Main dining room menu after Covid.

fred549

I don't see why it'd be necessary to come up with a new menu. Many restaurants around here have limited menus, but it's still the same items from their usual menus and is only done to make it easier to adjust to a carry-out only service. Also because they do much less business, they can't stock the amounts of food items they normally would or they'd go to waste. If anything, maybe Carnival would do something like that in the beginning, if there's going to be limited-capacity cruises. But I could see them keeping the full menu, too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Disposable,  single use,  paper menus.  

You are probally right, but this will be a waste since there is no evidence of surface transmission on objects such as menus. (Plus, Carnival will not sail until the cases are greatly reduced.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I hope not!!

^ Me too, quite frankly!

I should have put an lol after my comment, but forgot to .. sorry.

I should imagine Crew eat quite well -

after all .. an army marches on its belly, as they say.

I've heard they often have their own (ethnic) cook-ups on Decks A, B and C
where the resulting fare is not what is served in the MDR on higher decks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Disposable,  single use,  paper menus.  

It's been so long now...but was it Carnival, or some other line, where on the newer ships, the menus appear on your phone with a UPC?  And I think they were already available on phones just from the hub.

33 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

^ Me too, quite frankly!

No problem AP!!

Message boards are funny, if you dont tell certain ppl your kidding or whatever, they just dont get it sometimes. But i knew you were kidding. 

I've heard the same thing about the crew when it comes to their meals. Good for them, they work really hard and deserve great meals.

I just hope it gets back to some kind of normal cruising again. Not the "New Normal"...😷

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, stellarose said:

or paperless and you use the QR code with your phone 

Hope not.  Don't like carrying my phone with me on ship.  Like to "disconnect" a bit while cruising.  The menus on all the ships I have sailed on sometimes were a bit grungy from use so paper wouldn't be much of a hassle for us.    The again, we always sanitize our hands after touching them - paper or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naxer said:

It's been so long now...but was it Carnival, or some other line, where on the newer ships, the menus appear on your phone with a UPC?  And I think they were already available on phones just from the hub.

Royal Caribbean had a video with using the QR code to bring up the menu. For years the hub and sometimes the tv in your stateroom had the menu too. On a few cruises i noticed the hub/tv menu can be different with the actual menu in the dinning room. that happen to me a few times

I saw the limited paper menus back over the summer but not so much anymore. Now the restaurants I go to all have their full menu available. Some are QR codes with menus available on request. Some have gone back to the regular menus.

On the ship I think they’ll probably encourage using the display menus outside of the MDR and the hub app menu..and maybe have physical menus available on request.  I’m good with the hub app menu. I never liked touching menus before I eat anyway.

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

^ Me too, quite frankly!

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

No problem AP!!

Message boards are funny, if you dont tell certain ppl your kidding or whatever, they just dont get it sometimes. But i knew you were kidding. 

I've heard the same thing about the crew when it comes to their meals. Good for them, they work really hard and deserve great meals.

I just hope it gets back to some kind of normal cruising again. Not the "New Normal"...😷

While the crew food can entail ethnic choices, and there used to be more than one crew mess hall, so that different choices and ethnicities could be addressed at the same time, don't believe that crew "eat well".  Nothing that comes out of the crew galley's are in any way cuisine.  If it is ethnic, it is plain comfort food.  Crew meals also tend to be on 10-14 day rotations, so over 10 months you get pretty tired of the choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While the crew food can entail ethnic choices,

and there used to be more than one crew mess hall,

so that different choices and ethnicities could be addressed at the same time

- don't believe that crew "eat well". 

Nothing that comes out of the crew galley's are in any way cuisine.

If it is ethnic, it is plain comfort food. 

Crew meals also tend to be on 10-14 day rotations,

so over 10 months you get pretty tired of the choices.

Interesting insight to behind-the-scenes operation -always welcome!

Many thanks for all your inputs, this and so many others.

4 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Probably some kind of REM meals in a pouch...😝  j/k

Hey now, some of them can be quite good. On the other hand, true military-grade MRE's are designed to be extremely high in calories. Way back when, they were around 3,000 each. So some folks might want to do a few extra laps around the track. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While the crew food can entail ethnic choices, and there used to be more than one crew mess hall, so that different choices and ethnicities could be addressed at the same time, don't believe that crew "eat well".  Nothing that comes out of the crew galley's are in any way cuisine.  If it is ethnic, it is plain comfort food.  Crew meals also tend to be on 10-14 day rotations, so over 10 months you get pretty tired of the choices.

If I remember correctly from a few of the Behind the Fun tours I have taken, Carnival does a 28 day rotation.  Your point still stands.

1 hour ago, Tiger0613 said:

If I remember correctly from a few of the Behind the Fun tours I have taken, Carnival does a 28 day rotation.  Your point still stands.

Our discussions with Carnival crew members corroborates the 28 day rotation.  They also told us that they can submit requests for a specific entree native to their country to be featured during the rotation, but are not guaranteed that the request will be honored.