Cruise Vaccine News

GA Dave

A small point of note. What about those people who doctors do not recommend should take the vaccine? People who have had previous allergic reactions to vaccinations, people who have had previous serious auto immune reactions? Despite having no health issues and living normal lives. Are they now supposed to be prisoners in their home? No air travel, no cruises, no trains, no buses, no shopping. A blanket No Vaccine, No Cruise seems harsh. 

Imagine if a future vaccine to contain a future disease contains say a nut protein, a stretch I know but for ease of an example, everyone needs the vaccine but people with nut allergies cannot take it. Are they supposed to be punished for a condition they have no control over?

So I think a blanket ban seems harsh. There must be consideration for medical exemptions. Science is science after all. 

As a side point of irritation. As for Covid-19, remember a year ago when using the term the China Virus, or Wuhan Virus, as it was initially called, suddenly was deemed politically incorrect because it may stigmatize Chinese people. Why then is it OK to use the term UK Variant, Brazil Variant, South Africa Variant. They all have actual Covid designations without country monikers. Are the news, The WHO,  suddenly OK with stigmatizing those countries. Just a point that seems to escape most people but irritates me. Consistency for all, not just when China takes offence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, triptastic3 said:

A small point of note. What about those people who doctors do not recommend should take the vaccine? People who have had previous allergic reactions to vaccinations, people who have had previous serious auto immune reactions? Despite having no health issues and living normal lives. Are they now supposed to be prisoners in their home? No air travel, no cruises, no trains, no buses, no shopping. A blanket No Vaccine, No Cruise seems harsh. 

Imagine if a future vaccine to contain a future disease contains say a nut protein, a stretch I know but for ease of an example, everyone needs the vaccine but people with nut allergies cannot take it. Are they supposed to be punished for a condition they have no control over?

So I think a blanket ban seems harsh. There must be consideration for medical exemptions. Science is science after all. 

As a side point of irritation. As for Covid-19, remember a year ago when using the term the China Virus, or Wuhan Virus, as it was initially called, suddenly was deemed politically incorrect because it may stigmatize Chinese people. Why then is it OK to use the term UK Variant, Brazil Variant, South Africa Variant. They all have actual Covid designations without country monikers. Are the news, The WHO,  suddenly OK with stigmatizing those countries. Just a point that seems to escape most people but irritates me. Consistency for all, not just when China takes offence.

Your first 3 paragraph are relevant to cruising. The last one is just a political red herring.

• Like 1

Just a quick story as an FYI to you all.  Friday morning I was working at home, as I do most days now, and my personal cell phone rang.  It was a local number, but not one that I recognized, so I just let it go to voicemail, thinking it was probably a telemarketer "bounce" call.  They did not leave a voicemail.  BUT, for some reason, my curiosity got to me and I looked up the number on Google.  Low and behold, it was from our County Health Department.  I called the number back immediately and the woman who answered knew my name when she answered (caller ID?).  She asked me if I was still interested in getting the Covid vaccine and I said absolutely.  I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday at 1:00 PM and the nurse who gave me the shot immediately scheduled the second dose for three weeks from yesterday at the same time.

If you get any calls with numbers you do not recognize, look them up.  It could be your local health people trying to contact you to set up an appointment.

• Like 1

Yea.  I'm a Vanderbilt cardiac customer.  I got two calls from them this past week asking if I wanted to schedule.  I have already received the first from our county health department though and have my second scheduled for next Tues.  Going to definitely have more peace of mind after that.  

• Like 1

A more recent article below.  No mention of exceptions or exemptions to vaccination requirement for passengers and crew alike but subject to availability.  We can only speculate when crew members could receive inoculations in their home countries.  

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-will-now-require-all-crew-to-be-vaccinated/?fbclid=IwAR2QFTEyH7-tRg5eB1NZDPi3l00xhG5aDSrs7JDVNiMGwv7nULEpySRodQ0

Edited by logan25

Traditional vaccines rely on herd immunity to protect those who cannot, for whatever reason, get that vaccine.  You're not going to get there with the covid vaccine until the end of 2021 or into 2022.  I just don't see cruise lines risking an outbreak on board to accommodate those who cannot or will not get the vaccine.  It's just not worth the risk to them.  Does it suck in the short term?  Yes.  But even though I am vaccinated, I'm not sure I will want to cruise in 2021 (and maybe 2022) unless 1) vaccines are required and 2) rapid testing is done prior to boarding.

• Like 2