Single trip or Annual Insurance?

Tikka234

Hi we have 2 cruises booked one for end Aug transferred from May and one End Sept 2021 transferred from last year but have no insurance , which we haven't been able to get because of covid . Looking at insurances it's cheaper to get an annual insurance always had single trip before. When our cruise was cancelled last year we got 80% _of our insurance back. Which I don't think we would with an annual one. 

Really want to get insured still not a lot of choice around covering covid . 

Would you get Annaul of 2 single trips? 

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Thanks Annual it is then 

I suppose we will take out an annual policy once holidays restart, but I hope cruising does not suffer from the repeat lockdowns we have had. If there is a doubt about that then I may opt for a single trip for our first cruise in July.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suppose we will take out an annual policy once holidays restart, but I hope cruising does not suffer from the repeat lockdowns we have had. If there is a doubt about that then I may opt for a single trip for our first cruise in July.

Our 2 cruises are very close together 7 day fjord cruise end Aug and 14 night med cruise end sept, No idea if there go ahead and if they do now much restrictions, if we can't get off ships independently I think we'll transfer to next year will decide before we pay final payment

2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Just check cover is the same on the annual compared to single trip.

There should be absolutely no difference at all between the two. After all, you get the same document detailing the level of cover whether you take out a single or annual policy.  

Normally I'd say annual,  but I've had an annual and had  4 trips cancelled,  not a penny back. If you believe cruises will definitely go ahead annual.  But if you want to guard against cancellation,  2 singles  may cost more , but you will get some money back if cruise is cancelled. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Normally I'd say annual,  but I've had an annual and had  4 trips cancelled,  not a penny back. If you believe cruises will definitely go ahead annual.  But if you want to guard against cancellation,  2 singles  may cost more , but you will get some money back if cruise is cancelled. 

Surely, if the cruise/trip is cancelled, you will get a refund from the company involved,  so no need to involve your insurance company. 

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think windsurfboy was meaning a refund of part of your insurance premium.

Probably, some insurance companies have been making token gestures and giving customers something back. We are with staysure and they offered me nothing, they would not let me freeze the policy, they said that was because the policy was discounted. I asked if the policy hadn't been discounted would I have been able to freeze the policy, still no, so why mention the discount? They would offer me 15 months for the price of 12, I asked what use that was when we wouldn't be able to travel anyway, so she said we could buy a new 12 month policy and effectively start it within 12 months, I asked how they could freeze a future policy but not an existing one, she didn't have a reason for that. In the end I cancelled the policy and will buy a new one when it is required. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Probably, some insurance companies have been making token gestures and giving customers something back. We are with staysure and they offered me nothing, they would not let me freeze the policy, they said that was because the policy was discounted. I asked if the policy hadn't been discounted would I have been able to freeze the policy, still no, so why mention the discount? They would offer me 15 months for the price of 12, I asked what use that was when we wouldn't be able to travel anyway, so she said we could buy a new 12 month policy and effectively start it within 12 months, I asked how they could freeze a future policy but not an existing one, she didn't have a reason for that. In the end I cancelled the policy and will buy a new one when it is required. 

We got no refund or extension on our policy either. Annual policy with Insure and Go. We have let it lapse as well, and will look again once we have need of it.

• Like 1