Cruise Connoisseur Club

CruiseFlee

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As a kid, I used to run across the five(?) sets of trolley tracks on Empire Blvd(?) to get to the entrance of Ebbetts Field.

I too was in shock when “dem bums” went to L.A.. I remember being told “you can become a Yankees fan” which made zero sense to me since the Bronx was “upstate.” My answer: Fugheddaboutit!

Although I was a Yankees fan, Ebbets  Field was my favorite ballpark. The intimacy of that small stadium with the lights making the grass shine like an emerald just couldn't be matched by cavernous  ballparks like Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds. 

I think those childhood memories of the intimacy of Ebbets Field are why we were minor league baseball season ticket holders for almost 20 years...until first the pandemic and now the Yankees stripping our local team of their AA franchise robbed us of our summer entertainment.

Historical Note: I saw Jackie Robinson hit into a triple play at the Polo Grounds in 1955. For years no one believed me...until I was able to find this story verifying it:

https://napavalleyregister.com/sports/a-triple-play-makes-for-a-great-day/article_4cae1966-d563-510c-b7eb-2f17bb3ceaf1.html

Edited by njhorseman

The Dodgers left NYC 65 years ago. People born then are now eligible for Social Security. Just think, the beloved 58 Chevy was still three (3) years away. Renaissance Cruise Lines went out of business in September 2001, nearly20 years ago. Kids born that year are sophomores in college this year. Any guesses on who has such strong affections for R ships versus those that feel it’s time for Oceania to move on to newer ships?

How many of those Brooklyn Dodgers fans will likely be sailing in five (5) years? Tell me again what the dress code on the Mayflower was??

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The Dodgers left NYC 65 years ago. People born then are now eligible for Social Security. Just think, the beloved 58 Chevy was still three (3) years away. Renaissance Cruise Lines went out of business in September 2001, nearly20 years ago. Kids born that year are sophomores in college this year. Any guesses on who has such strong affections for R ships versus those that feel it’s time for Oceania to move on to newer ships?

How many of those Brooklyn Dodgers fans will likely be sailing in five (5) years? Tell me again what the dress code on the Mayflower was??

Had not thought about it this way.  Makes me feel old.  I guess it is because I am.  Still hope to be sailing in  5 years.  Even if it is only MIA to MIA or FLL to FLL.   Getting harder to fly so we will stay closer to home.  Stay safe everyone

On 1/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Living in California, I always enjoy testing just how much a modern era Dodgers fan really is a true fan of “dem bums.” My first question to a native Californian claiming to be a fan is to ask them how the Dodgers got their team name. In most cases, all I get is a puzzled look.

At least you presumably forgave them for moving.  I never have.  Became a turncoat and a Yankee fan.  Remember cutting college classes for the short train ride to 161st to see the Bombers play.

Sports "Forgiveness" not in our family, my DW from Baltimore refuses to ever use Mayflower for our moving because they were the company that moved the Colts to Indianapolis.

Edited by PaulMCO

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, PaulMCO said:

At least you presumably forgave them for moving.  I never have.  Became a turncoat and a Yankee fan.  Remember cutting college classes for the short train ride to 161st to see the Bombers play.

Sports "Forgiveness" not in our family, my DW from Baltimore refuses to ever use Mayflower for our moving because they were the company that moved the Colts to Indianapolis.

I never have either.  But did become a Mets fan.  They gave us some good times after the Dodgers  left us.

6 hours ago, RJB said:

I never have either.  But did become a Mets fan.  They gave us some good times after the Dodgers  left us.

They did some good plus some funny bad times in the Polo Grounds 🙂 and remember seeing in person Jim Bunning's perfect game against them..

On 1/22/2021 at 7:06 AM, pinotlover said:

I agree with all the recommendations that are given above. Jancruz could give clarity to this subject, but it appears that the OCC designation is a relic of the past, and in practical terms, no longer exists except in the memories of we oldsters. Since the acquisition of PCH by NCLH, a completely new tier of Agency incentives has been incorporated. Some of the older Agencies still showcase the OCC designation, but Agencies are no longer being added to it nor deleted from it based on current performance. Everything is now intertwined with NCLH as a practical manner. The Oceania “ preferred “ Agency list is now essentially the RSSC preferred list, and the NCL preferred list.

Be diligent, search for a good Travel Agent displaying strong Oceania knowledge, but don’t be to unsettled if the Agency didn’t get OCC recognition back in 2014. Life and times move forward whether our memories do or not.

OCC will be at the forefront when cruising starts up again!!

Jancruz1

The Brooklyn Brewery used to make a pale ale named Pennant Ale '55 to commemorate that one Brooklyn Dodgers World Series victory.  They would have called it the World Series Ale, but MLB claimed a copyright.  Luckily pennant is a word in the dictionary so you can't copyright it.  Unluckily IPAs eclipsed the popularity of pales, so they don't make it any more.