearly identical ships built between 1998 and 2001 at Chantiers de l'Atlantique.    They were named R One (R1) through R Eight (R8) holding ~684 passengers each.   R Seven and R Eight were slightly different in that Deck 8 had standard balcony staterooms rather than the larger suites known as Penthouse Suites on Oceania.   Azamara reconfigured Deck 8 to introduce their Club Spa and Club Continent Suites.

Renaissance also had their Renaissance Class of eight ships which is what the line started with - built between 1989 and 1998.   These held ~100 passengers each and were named Renaissance I through Renaissance VIII.  At the time of the Renaissance bankruptcy I believe that only two of the Renaissance Class ships were still with the line, the others having been sold off as the R Class ships came on line.

Joe

• Like 2