Quarantine soon to be mandatory for US arrivals

DCGuy64

I just found out that the US will shortly begin requiring BOTH a negative test result for COVID-19 AND a quarantine for all passengers arriving by air from outside the US, including US citizens and permanent residents returning home. (currently, there are some states that have their own quarantine requirements, but it appears this will now be mandatory on a nationwide scale).

Here's the order from the WH:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-promoting-covid-19-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/?fbclid=IwAR0hom18S3idyUHvi-Lqe1tr9_AZdd8VVLnB5IEqU9DIX8NBRk5IfSCxa0M

And here's an article from Conde Nast traveler about it:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/quarantine-after-international-travel-now-required-for-those-arriving-in-the-us

It's unclear to me at this point how long the quarantine will be and how it will be handled. For instance, since I already work from home, would I have to self-quarantine at home for whatever period of time the government requires, and does it mean I can't leave my house during that time? I don't know. I'm sure this story will develop as time goes on. But it certainly seems to have the potential to put a damper on international tourism.

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I just found out that the US will shortly begin requiring BOTH a negative test result for COVID-19 AND a quarantine for all passengers arriving by air from outside the US, including US citizens and permanent residents returning home. (currently, there are some states that have their own quarantine requirements, but it appears this will now be mandatory on a nationwide scale).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-promoting-covid-19-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/?fbclid=IwAR0hom18S3idyUHvi-Lqe1tr9_AZdd8VVLnB5IEqU9DIX8NBRk5IfSCxa0M

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/quarantine-after-international-travel-now-required-for-those-arriving-in-the-us

It's unclear to me at this point how long the quarantine will be and how it will be handled. For instance, since I already work from home, would I have to self-quarantine at home for whatever period of time the government requires, and does it mean I can't leave my house during that time? I don't know. I'm sure this story will develop as time goes on. But it certainly seems to have the potential to put a damper on international tourism.

DC... If that is the case then International travellers are unlikely to want to sail from the US, no point going all that way from Europe and have to quarantine before a cruise or holiday. I for one would not waste any money on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I thought health mandates were under the authority of each individual state, which is why we can't have a national mask mandate.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

I thought health mandates were under the authority of each individual state, which is why we can't have a national mask mandate.

Yes, you're right, up until now, it's been left to the state governors to decide. I believe the new administration is of the opinion that it's best to have a national strategy, which is why they're requiring the wearing of masks on Federal property and on airplanes and trains. (not saying I agree with it, BTW, I could state my own views but I might get banned for doing so, LOL)

25 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I believe the new administration is of the opinion that it's best to have a national strategy, which is why they're requiring the wearing of masks on Federal property and on airplanes and trains. 

....and ships/ferries, etc.  It is the legal role for the Federal government to regulate Interstate Commerce and to regulate entry into the United States.  That is what this Order is doing.  

Reading the President's Executive Order (and thanks to the OP for providing this), my Yellow Vaccination Record Folder is going to get renewed use.  It's been like a certain "credit card company's slogan":  I never leave home without it.  And, it seems like that is going to become even more important, maybe even for Interstate travel, I wonder.   

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

....and ships/ferries, etc.  It is the legal role for the Federal government to regulate Interstate Commerce and to regulate entry into the United States.  That is what this Order is doing.  

Reading the President's Executive Order (and thanks to the OP for providing this), my Yellow Vaccination Record Folder is going to get renewed use.  It's been like a certain "credit card company's slogan":  I never leave home without it.  And, it seems like that is going to become even more important, maybe even for Interstate travel, I wonder.   

Yes.  But once you are allowed into the States, you are under the jurisdiction of that state.  So if Florida decides they will  not honor the quarantine, they don't have to.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, DCGuy64 said:

as a child we called this tripe gobbely goop.  tell me anything in this garbage that is really new at all.  everything has already been being done by the January 12th actions of the CDC modified guidance.    

but he signed it..... that's taking ACTION!..... LOL

10 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Yes.  But once you are allowed into the States, you are under the jurisdiction of that state.  So if Florida decides they will  not honor the quarantine, they don't have to.

Respectfully, I disagree.  Is Florida a part of the United States of America or the Confederation of States of America?  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  Is Florida a part of the United States of America or the Confederation of States of America?  

I agree with you but let’s say KennyFla’s approach gains some traction.... maybe barring ships and flights to ports in Florida will help with adjusting the state’s approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I agree with you but let’s say KennyFla’s approach gains some traction.... maybe barring ships and flights to ports in Florida will help with adjusting the state’s approach.

$$ does have a "voice" sometimes.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

"Under the U.S. Constitution's 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions."

This is why New York can quarantine people coming into the state and other states don't.  If there is a federal ban on flying in from another country, once you get to the state (if you can) you are under local jurisdiction.  Not sure about flying state to state.

17 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Feel free to start your own personal boycott.