One way to get cruising started

uktog

I wonder if this is just the first of many - and seems the way forward in my mind.  I am sure they will be able to work around the tiny minority who have medical exemptions from vaccination.  It was stated on a local TV programme that was less than 0.01% of people who were to be vaccinated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918

This has been a topic of discussion on other boards, have thought for some time that this would be the best way to get back cruising but given the role out of the vaccine it would probably be 2022 before cruising could resume.

Saga’s demographic being the over 50’s it obviously easier for them, although their target of resuming in May is unrealistic. Currently the U.K. Government aims to give all over 70’s the first dose by mid February but currently are a little behind on this, we are in the next group so could expect our first by March. Given the 12 week spacing of jabs our second would probably be June so we, under Saga’s rules,  won’t be allowed to cruise until late June/early July. I can’t see those  under 50 being completed in the U.K. until late 2021, this is dependent on a good supply supply of the vaccine and currently we are one of the best performing countries.

Yes I think the timing is optimistic unless they go for low capacity soft launch return but the principle looks a positive option although I don't under estimate the drawbacks of the plan - but doesn't every plan have some drawback 🙂 

I suspect that all cruise lines will adopt this policy.  It should help prevent the shipboard outbreaks that have scuttled so many of the early start-up attempts, but more importantly it is a very reassuring public signal.  It may be early days to judge the true impact of 100% vaccinations onboard, but the perception will be very positive [and the limitation of liability to the companies, who can show they 'did all they could']

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I suspect that all cruise lines will adopt this policy.  It should help prevent the shipboard outbreaks that have scuttled so many of the early start-up attempts, but more importantly it is a very reassuring public signal.  It may be early days to judge the true impact of 100% vaccinations onboard, but the perception will be very positive [and the limitation of liability to the companies, who can show they 'did all they could']

If ships are going  to insist on passengers being vaccinated, I would like some assurance that the crew has been vaccinated as well.

Betsey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Trouble is there’s no evidence at present that the vaccination stops transmission of COVID, what it definitely does do is make sure that if you get it you won’t be really ill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

If ships are going  to insist on passengers being vaccinated, I would like some assurance that the crew has been vaccinated as well.

Betsey

That goes without saying.  Scotland won't let them in with it.

48 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Trouble is there’s no evidence at present that the vaccination stops transmission of COVID, what it definitely does do is make sure that if you get it you won’t be really ill.

It's not about the science, it's about CYA.

49 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That goes without saying.  Scotland won't let them in with it.

There is no requirement to be vaccinated before entry to the UK. A negative covid test is required which of course is only a one point at time check. The traveller has to then complete a period of quarantine. 

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's not about the science, it's about CYA.

I was really thinking about the fact that passengers may think having everyone, including crew, vaccinated would mean that no-one onboard could catch it. As far as we know at present, that’s not necessarily the case, 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I was really thinking about the fact that passengers may think having everyone, including crew, vaccinated would mean that no-one onboard could catch it. As far as we know at present, that’s not necessarily the case, 

There are no guarantees in life. Vaccines are 94 or so % effective, not 100%. But, if all people on a ship are vaccinated, there will not be mass outbreaks or spreads. That sounds good to me. There are all kinds of germs and viruses that we encounter everyday. If someone want no risk at all in life, they can try staying at home forever, but even that isn't 100% foolproof. If all passengers are vaccinated, the risk while onboard is VERY greatly diminished. Sounds good to me. Of course, once you get off the ship, who knows what sorts of pathogens you might encounter? 

• Like 1

It's not as if cruises were 'clean rooms' before Covid.  Remember 'cruise cough' and noro outbreaks?  Nothing is or will be perfect.  But if everyone on the ship has been vaccinated, I will feel it is safe to resume something like normal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's not as if cruises were 'clean rooms' before Covid.  Remember 'cruise cough' and noro outbreaks?  Nothing is or will be perfect...

Indeed, and if anyone dared to cough now they would find themselves immediately in a 20 metre and rapidly expanding  'single bubble'! 😂

Edited by hamrag

On 1/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

Equally there is no evidence that it doesn't stop transmission.  It may stop it, it may not.  The clinical trials were not set up to test that.   Largely due to the difficulty of answering that question in a 30,000 person clinical trials.

I say let the naysayers stay home. I only care if I am vaccinated. My risk goes down and I will travel and cruise if the opportunities become available.

- I don’t care if anyone else is vaccinated (I care..but it is their decision, and doesn’t really matter to me)

- Cleaning & Procedures: Sure, I want good food safety and cleaning standards but I mainly don’t want to be inconvenienced on my vacation for unnecessary procedures implemented to appease naysayers.

In the US, I will be very surprised if everyone who wants a vaccine that is 50 or older doesn’t get it by April. My wife got her first shot, and I am waiting for availability myself. I will try to get our 16 year old daughter vaccined before our cruise if at all possible (mainly to make traveling easier).

On 1/28/2021 at 6:26 AM, mdpa said:

In the US, I will be very surprised if everyone who wants a vaccine that is 50 or older doesn’t get it by April. 

That's rather optimistic based on the way the rollouts are going nationwide.   In our area, all appointments in the regional distribution center are booked through mid-April, and many people in the eligible age group (over 65) have been unable to get an appointment.   Supplies to local pharmacies, doctor's offices, hospitals, etc. are severely limited as well.