Saga announces only vaccinated passengers can sail. Do you think Princess will follow?

2ferfun

Although I think it's good, what happens with kids?? Those under 16 are not being vaccinated here. Also per link: "Saga said crew, who largely skew younger, would not need to be vaccinated before working on board, stating that other protocols would be in place to protect staff until they're able to receive inoculation."

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Simple.  Kids are carriers.  Neither they or their families sail.

DON

So PCL will turn into a line for just old people? Guess that would solve minimizing passengers as no one would book more than 2 in a stateroom 

24 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/saga-cruises-vaccine/index.html

Article describes SAGA's plan to allow only vaccinated passengers to sail.  Do you think its a good idea and do you think Princess and other mainstream lines will follow suit?

Pretty sure this will be standard across the board. Those wanting trip insurance may be required to show proof. Can't see much sailing happening until at least late this year. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ombud said:

So PCL will turn into a line for just old people? Guess that would solve minimizing passengers as no one would book more than 2 in a stateroom 

In the short term, you are probably right.  However, there is a difference between old people and middle aged people who either don't or are done w their kids.  Also, in today's world, many younger people decide not to have kids so the ship will not be 100% old people.

DON

• Like 3

I believe in equality... I would be much more comfortable if the following vaccination documentation is required:

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella,)

Pneumonia (the two rounds)

DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus)

Chickenpox Varicella

Influenza (annually)

Shingles

Hepatitis A & B

Meningitis

Polio

Our daughter and son in law refuse to allow us around their children

without being current on these.

When working in an Assisted Living Facility, I contracted pneumonia... not fun.

And I would hate to spread any of these to anyone, let alone a child or pregnant woman.

And these vaccinations are not fun for me. I unpleasantly react to each one... except my last flu

shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Although I think it's good, what happens with kids?? Those under 16 are not being vaccinated here. Also per link: "Saga said crew, who largely skew younger, would not need to be vaccinated before working on board, stating that other protocols would be in place to protect staff until they're able to receive inoculation."

if crew do not get vaccinations before working I would object. Not for me 

• Like 4

Regardless of the PR fiasco they might have to navigate, I think the companies are more and more likely to head in this direction, especially if more land-based businesses in the travel industry introduce the requirement as well. And IMO it's all about keeping business going and avoiding needless liability. Money always talks.

And I'm completely unsurprised by Saga's action in taking on vaccines first, because its clientele is specifically elderly; one massive outbreak and that could be it for the company.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

So what will Carnival, Disney, & RCI do? The lines with playgrounds onboard. Will they remove those areas?

I think you mean "close" them instead of actually removing them? haha because actually removing them would be kind of expensive, especially when playgrounds will be OK in the future. 

As for the ornate water parks that exist on these ships, I think they'd enforce crowd control measures, but I wouldn't fully rule out an entire closure.

2 hours ago, 2ferfun said:

Do you think its a good idea and do you think Princess and other mainstream lines will follow suit?

I hope so.  Maybe if the bigger lines see that SAGA's vaccine requirement is working, they'll hop onboard the vaccine train.  I wonder if the CDC will also be paying attention.

I also noted the article stated "Saga confirmed to CNN Travel that it will still instigate other safety measures on board its sailings, including reduced capacity, pre-departure Covid-19 testing, social distancing, increasing cabin air flow and improving on-board medical facilities."  There was no mention of a continuing need to wear masks onboard.  I like that...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

I believe in equality... I would be much more comfortable if the following vaccination documentation is required:

Chickenpox Varicella

Influenza (annually)

Shingles

Hepatitis A & B

Meningitis

Polio

Not likely... I don't need the MMR vaccination because I already had Measles, Mumps, and Rubella as a child. I also had Chickenpox. Having had those diseases I don't have any sort of vaccination records for them. Some of the others - Polio and DPT - were very commonly done when I was young but I don't have any sort of record to verify them. I guess the scar on my shoulder might provide partial proof. How in the world would people go about getting documentation of things done 60 or 70 years ago when they were children?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

I will only feel really safe unless vaccination is required. Plus I believe many countries will require proof of vaccination to enter their borders 

This is the main point.  PCL will require vaccination proof because Canada, Mexico, and others will require.  I remember passengers being denied boarding because they failed to get a Brazilian visa.   This will likely be just another boarding requirement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Not likely... I don't need the MMR vaccination because I already had Measles, Mumps, and Rubella as a child. I also had Chickenpox. Having had those diseases I don't have any sort of vaccination records for them. Some of the others - Polio and DPT - were very commonly done when I was young but I don't have any sort of record to verify them. I guess the scar on my shoulder might provide partial proof. How in the world would people go about getting documentation of things done 60 or 70 years ago when they were children?

Absolutely! I get it. I do not even have a scar from the one from smallpox.

I threw a wrench in the works to create food for thought.

HOWEVER, some need updating like DPT (good for ten years), pneumonia, and of course our yearly

influenza shot. I even had to have a new MMR vaccine after I gave birth because they said

I did not have the antibodies anymore. And our daughter had to have a new MMR because

they said she did not have the antibodies anymore either ( before she became pregnant again).

And now, we are supposed to get the new Shingles vaccine. So.......... there are many which

would be current that for which we can present the documentation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nini said:

Chickenpox Varicella

Influenza (annually)

Shingles

Hepatitis A & B

Meningitis

Polio

And I would hate to spread any of these to anyone, let alone a child or pregnant woman.

And these vaccinations are not fun for me. I unpleasantly react to each one... except my last flu

shot.

The problem for this is that many of those vaccines were not in use for people over 60.  Granted, they could have a titer to show they have antibodies but the vaccine?  no.  

16 minutes ago, nini said:

we are supposed to get the new Shingles vaccine. So.......... there are many which

would be current that for which we can present the documentation.

Thank you for your thoughts. I will leave medical & vaccine decisions to my MD. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

This is the main point.  PCL will require vaccination proof because Canada, Mexico, and others will require.  I remember passengers being denied boarding because they failed to get a Brazilian visa.   This will likely be just another boarding requirement. 

Several years ago I had to show proof of malaria protection to even get on an airplane to the Amazonia region of Brazil and show yellow fever vaccination proof to get on the ship in Manaus because our itinerary included Devils Island 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nini said:

Chickenpox Varicella

Influenza (annually)

Shingles

Hepatitis A & B

Meningitis

Polio

shot.

The difference between Covid and most of the diseases on your list w the exception of MMR is that if you catch them, it affects you and not the rest of us.  I would only require vaccinations for transmittable diseases.  Why should science even bother to develop vaccines if people are not required to take them.

There is a difference between public health and private health.  Private health does not have an impact on the population as a whole.  Public health does.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 5

I see a major point overlooked here, If every passenger is vaccinated they are approx 95% protected even if they cross paths with someone who isn't. The crew would be safe from passengers if all pax were vaccinated and vica versa. The danger would essentially be to the crew if they went ashore where it is unknown if the people they encounter are not vaccinated or carriers. Pax wouldn't be at such a risk if they had their vaccination. 

• Like 1