Article: "US Cruises Not Likely to Resume Until Fourth Quarter, or Early 2022"

Lee Cruiser

12 hours ago, skridge said:

You are very confident that a company that has been losing a billion dollars every couple of months since March is not going to file bankruptcy, when there is no end to this in sight.  I think they probably will not go bankrupt because of the millions of dollars in interest free loans many have been willing to give them, but I wouldn't bet any of my money on it.  

Lots of organizations file bankruptcy and keep operating. The worry for a traveler isn't bankruptcy, but total dissolution of the company. Given the fact that they are still building new ships and dissolving a company that was profitable prior to the pandemic seems a rather poor way to recover funds, I'm confident I'll be able to sail. After all, if you loaned money to Carnival, would you rather them break up all of their ships for pennies on the dollar, or wait till the pandemic ends to see real cash flowing again?

As a very small time stockholder, I'm far more concerned about the value of my stock, especially in the case of bankruptcy. But I think it's important to separate the conversation for an investor and a traveler. 

2 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Lots of organizations file bankruptcy and keep operating. The worry for a traveler isn't bankruptcy, but total dissolution of the company. Given the fact that they are still building new ships and dissolving a company that was profitable prior to the pandemic seems a rather poor way to recover funds, I'm confident I'll be able to sail. After all, if you loaned money to Carnival, would you rather them break up all of their ships for pennies on the dollar, or wait till the pandemic ends to see real cash flowing again?

As a very small time stockholder, I'm far more concerned about the value of my stock, especially in the case of bankruptcy. But I think it's important to separate the conversation for an investor and a traveler. 

All absolutely true.  As a stockholder, I'm not so optimistic about Carnival's future investment-wise.  I do think that there is a chance they will file bankruptcy, but almost definitely for the purposes of reorganization.  I'd be worried about having credits/gift cards, etc just sitting around unused as at that point we would all be unsecured creditors.  But having funds in any form attached to a booking?  No bankruptcy judge is going to undo forward bookings for a company looking to continue operations (assuming those bookings are all at reasonable market prices).  If they did, there would be no continuing business.  So I'm far less worried about having a future booking with funds that are currently with Carnival.  Presumably they will be back at some point and those funds will turn into an actual cruise.  Now if the company dissolves, obviously that's another story, but I don't see that as nearly as likely as reorganizing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Uh, no, that isn't true. Plenty of people on here are from Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, as well as countries in Asia and South America. I have never seen an actual poll taken, but Americans are definitely not most of the people on CC. It would be interesting to see the statistics, actually.

You're wrong...mostly US citizens on this site. Yes, there are other people from other nations, but mostly US citizens on this site.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Just look at this thread, mainly US citizens posting...

Ah, you're talking about just this thread, gotcha. Yeah, that's probably mostly US citizens. I thought you were talking about all of Cruise Critic. I must have misunderstood you, sorry for the confusion, 

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Uh, no, that isn't true. Plenty of people on here are from Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, as well as countries in Asia and South America. I have never seen an actual poll taken, but Americans are definitely not most of the people on CC. It would be interesting to see the statistics, actually.

I think that it would be interesting to see how many members we have on CC from each country  - not to make any kind of point, but simply to have fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

I think that it would be interesting to see how many members we have on CC from each country  - not to make any kind of point, but simply to have fun.

I agree, it might make for a fun sort of geography experiment. 

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

You're wrong...mostly US citizens on this site. Yes, there are other people from other nations, but mostly US citizens on this site.

Sounds logical. CC is an English speaking site and US is a big country comparing to the other nations mentioned.

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'll put a slightly finer point on this, related to the other responses:

For this Carnival Cruise Line sub-forum of CC, the majority of posters will be from the US, because that is where all the departure ports are for the US portion of CCL.  Aussie & Kiwi cruisers have a section of their own here on CC.  UK Cruisers have their own area too.

Yes, there will be folks from other countries posting here, with the majority of those likely from Canada.

The number of threads I have seen in this forum pertaining to the Aussie and European-based cruises sailed by CCL is a very small proportion.

7 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I'll put a slightly finer point on this, related to the other responses:

For this Carnival Cruise Line sub-forum of CC, the majority of posters will be from the US, because that is where all the departure ports are for the US portion of CCL.  Aussie & Kiwi cruisers have a section of their own here on CC.  UK Cruisers have their own area too.

Yes, there will be folks from other countries posting here, with the majority of those likely from Canada.

The number of threads I have seen in this forum pertaining to the Aussie and European-based cruises sailed by CCL is a very small proportion.

Agreed, I believe the other poster had said that most people "on this site" were Americans, but I think he mean "site" as in the Carnival forum, not all of Cruise Critic. I misunderstood him.

Anyway, it's a great site, no matter where you live!

6 hours ago, sarmat1 said:

All absolutely true.  As a stockholder, I'm not so optimistic about Carnival's future investment-wise.  I do think that there is a chance they will file bankruptcy, but almost definitely for the purposes of reorganization.  I'd be worried about having credits/gift cards, etc just sitting around unused as at that point we would all be unsecured creditors.  But having funds in any form attached to a booking?  No bankruptcy judge is going to undo forward bookings for a company looking to continue operations (assuming those bookings are all at reasonable market prices).  If they did, there would be no continuing business.  So I'm far less worried about having a future booking with funds that are currently with Carnival.  Presumably they will be back at some point and those funds will turn into an actual cruise.  Now if the company dissolves, obviously that's another story, but I don't see that as nearly as likely as reorganizing. 

100% agreed. 

I really hope that they cancel cruises thru the end of September.  I had booked 3 cruises before the Covid for year 2021, and no way do I want to cruise during 2021.  I want a do-over on my bookings without penalties.  The only way that would happen is if they cancelled all cruises thru the end of September.  If I cancel myself, it would cost me quite a bit of money.

25 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I really hope that they cancel cruises thru the end of September.  I had booked 3 cruises before the Covid for year 2021, and no way do I want to cruise during 2021.  I want a do-over on my bookings without penalties.  The only way that would happen is if they cancelled all cruises thru the end of September.  If I cancel myself, it would cost me quite a bit of money.

Most will be canceled unless out of Florida and maybe Texas thru September.

Which cruise are you on?

On 1/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, ontheweb said:

Here is what the other is trying to do---get to the root problem and get past the pandemic. One had no plan in place to distribute the vaccine; the other is trying to solve that problem by whatever means are necessary.

Grape or fruit punch?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

Right, just put all the restaurants out of business. There's no reason people can't go out to eat and do it safely and support local businesses. Why don't we just shut every business down and make people stay home. Why pick and choose which ones go under. 

We eat take out often. You can buy gift cards. There's innumerable ways to support your favorite local restaurant other than exposing yourself and others for the next few weeks. 

We're not picking and choosing. The way the virus spreads is determining that — the science and the data. I'm a former restaurant owner. I wouldn't put making a few extra dollars ahead of the health and safety of my employees and customers. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lesnpaula said:

We eat take out often. You can buy gift cards. There's innumerable ways to support your favorite local restaurant other than exposing yourself and others for the next few weeks. 

We're not picking and choosing. The way the virus spreads is determining that — the science and the data. I'm a former restaurant owner. I wouldn't put making a few extra dollars ahead of the health and safety of my employees and customers. 

The restaurants that need it the most maybe don't have gift cards. If they do what if you buy them and they still go out of business? You just lose your money right? I've been eating in restaurants since June. They all have their protocols. Some of them have been relaxed since June. But even with that I know restaurants that have been open for decades that are permanently closed now. Being shut down in April and May was too much for them. It's not necessarily about making a couple extra bucks. It's about surviving and keeping people employed.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lesnpaula said:

Or. . . .crazy thought here. . .you could just not eat in a restaurant for a couple more months until we get vaccinated. It's not that tough. 

I am sure Restaurant owners and workers are thrilled with your advice after being devastated for a year and barely holding on as it is. Carnival can weather the storm, your local BBQ joint is going out of business to thunderous applause :classic_dry:

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, nanowerx said:

I am sure Restaurant owners and workers are thrilled with your advice after being devastated for a year and barely holding on as it is. Carnival can weather the storm, your local BBQ joint is going out of business to thunderous applause :classic_dry:

There should have been more assistance for all Americans (including small business owners) during this global pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Trillions of dollars were spent on that.

I have a small business with about 100k in revenue a year.  The amount of money I take home I could make working fries at McDonalds.  I applied twice for the assistance and got turned down both times.  The "Trillions" of dollars did not make it to all the small businesses.  I do know a lot of big businesses that got the money.  (Harvard, Ruth's Chris etc.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skridge said:

I have a small business with about 100k in revenue a year.  The amount of money I take home I could make working fries at McDonalds.  I applied twice for the assistance and got turned down both times.  The "Trillions" of dollars did not make it to all the small businesses.  I do know a lot of big businesses that got the money.  (Harvard, Ruth's Chris etc.)

I don't think I said it worked perfectly. I said trillions were spent on it.  I was pretty ticked to see Tom Brady got 1 million dollars of it.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 5:14 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

Covid cases are no lower in states with strict masks orders and bans on dining and capacity limits than those without. There is plenty of recent research on this.

The only effective method to avoid covid is to isolate yourself from a source.

Large number of nursing home patients continue to get covid and die from it. The workers at these places are the major source of spread and they follow all the mask wearing, hand washing, distancing stuff and it still does not work.

BINGO!

• Like 3